News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jotebry

Member Name: Jotebry
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

IT'S ONLY A PLAY Reviews
 Oct 11 2014, 11:53:28 PM
I suggest it's because Broderick is a fine, winsome actor who can underplay a role, offering a nice contrast to the mayhem going on around him. You'll notice how in this play his droll, earnest monotone sets him up nicely for what brings the loudest single laugh in the play...when he responds to Ira Drew's question..."What wouldn't you do for a good review ?"
IT'S ONLY A PLAY Reviews
 Oct 10 2014, 02:46:02 AM
"those sloppy kiss tributes to the theatre delivered by Peter and James are deeply felt and honestly moving. And if you don't share the gooey sentiments, you really shouldn't be at this show." Marilyn Stasio-Variety

You tell em', Marilyn. This is a fun show, that audiences love, and only a few snarky critics hoping to make a name for themselves have tried to peck it to death. Sorry, but they're throwing spit-balls at a 747. This baby soars, and that's why fans are flocking to see

It's only a play previews
 Sep 21 2014, 05:27:56 AM
Holy Moly Broadway Ben...Who pissed in your corn flakes ? Well, everyone is entitled to their own ridiculous opinion. Thanks for sharing yours. I've shared my positive opinion of this very funny play earlier, as have many others. Sorry, but in my humble opinion, you really missed the boat on this one.
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 6 2014, 10:35:19 PM
My trip to N.Y. is over, so I'm done here, but re. your last post After Eight...I gladly invite anyone who reads this board to check this thread from the beginning and see who they think, in your words... "needs to grow up and act like a mature adult because he posts immature, infantile and insulting reactions." Thanks to those who made a newcomer to the board feel welcome. Happy theatre going to all !
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 6 2014, 04:44:34 AM
Real nice mjohnson2...Only saw 2 shows during my Broadway trip from out west, and this one is the one I really wanted to see. It was only my third time to N.Y. in 15 years. I'd anticipated the first preview of IOAP for months, looking for news on the web about anything leading up to the play, as I had tickets for the 3rd preview...I find this site, join the message board, and then because I like the show, really like it, get slammed by you and a few others who hate it because I stand up for it
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 6 2014, 03:20:21 AM
"How is it a hate fest ?" You asked, mjohnson2, so I'll reply.
My comment was in response to Lights Out 90 who, because of my positive comments told me to "go shill elsewhere. Signed, everybody here". Of course I know he doesn't speak for everyone on this board because of the positive comments people have left, but when I read the venomous comments like his and yours mjohnson2..."every single joke falls flat on its face." "Besides Nathan Lane,rest of the cast is entirely flat and miscast

It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 6 2014, 12:38:30 AM
Okay...I'm done saying good things about this show that I truly enjoyed. Let the hate fest continue. And, for the record, I'm not a shill as I have no connection to the show and certainly received nothing from anyone for expressing my opinions. Can't help but wonder if some of the haters are themselves...shills against the show.
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 5 2014, 09:25:41 PM
Seems a shame to write off an updated revival because someone remembers the original's humor being "largely based on inside jokes and name dropping." Having seen the revival's third preview, I assure you that inside jokes and name dropping are only a small part of the revival's humor. What has gone unmentioned in the thread so far is the wonderful heart and soul of the play, which in my opinion Mr. McNally has strengthened quite a bit from the original. Won't spoil anything by getting into speci
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 5 2014, 04:37:20 PM
dramamama611...I didn't say anyone's opinion was wrong. After seeing It's Only a Play, I merely gave my opinion of their opinion, pointing out that in my opinion their opinion unfairly trashed and totally dismissed a lot of talented people's excellent work. I'm a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their own ridiculous opinion. Me included. lol.
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 5 2014, 03:00:47 AM
And, that's why I called it a high octane comedy that borders on farce. I don't think it's a farce either, but I do think there are moments when it almost crosses the border. lol How ever one classifies it, I think it is Very funny.
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 5 2014, 01:30:59 AM
Wow, "After Eight", doesn't sound like you were in the mood for a high octane comedy that borders on farce. Did you not read or hear any of the pre-show publicity about what this updated comedy was about ? Never read such an idiotic, one-sided review that totally missed the boat as yours did. The six actors other than Nathan Lane all "sank like stones in the morass ?" Whew, hope you're feeling better soon.
YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU previews.
 Sep 4 2014, 03:10:43 AM
Good show with good performances by all, but it feels "ancient". Also, can't remember now who said it first or best, but...two intermissions is too much. Face it, attention span of modern day audiences is not what it used to be, especially in the 1930's. A lot of fidgeting at the preview I saw. For my money, It's Only A Play is a much better time at the theatre...although, that's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Just saying.
Broadway Fall 2014: Which Show Most Excites You
 Sep 4 2014, 02:51:02 AM
It's Only A Play...because of the cast and was curious to see how McNally revised his earlier work. Saw a preview and LOVED it ! Did think the first act was a tad long. Dying to see if he cuts anything before it Opens.
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 4 2014, 02:45:29 AM
Sauja...Just curious...if you think Stockard Channing and Megan Mullally were "terribly miscast" , who do you think would have been better in those roles ? Do agree that the first act could and perhaps should have been shorter.
It's Only A Play People!
 Sep 1 2014, 05:32:46 PM
Didn't stick around after the show to check box office activity, Namo, but I can tell you, the buzz I heard leaving the theatre was very positive. Think most of the audience enjoyed the show as much as I did. What's not to like ? Okay, maybe it does run a tad long, and it will be interesting to see later in the run what, if anything gets cut. But I'm not seeing it again till early December, so I may not recognize if anything is cut. Just have to go by the running time.
It's Only A Play People!
 Aug 30 2014, 05:14:52 PM
First Saturday matinee preview was Wonderful ! What a show, what a cast, what a great time in the theatre !!! Was skeptical that Terrence McNally's updating of the 1980's comedy would deliver the goods. Boy, does it ! Funny stuff. Didn't get a few of the inside theatre jokes, but just a few. Thought I would miss his dropping the taxi driver character, but I didn't. Don't understand the Matthew Broderick hating. His character is the heart and soul of the play. Performances were outstandi
It's Only A Play People!
 Aug 29 2014, 04:55:10 PM
Thanks, "Up in One". Much appreciated.
It's Only A Play People!
 Aug 29 2014, 03:28:25 PM
Sorry...what's the "other" site ? I'd like to read those. How was Murray Abraham in the play ? Can't imagine anything but wonderful.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You