News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BestOfBothWorlds

BestOfBothWorlds Profile Photo
Member Name: BestOfBothWorlds
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Why do shows publish their grosses?
 Nov 12 2008, 11:30:10 AM
Why do movie studios publish grosses? Why do sports teams publish attendance? Why do (non publicly-traded) companies post earnings?

We crave transparency from both our businesses and our politics. Look at how Young Frankenstein was treated when they decided not to post grosses. Sure, they have that right, but it's going to leave a sour taste in our mouths.

So, though your fundamental argument that perhaps it might not always be in the best interest of a show to do so, maybe

re: Underrated Sondheim Songs
 Nov 12 2008, 11:26:32 AM
Not sure if it's particularly underrated, but "Another Hundred People" never ever ever fails to make me smile, especially if it pops up on my shuffle when I'm on the subway, like it did yesterday!
re: What can I do with a theater studies major
 Nov 12 2008, 11:23:45 AM
What does one do with a BA or BFA in anything? Use it to go to more school and get a real degree or get an entry-level position like everyone else! (Well, not everyone. Yay economy!)
re: Young Frankenstein or The Producers?
 Nov 12 2008, 11:17:16 AM
You really can't have too much Gene Wilder, but I liked The Producers a little bit more.

As for the shows, The Producers by a wide, wide margin. Not even close. I'd watch Sutton Foster sing the phone book and Young Frankenstein made me want to kill myself.

re: Longest Shows in Broadway History?
 Nov 11 2008, 06:03:23 PM
Saying shows run "from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours" isn't exactly accurate, as it makes it sound like 2.5 hours is the outside. Actually, the average runtime of shows currently on Broadway (including those in previews, but not the ones starting later this week) is 147 minutes. (I just calculated it, I'm a dork, yes.) So, it stands to reason that theatregoers still have plenty of an attention span, at least a half-hour more than your average moviegoer (movies average about two hours) or 90 minutes
Longest Shows in Broadway History?
 Nov 11 2008, 05:21:26 PM
I was just thinking (since my mind likes statistics) about South Pacific and August: Osage County currently clocking in at 3+ hours, and I was wondering what people remember off the top of their heads, or if there's somewhere that actually stores run time as a stat (though I doubt it).

The Coast of Utopia obviously jumps to mind but I don't really count that as it was deliberately presented as three separate entities, even if they sometimes presented those entities on the same day.
re: HUGH PANARO AT ARTSPEAK THIS WED IN SPRINGFIELD, VA
 Nov 3 2008, 01:21:22 PM
Man, not every day a NoVA high school pops up on this board.
re: Calling Broadway Performers by First Name
 Oct 19 2008, 09:15:30 PM
I thoroughly agree with the OP and have expressed this to my friends often.
re: Need help!! THE SEAGULL or SPEED-THE-PLOW???
 Oct 17 2008, 12:32:00 PM
I'd vote for The Seagull. Speed-the-Plow was a mess.
re: Most Unexpected Closing Announcement
 Oct 15 2008, 09:05:06 AM
I'm gonna have to throw Glory Days out there. I saw it in previews and knew that it was a wreck, but if I said I saw it closing on opening night I'd have been lying.
re: Lord of the Rings
 Oct 14 2008, 09:12:20 AM
Books don't matter! people don't read!

I'd be inclined to agree with even the sarcasm of that statement if you were talking about something other than a book that has sold more than 150 million copies.

re: [TOS] Cast
 Oct 7 2008, 10:40:08 AM
"Is this a place to attack one another or share interests and get questions answered?"

I'd say the former, if you've spent any time on these boards at all. Or, should I say "Wow. You really don't have any concept of BroadwayWorld, do you?"

re: BWW Members' Participation In High School Drama Groups
 Oct 6 2008, 10:07:29 AM
Also I will be interested to see how many people respond with The Crucible. It seems a good chunk of us already.
re: BWW Members' Participation In High School Drama Groups
 Oct 6 2008, 09:58:24 AM
I attended the fine Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, VA, and completely ignored both, spending my time with two theatre groups! Both TJ Drama and the Shakespeare Troupe were wonderful parts of my proverbial formative years. Off the top of my head, some of the stuff we did:

Arthur Miller's The Crucible (John Proctor)
Ken Ludwig's Moon Over Buffalo (George Hay)
William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night (Sir Toby Belch)
Tom

Happy Birthday RANDY QUAID!
 Oct 1 2008, 10:23:55 AM
No? Awww, come on, you didn't want to see Lone Star Love that badly, did you?
re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/28
 Sep 29 2008, 03:52:20 PM
The country is down to practically three banks, and from the looks of these numbers it could be down to three Broadway shows soon, too. I'm hoping that it's just the normal fall lull and that it picks up come holidays, but this seems worse than normal.

Especial "yikes" for 13.

re: Equus- A Low Advance?
 Aug 16 2008, 01:25:54 AM
Not to mention *listening.
re: Cavenaugh Offered the Role of Tony in WSS
 Aug 12 2008, 11:19:07 PM
Wait, did Aaron Tveit get his name changed to Matt Cavenaugh?

Weird.

re: LITTLE MERMAID: Student Rush?
 Aug 10 2008, 01:19:31 AM
I went on a Saturday and they had a couple of rush tickets. I didn't get them because there were already a bunch of people in line, but the Tuesday-Thursday only thing is a lie.
re: Shows that had their out of town try-out in DC
 Aug 7 2008, 10:13:19 PM
Also from the DC area originally, I'm sure I will be making a trip home for this premiere. It'll be something to lord over New York folks for at least a little while :)
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You