News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Sister George

Sister George Profile Photo
Member Name: Sister George
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: English,

Homosexual inevitably,

Of liberal mind and body,

But if you send me spam I will kill you and all your friends/family (delete according to importance)

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jerry Springer the Opera at The New Group
 Feb 23 2018, 04:56:44 AM

And a rave from Ben Brantley

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/theater/jerry-springer-the-opera-review-terrence-mann.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/theater

Anthony Rapp: Kevin Spacey Made A Sexual Advance Toward Me When I Was 14
 Oct 30 2017, 07:28:55 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/30/kevin-spacey-vicious-lie-gay-men-accusation-attempted-sexual-assault?CMP=share_btn_link

Is The Sound of Music Overrated?
 Nov 5 2014, 10:54:33 AM
The song has been used for the stage production in London and Broadway before but anyway any college that would sit and listen to a great performance of that song and then not accept you based on that technicality is not a college I'd recommend you attend.
Heather Headley to Have An Alternate in THE BODYGUARD
 Sep 2 2012, 05:25:36 PM
Well Trevor Nunn's production of Comedy of Errors won the 1977 Olivier Award for Best New Musical for it's London run,

Threepenny Opera was nominated for a best musical revival Olivier Award for its 1994 west end run

Alice at the Leeds Playhouse was a well recieved commercial new musical.

And yes I'm aware that the film of Billy Elliot was not a musical but a lot of the creators such as the composer and the choreographer had strong commercial musical credits prior t

Sep 2 2012, 04:58:34 PM
No none of these were commercial musicals in the West End but these were not the provisos you originally put on their credits - you said they had not directed musicals - 3 out of the 4 had previous experience in musicals and the fourth had directed the original film that was the source for the musical.

These directors had not created blockbuster musicals from a vacuum - yes producers had taken a risk based on their admittedly limited experience but it was most definitely a calculated ri

Sep 2 2012, 04:39:01 PM
Not sure I've seen a Thea Sharrock production I've enjoyed yet but I love Heather Headley so here's hoping...

Sep 2 2012, 04:37:33 PM
Stephen Daldry hadn't directed a musical before Billy Elliot
Phyllida Lloyd had directed Threepenny Opera at the Donmar before Mamma Mia
Trevor Nunn had directed the musical version of The Comedy of Errors at the RSC and a musical version of Around The World in 80 Days at Coventry before Cats
Nick Hytner had directed the musical of Alice at Leeds Playhouse and won Olivier awards for opera productions before Miss Saigon

Did Betty Buckley, Judy Kaye or Priscilla Lopez audition for Evita?
 May 28 2012, 04:24:14 PM
This script does generally follow the outlines of the staged version, but Russell made Che a newspaper reporter and the script contains a strange hospital montage for Eva and Che, with them passing each other on gurneys in white corridors as she's being treated for cancer and he's injured by rioters.

Russell also changed the backgrounds of most of the scenes in his screenplay. The "Waltz for Eva and Che" is performed on the barren pampas with Eva and Che surrounded by giant symbols of ruined civilizations and religions--a fallen Swastika, a headless Buddha, a battered eagle from Imperial Rome, a rotting cross, a splintered Pharaoh, and a rusty hammer and sickle . . . then the symbols of crumbling hopes and dreams vanish, to be replaced by more familiar concerns--polluting smoke, smashed cars, barbed wire and bleached bones.

http://www.squareone.org/stoddard/evitasm.html

Did Betty Buckley, Judy Kaye or Priscilla Lopez audition for Evita?
 May 28 2012, 03:29:37 PM
Early 80's

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/19/movies/is-it-time-now-to-cry-for-evita.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

re: Sierra Boggess & Phantom Sequel
 Oct 23 2008, 07:05:34 PM
I hope that Otto has an appropriate tombstone, something along the lines of -

Never in the field of human theatre going was so much owed by so many to so few.

re: '13' Revisions: From First Preview To Press Preview
 Oct 5 2008, 04:38:10 PM
Yep probably, see you down there....
 Oct 5 2008, 04:27:40 PM
Ahh again more apologies but I would probably find that very funny.
 Oct 5 2008, 04:21:19 PM
Ahh apologies.

What is the context of the song?

Oct 5 2008, 04:13:47 PM
Since when did I say it was ok to go up to a child with a terminal illness and make jokes about them dying?
 Oct 5 2008, 03:46:55 PM
'but I don't enjoy jokes about children or people of any age that are dying...'

But we're all dying.

re: Acting: Truly THAT Hard?
 Jul 17 2007, 05:15:29 PM
Acting is not that hard if you're good at it - but if you are good at it, it is hard to be great at it.

Not everybody can do it and I speak as a very happy failed actor, (I knew I was Ok but I wasn't great, so why bother?).

I think 'acting' really is a natural talent, in much the same way that somebody could teach me to play the piano every day for the rest of my life and I might finally (and in my case I emphasis might) achieve competence, but I would never progress beyond tha

re: Anti-Gay Slurs: The Latest in Hilarity
 Dec 17 2006, 08:33:05 AM
Surely getting people to compare their relative suffering as a result of prejudice is just a tatic to divide and conquer.

Judging people based on the colour of their skin is just plain wrong.

Judging consenting adults on who they decide to love is just plain wrong.

re: lestat cast cd
 Oct 31 2006, 05:48:23 PM
Personally I'm the proud owner of the UK release of the CD which consists of David Furnish singing every track.
re: Billy Elliot untransferable
 Jun 8 2005, 08:13:43 AM
It's definitely transferring to Broadway. Whether they will re-tool it for the American market in order to make it succeed? Let's hope so.

Why? It's this kind of insular attitude that creates the Ignorant American stereotype.

In London, Angels in America, which is very specific in it's location and politics enjoyed a long sold out run at the National Theatre

re: Prayers to a fellow actor
 Apr 3 2005, 04:57:03 AM
We are talking about the death of someone as if this is an unique tragedy.... as far as I am aware death is the one thing on which we can all be certain...

Comments such as 'Please people, a man just died.' are frankly lazy thinking, for who does this rational of death=absolution of all sins apply?

In 1945 should we have said let's pray for Hitler for god's sake a man has just died?

And no I'm not comparing the Pope to Hitler just trying to express an opinion that whi

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You