News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BroadwayNorth2

BroadwayNorth2 Profile Photo
Member Name: BroadwayNorth2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

JCS Reviews  Mar 23 2012, 01:55:18 PM
Interesting side not: Chilina Kennedy and Paul Nolan have been a couple off the stage for 3 years.
JCS Reviews  Mar 23 2012, 01:44:00 PM
Surprise, surprise! Prominent Canadian reviewers still love it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/theatre/quiet-canadian-superstar-shines-on-broadway/article2378208/

Sophisticated NY Musical Recommendations?  Mar 9 2012, 12:27:01 PM
That's a perfect choice!! Thanks, uncageg!
Sophisticated NY Musical Recommendations?  Mar 9 2012, 12:18:26 PM
I can see plenty of great plays in Toronto... was hoping to see the type of small-scale musical that's hard to find outside of NY and some of the regional US theatres.
Sophisticated NY Musical Recommendations?  Mar 8 2012, 07:34:06 PM
Hey there folks,

I'm coming to NY next week (Tues-Friday) and interested in catching a musical or 2! I'd prefer to see an experimental new work off-Broadway, a workshopped show or even a student production.. My favourite composers are Sondheim, Guettel, LaChiusa, and Gordon, to name a few... Porgy and Bess is on my list for Broadway shows. Can you recommend anything off-Broadway or in the greater NYC area that might tickle my fancy?

J-Hud's tribute to Houston on Grammy's  Feb 12 2012, 10:57:45 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xolgjo_21221222396_lifestyle#from=embediframe

Thoughts?

Canadian Idiot  Jan 9 2012, 06:49:45 PM
The American Idiot tour took on a distinctly Canadian flavour this weekend, with Gabe Antonacci stepping in as Johnny, alongside 2 other Canadian leads playing Tunny and Will:

http://www.toronto.com/article/709309--third-canadian-in-leading-american-idiot-role

State of the Art Musicals  Dec 25 2011, 04:06:12 PM
As we approach 2012, which new "art musicals" (currently being staged, or in development) are you most excited about? As someone whose favourite new musicals are the ones specifically NOT written with aims at commercial Broadway runs, and primarily developed at not-for-profit (and regional) theatre companies around North America, by the likes of Lachiusa, Gordon, Guettel et al., I'm interested in hearing about promising new composers, lyricists and works!

(Of course, you can define "a

Newsies: Revival or  Dec 25 2011, 01:23:40 PM
Not sure what I was thinking, to be honest!! I know it hadn't ever touched Broadway before, but I was simply thinking of categories like "original score" (when so many songs had been written 2 decades ago!) But I guess it's in the same boat as "original scores" from The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc.
Newsies: Original Score?  Dec 25 2011, 01:12:35 PM
Just wondering which category Newsies fits into for the Tonys...

JCS gets only raves in SD... Tonys next?  Dec 4 2011, 09:29:47 PM
Another rave (with only a couple small quibbles):

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117946688

JCS gets only raves in SD... Tonys next?  Dec 2 2011, 09:42:19 PM
I haven't been on these boards in a while. Is "Follies" the leading contender at this point for best revival?
What are the other possibilities?
JCS
Follies
On A Clear Day
Porgy And Bess
Evita
Godspell
??

JCS gets only raves in SD... Tonys next?  Dec 2 2011, 09:28:03 PM
Unanimous raves:

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-Broadway-Bound-JESUS-CHRIST-SUPERSTAR-at-La-Jolla-Playhouse-20111202#

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LA JOLLA  Dec 1 2011, 03:43:29 PM
Stratford's Broadway-Bound JCS receives a rave in San Diego:

http://local.sandiego.com/arts/jesus-christ-superstar-at-the-la-jolla-playhouse

Harold Prince & Susan Stroman to Direct THE PRINCE OF BROADWAY Revue  Oct 17 2011, 01:45:47 PM
More info came out today on the Broadway-bound revue "Prince of Broadway":

http://www.toronto.com/article/701332--new-hal-prince-musical-sparks-dancap-season

------------
"Prince has always been known as a man for whom theme comes before all else, so we asked him what he thought the message of this show would be.

“It culls from almost sixty years of working in the musical theatre and in particular, it addresses luck as a factor in anyone’s career.”

The veteran showman soft-shoed around the issue as to whether or not a specific actor would portray him (Jason Alexander, anyone?), but he would reveal that “I will be represented onstage using a variety of techniques, not just film.”

Perhaps the most delicious thing about the show is that it will include music from all of Prince’s major shows, which means that it will be the first stage show ever to feature songs by both Stephen Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd Webber on the same stage at the same time.

Besides his numerous successes, Prince has also been the force behind shows that featured memorable material, even though they weren’t hits themselves, like A Doll’s Life and Parade.

“When we put together a list of all the songs from all the shows I produced,” he laughs, “it came to 55 single-spaced typed pages. We’ve chosen from the hits as well as the flops, but every song is a good one.” "

Not understanding seemingly simple Broadway lyrics  Mar 13 2011, 10:21:03 PM
I interpret the SA lyric as this:
"Moritz (his shadow/ghost (?) has just left this world- still yearning for acceptance, openness, a true "home" when all he got were fools (parents)!

...and the challenge I find with the "Good Thing Going" line is how quickly the words "You never wanted enough, all right, tough, I don't make that a crime" happen in the vocal line- with commas, but no breath marks. As well as the adjacent T's in "righT, Tough, I..." I'm tying to

Not understanding seemingly simple Broadway lyrics  Mar 13 2011, 10:03:14 PM
A couple queries here:

"You never wanted enough - Alright, tough, I don't make that a crime" (from Good Thing Going/Merrily)
I'm having a hard time syntactically with the word "tough" here. Does it mean: "Alright, it was tough, but I don't make it a crime" ?

And the other one:

"A shadow passed. A shadow passed. Yearning for the fool it called a home" (from Left Behind/Spring Awakening)

Any takers?

Toronto Star Reviews Spiderman  Jan 29 2011, 12:13:32 AM
"Let’s cut to the chase.

The only truly amazing thing about Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, is how unequivocally awful it is."

Last-minute replacement!!  Jan 13 2011, 11:56:53 PM
I attended the award-winning remount of Assassins in Toronto tonight (a timely show, with an all-star cast of Canada's best actors). The night became a magically unique theatre experience the moment the musical director announced to the audience that the actor playing the Proprietor (Martin Julien) had to leave for a family emergency, and the director Adam Brazier (whose acting credits include Broadway's The Woman In White and Into the Woods) was stepping in on short notice. For an independent p
What are your favorite words of wisdom from a musical?  Jan 7 2011, 06:22:00 PM
I think this one from Assassins ought to be taken out of context:

"Everybody's
Got the right
To be happy.
Don't stay mad,
Life's not as bad
As it seems.
If you keep your
Goal in sight,
You can climb to
Any height.
Everybody's
Got the right
To their dreams..."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You