News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DMsquared2

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
Member Name: DMsquared2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Lin to direct film adaptation of Tick Tick Boom
 Jun 10 2021, 11:44:05 AM

I am feeling all the feels.

And not to beat a dead horse, it also makes me wonder what a film adaption of Rent directed Lin Manuel Miranda could've looked like. 

If there ever was an all-Black production of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC...
 Apr 27 2020, 11:02:45 AM

Leslie Uggams as Madam Armfeldt! Yes! Love it! 

If there ever was an all-Black production of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC...
 Apr 27 2020, 10:47:12 AM

Been pondering this for a while...A production of A Little Night Music with an all-Black cast.

Desiree Armfeldt //// Audra McDonald (obviously)
Fredrik Egerman //// Brian Stokes Mitchell
Ann Egerman //// Nikki M. James
Henrik Egerman //// Jelani Alladin
Petra //// Rashidra Scott
Fredrika Armfeldt //// ?
Madame Armfeldt //

Upcoming West Side Story revival website
 Oct 7 2019, 04:56:13 PM

I think the use of video and bold text is cool but the collage aspect of it is not working for me. 

Sondheim in “Joker”
 Oct 7 2019, 04:51:37 PM

This particular excerpt from a review by Glen Weldon of NPR's Arts Desk hits the nail on the head:

Arthur suffers one of his many onscreen beatings at the hands (and feet) of a bunch of Wall Street bros on the subway, who taunt him by singing "Send In The Clowns." Nearly in its entirety. (The scene goes on for a while.)

It's really the only time in this otherwise grounded, grim and gritty film that we're asked to suspend our disbelief at all — because, seriously, we're supposed to buy that a straight finance bro would be off-book on the second and third verses of a Sondheim number? 

("Bro! I spent last night poundin' brews and fallin' down A Little Night Music YouTube wormhole! The Dench, bro! The Dench crushed it!" "Naw man, you gotta see my girl CZ-J in the 2009 Broadway revival, she makes Desiree's wry and winsome melancholy A THING YOU CAN FEEL IN YOUR 'NADS BRO."

Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
 Sep 30 2019, 09:56:28 AM

As a queer person of faith it saddens me that the loudest voices are those that turn people away from the church. Not all Christians are anti-gay––and really, none should be. If your faith causes you to be super judgmental and comes from a place of us vs. them and hatred instead of a place of compassion and love, then you're doing it wrong.

Religion isn't the problem: religious extremism and fundamentalism is. 

I obviously strongly disagree with Omooba's interpretation of scripture. Here's a link with a great explanation as to why her interpretation is wrong. 

Acoustic or Lounge music covers of Broadway songs?
 Sep 18 2019, 08:58:37 AM

I really enjoy Lea DeLaria's 2000 album "Play It Cool" but if you're looking for strictly instrumental covers then you should check out:

• The Oscar Peterson Trio, "West Side Story"
  • Shelly Manne, "My Fair Lady"

Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
 Aug 29 2019, 04:02:54 PM

I think this is a very interesting idea but I really admire Linklater's optimism that the world will still be around 20 years from now. 

Mistakes on cast albums
 Aug 28 2019, 09:56:13 AM

That's not a mistake. It was originally "feeling, power" but changed years into RENT's run. A cast member told me it was because there was confusion that they were singing "feeling power" instead of "feeling, power" so they swapped the words.

Oh! My bad. Thanks. 

Mistakes on cast albums
 Aug 26 2019, 09:20:21 AM

On the Rent OBCR Wilson Jermaine Heredia sings: 

Food of love, emotion, mathematics
Isolation
Rhythm, feeling, power, harmony
And heavy competition

It should be power, feeling. It was corrected for the film soundtrack. 

Raunchiest Songs in Musical Theatre
 Apr 4 2019, 03:17:28 PM

The lyric "Come back to bed, kid / Take me inside you" from "Nobody Needs to Know" from The Last Five Years has always felt raunchy to me. 

Ain't Too Proud Reviews
 Mar 22 2019, 10:49:18 AM

Does anyone else find it extremely confusing when a show is considered a NY Times Critic's Pick but the review is not a rave or only mostly positive? What are the politics behind that I wonder. 

Who would I like to see play MAME?
 Jan 28 2019, 04:41:56 PM

My vote goes to Megan Mulally.  

Unsee Me
 Nov 20 2018, 04:16:47 PM

The 2008 Roundabout Theatre Company revival of Hedda Gabler starring Mary-Louise Parker. 

Nathan Lane and Andrea Martin Return to Broadway in GARY: A SEQUEL TO TITUS ANDRONICUS - Booth Theatre, Spring 2019
 Nov 16 2018, 04:02:10 PM

The artwork is indeed by Ralph Steadman. Another brilliant ad campaign from SpotCo.

It's time for a good Rocky Horror revival.
 Nov 15 2018, 04:44:17 PM

I love Jake Shears but you need an actor who can sing to play Frank and I don't think his acting is strong enough. 

@darquegk I went to school with Justin. I wish I could have seen him as Frank. 

Rank the jukebox musicals from best to worse
 Nov 12 2018, 11:45:07 AM

I don't know if I'd put Xanadu in this category. 

Brandon Victor Dixon, Vanessa Hudgens, Keala Settle, Jordan Fisher Set for Fox's Rent Live!
 Oct 29 2018, 03:07:24 PM

I think casting someone from "RuPaul's Drag Race" as Angel is an inspired choice and a good move in terms of publicity but...Valentina? 

I'm also a bit puzzled by Jordan Fisher as Mark. 

2011-2012 Plays
 May 18 2012, 07:51:52 PM
Was this season a really good season for plays or is it just because there are so many that I want to see?

GODSPELL Digital New Cast Recording Release Date?
 Jan 3 2012, 03:03:32 PM
So growing up I was OBSESSED with Godspell. I have a scrapbook of sorts that could be a director’s prompt book for the show. Seriously.

So here are my thoughts on the new cast album.

1. Tower of Babble

One of my favorite songs. Strange but true. I’m assuming this number is all concept in this production because by itself I hated it!

2. Prepare Ye

Great. The cast sounds excellent. No complaints.

3. Save the People

Loved it. Hu

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You