News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheBoyFromNC

TheBoyFromNC Profile Photo
Member Name: TheBoyFromNC
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What musicals did not receive any Tony nominations in past years?  Aug 31 2015, 01:31:24 PM

Thank you, JBroadway, that Playbill link is exactly what I needed! I've mainly just been trying to find lists of shows that opened each season to compare with nomination lists, but I couldn't find anywhere that listed them.

And haterobics, **** you, it was pretty clear I meant "snubbed" as "not nominated" - great job living up to your chosen username, I guess.

What musicals did not receive any Tony nominations in past years?  Aug 31 2015, 01:22:31 PM

I have researched, which is why I said so. I can't find any sites that even mention snubbed shows, just list after list of nominees and winners.

What musicals did not receive any Tony nominations in past years?  Aug 31 2015, 01:17:22 PM

69th Tonys: Doctor Zhivago, Finding Neverland, Holler If Ya Hear Me, Honeymoon in Vegas, It Shoulda Been You, Side Show

68th Tonys: Big Fish, First Date, Soul Doctor

I can't find anything resembling a definitive list beyond the past two years. Can someone help me out? I'd like to go all the way back to the 54th Tonys season (2000) at least.

Favorite reimagining of a show song?  Aug 26 2015, 04:59:32 AM

Jeremy Jordan did a terrific ballad-style arrangement of Under The Sea at a recent concert. (I can't find a link, sorry!)

what musicals change trends?  Aug 19 2015, 01:46:45 PM

Also, I've heard Annie Get Your Gun referred to as the first musical written as a star vehicle - is there any truth to that? It seems every musical that Ethel, Mary, and Gwen did after it was written around them.

what musicals change trends?  Aug 19 2015, 01:41:07 PM

As much as I personally dislike it, I would include Cats in this list, as the first Mega Musical that the 80's came to be so defined by.

Recent Overtures  Aug 19 2015, 01:32:16 PM

Newsies, Ghost, Matilda, Honeymoon in Vegas, Bring It On, A Christmas Story, Chaplin, Wonderland, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Elf, The Addams Family, From Here to Eternity

They all have an Overture of some kind, though a lot of them are less than a minute long. And these are all 2010-present.

Will Julie Andrews EVER return to the Broadway stage  Aug 3 2015, 06:30:18 PM

As much as I adore Julie, I can't picture her getting a lifetime achievement award. She's originated 4 roles, and hasn't been on stage since the 90's. There are others that have done significantly more for Broadway, (to say nothing of her terrific screen career) and haven't gotten a special Tony. The biggest reason they'd give her one now would be to complete her EGOT.

And show an honorary Tony on the air? Like that'll happen. Get Score and Book in the broadcast

Shows where you prefer a different recording from the original?  Aug 2 2015, 02:07:45 AM

I rarely get to actually go see a show, so I get my theatre fix purely by listening to cast recordings. So I end up preferring cast recordings that have the entire show. With that in mind, I usually choose to listen to these over the originals:

Dreamgirls (2001 Actors Fund Benefit Concert) [what a cast, right?!?]

On The Twentieth Century (2005 Actors Fund Benefit Concert)

Parade (2007 Donmar Warehouse) [it helps that I adore Bertie Carvel's Leo]

Pas

Who Deserves a Broadway House Named After Them?  Jul 29 2015, 09:52:59 PM

I seriously love The Stritch. I think there are other names that should have greater priority, but that'd just be a terrific name for a theater.

Also I don't understand how the Majestic hasn't been renamed the Lloyd Webber. I'm not saying I think it should happen, but how hasn't it?

If I could name one, though, I guess my first choice would be the Kander & Ebb, though if it were up to me the Rodgers would become the Rodgers & Hammer

Cicely Tyson, Rita Moreno and Carole King named 2015 Kennedy Center Honorees  Jul 16 2015, 12:24:24 PM

A) Yeah, I'm 23 and pre-Beautiful I only knew Carole because of the Gilmore Girls theme song and You've Got A Friend (which I primarily knew as a James Taylor song).

B) About time for Rita Moreno! She finished her EGOT almost 40 years ago! (1977)

Dream Jane Krakowski Roles  Jun 28 2015, 03:37:39 PM
Just thought of this and had to bring this thread back - Jane would make a BRILLIANT Gussie in Merrily We Roll Along!
Seth Rudetsky deserves a special Tony Award  Jun 21 2015, 11:13:23 AM
Just adding to his list of accomplishments, he started the Actors Fund benefit concerts on his own - that's had a pretty big impact on the community. I 100% agree that he deserves one.
Dream Jane Krakowski Roles  Jun 21 2015, 10:47:10 AM
Phyllis in Follies. Her performance of Could I Leave You? and Lucy & Jessie would be amazing.
Plays/musicals due for a revival  Jun 20 2015, 11:29:15 AM
@hen88, there's a revival of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum that's in the works, set to star James Corden. It was delayed because he got the job to host The Late Late Show, but I believe they're still planning to do it once he's done with that (though who knows how long that will be?)
Non-Singing Roles that Were Nominated for a Tony  Jun 20 2015, 11:25:12 AM
Bringing this back to add Robin de Jesus. Nominated for playing Jacob in the 2010 La Cage aux Folles, who only sings a single verse (then repeats it) in "Cocktail Counterpoint"
Any new ones since this thread was started in 2012?

Songs That Won Their Performers Tonys  Jun 20 2015, 11:14:08 AM
Definitely agree with "Something Wonderful" for Ruthie. I listened to the cast recording just a few days before the Tonys, and it alone was almost enough to change camps from Judy to Ruthie.
Also adding "Hold Me In Your Heart" for Billy Porter, "I Am What I Am" for both George Hearn and Douglas Hodge, and "Diva's Lament" for Sara Ramirez.

Plays/musicals due for a revival  Jun 18 2015, 05:58:06 PM
Came here to say Dreamgirls, pleasantly surprised to see it said 3 times already.
Also seconding Sunset Boulevard.
And I think it's about time Merrily We Roll Along got a Broadway run with the revised material. Same deal with Parade.

Dream Mama Rose's  Jun 1 2015, 07:10:27 PM

Sutton just turned 40, and said at a recent concert that she doesn't see herself playing ingenues anymore. Then she said that Rose was a dream role and proceeded to kill Rose's Turn.

So I'm looking forward to the inevitable revival. I'd also love to see Laura Benanti return to Gypsy as Rose. Those two probably top my list.

Vocal performances recorded more than once  May 31 2015, 04:34:55 PM

Adding to the Les Miz duplicates, Samantha Barks was Eponine in both the 2010 concert and the movie.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You