News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chrysler99

chrysler99 Profile Photo
Member Name: chrysler99
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Leslie Kritzer and Doug Kreeger to Star in 'ROOMS, a rock romance' at N
 Jan 25 2009, 04:12:38 PM

good for Rooms!

re: Incredible Fascination with the 1994 Production of Carousel (And genera
 Jan 19 2009, 06:10:05 PM
have to agree that the sets and staging of this production were phenomenal. just thinking of the fluid opening sequence (which just went on and on in wonderful fashion), I still get the chills.

this was definitely one of my top theater-going experiences.

re: Favorite Set Designs
 Jan 4 2009, 11:22:07 PM

I was barely of theater-going age in 1973, but I do recall my grandparents attending and leaving once they saw that the traditional seats were replaced by backless benches.

meanwhile, I was shocked how difficult it was to find any pictures from this production on the web.

re: Favorite Set Designs
 Jan 4 2009, 02:19:52 AM
this is not a great picture, but it gives you some idea of the 1973 environmental staging of Candide. I found the photo in an eBay listing of the program. Somewhere in my Dad's basement I probably have the original cast album from that production. I think there were a number of photos from the show within the fold.
re: Did ROOMS: A Rock Romance open?
 Jan 3 2009, 06:58:30 PM

I've heard that Rooms is very much alive, looking for a mid-late winter opening in NY. I hope this is true since I never made it to DC last Summer to see it.

re: 4% Tax on Theater Tickets Propsed by Gov.
 Dec 21 2008, 01:41:48 PM

oy is right! tough times just got worse! Although I question how fast Mary Poppins might go down, as suggested by the article. It sounds like they sold a lot of tickets during the initial days of the kids go free on bway promotion. they might be able to hang on till some tourists return in the Spring. I would think that Disney does not want its flagship theater sitting dark if it can possibly avoid it.

re: HAIR having trouble raising money; DANCIN' 'postponed'?
 Dec 16 2008, 02:37:14 PM
for better or for worse, Roundabout is often guilty of changing its announced schedule. sometimes it's money, often it's cast availability. it's just one of those things. frankly, I'd take a star-laden cast of Godot than a revival of Dancin' any day.

and while you can't change shows, you can easily change dates with Roundabout for the specific show. overall, if I enjoy more than half the shows offered in a given year, I'm satisfied. with a subscription, you always have to take the ba

re: Hoff Withdraws from PAL JOEY, Risch Takes Over
 Nov 24 2008, 11:56:13 PM

^^^^^ LOL PJ.

As a Roundabout subscriber, I don't care who is playing Joey, so long as he's good in the part. And while I usually enjoy the casting at Roundabout productions, I don't renew based on who's been cast in what show. Given Roundabout's track record in changing shows from their announced schedule, you CAN'T renew based on the expectation of a certain actor.

I see the show the day after the new opening night and I'm very much looking forward to it.

re: Curtain Call of Billy Elliot... ruins the show?
 Nov 21 2008, 04:07:41 PM
I loved the curtain call!
re: jv92 sees 'Road Show'
 Nov 17 2008, 02:09:37 PM
While I won't see Road Show until next month, I did see Bounce in DC and have the recording. At least based on the Bounce version, I think that "The Best Thing That Has Ever Happened" was already worthy of being part of the Sondheim canon. Presumably, now it's even better....
re: Grosses/Nut
 Oct 27 2008, 01:39:46 PM

Also keep in mind that a nut can change once the show re-coups. certain insiders (like the creatives) will likely be entitled to higher weekly payments that were put off initially to make the show more profitable (or to attract investors). once the investors are paid back, the insiders can and do reap larger payments thereby increasing the nut.

re: Spring Awakeing tour taped for PBS?
 Oct 26 2008, 04:42:34 PM
I know for an absolute fact that the off-bway production of SA was taped and is in the archives at Lincoln Center. I don't know if they taped the Broadway production subsequently.

I'd be surprised if PBS taped SA. Taping this production of Gypsy would be cool, but I'll survive without seeing it again.

re: SPEED-the-PLOW Reviews
 Oct 24 2008, 06:41:10 PM
I saw it on the 14th and I thought that it was getting there pretty well. my big objection was the timing between Bobby and Charlie in the 1st act and that was just a question of, um, time, before they got that done. and clearly another week was what they needed. good for cast and crew, well deserved!
re: What's Next For The Eugene O'Neill Theatre?
 Oct 24 2008, 06:14:09 PM

yeah, no extension for SA. if Hunter is signed through Jan. 18th, there's no way they hire and train and promote someone new. way too expensive. sad but true.

re: Lauren Bacall: The Grass Is Always Greener
 Oct 21 2008, 10:47:24 PM

Didn't Marilyn Cooper win a Supporting Tony for that role (which, I think, was just that song)?

When I finally got around to seeing this show, Raquel Welch had replaced Lauren. during Grass is Always Greener, Raquel forgot the words and started laughing. they had to stop the song several times before Raquel could regain her composure. the audience loved it!

re: Speed the Plow
 Oct 15 2008, 01:56:18 PM

I didn't think Raul was mis-cast at all (nor did my friends in attendance). Actually, it seemed like it was easiest to accept Raul in his role because it took awhile to remove Jeremy from Ari Gold and Elizabeth from her role in Mad Men.

re: Speed the Plow
 Oct 15 2008, 09:27:09 AM

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. very entertaining, typical Mamet. I think they are still working on the timing in some places (or that they should do so). the fight scene needs some work as well.

All three of the actors were very good. Although I think Raul came off the best.

p.s. I thought the scene transitions were really well-done.

re: HAIRSPRAY & Harvey - What's really happening??
 Oct 4 2008, 05:07:53 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. late January and Feb is not the time to extend a show that isn't selling enough tickets in September.

re: Have you ever seen a Broadway performer on the Subway?
 Oct 4 2008, 04:55:09 PM

Last year I rode the subway for a couple of stops sitting across from Jonathan Groff. he had Hair sheet music in hand (it was before the concert perf).

re: It's official. Hairspray to close!
 Oct 3 2008, 02:06:35 PM

While sad news indeed, this should not be a complete surprise to anyone. before the movie came out, the show would probably have closed last year, even with all the stunt casting.

great to hear Harvey is returning to close out the show. I wonder if they'd try and get Nikki to come in for a couple of months?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You