News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DoranC

Member Name: DoranC
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Brief thoughts on MARY STUART
 Jul 4 2009, 08:08:25 PM
I really enjoyed MS. Both the play and the performances.
re: Natasha Richardson in CLOSER, Streetcar and Cabaret among others...
 Apr 16 2009, 09:00:42 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the film "Closer." I've no complaints about Julia Roberts, although she did seem to take Larry's claim that Anna is a depressive quite seriously, which is an interesting choice. But I almost think Mike Nicols, the director, took it all too seriously -- in the sense of trying to play it as a straight, heavy drama, particularly in the later part of the film. He stripped (no pun intended!) a great deal of the lighter, funnier moments from the second half. The play works when i
 Apr 13 2009, 11:03:36 PM
okay, Take 2 on my "Closer" memories...

I remember very much enjoying the Broadway production of "Closer," although I came to it having seen the original London production, and the Broadway version wasn't quite as potent as that original. At the time, I was partly, though not by much, critical of an aspect of Richardson's approach to the role, although her skill as an actor was very apparent. My impression (backed up by things she said in interviews at the time) was that she wanted to

Apr 12 2009, 09:37:33 AM
Actually it read like someone who made a grammar error but was trying to get comments on NR's performance in "Closer." But that's water under the bridge now (as they say).

I will re-post comments about "Closer" soon...have to do Easter things now.

re: Richardson's organs donated
 Mar 27 2009, 08:45:26 PM
"but that's the way of things in a society dominated by the principles of organized religion."

Uhh, no, that's the way things are in a society dominated by the principle that the government doesn't own your body--be it dead or alive. AND LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!!!

re: Richardson's Performances
 Mar 22 2009, 12:05:21 AM
I know "Closer" is in the LC Archive. I know someone who viewed it there.

re: Do you refer to musicals as
 Jul 8 2008, 10:55:42 PM
"I wonder why they don't change the sign to: Plays Only
(No Musicals)"

Yes, they probably should. But they do seem to have 'traffic-wardens' who come around and explain the plays only line, but this guy had been in the line a significant while before the window opened, and the 'wardens' didn't start making announcements until right about when the windows opened, so the musicals line had grew a mile while he was in the wrong place. Oh, well for him.

re: Do you refer to musicals as
 Jul 8 2008, 07:42:13 AM
I once stood behind someone in the very short TKTS "Plays Only" line who it turns out was looking for musical tickets. He asked me "Aren't musicals 'plays'?", to which I could only answer "Unfortunately not in Broadway-speak." I felt bad for him, but I do wonder what he thought that really, really long line next to us was for.

If the divide were play vs. musical, it would be less ambiguous. "Show" or, in this case, 'not a play' can be a bit vague for people not versed in Broadway-spea

re: Who else is glad 'Seafarer' nominated?
 May 14 2008, 07:42:33 PM
"To me, THAT is good acting. It's being aware of what the other actors are doing and playing off of that -- REALLY living in the moment"

I think it might have something to do with the characters. Playing a blind man, Norton may have had less to play off of. It's easier to improvise with an actor when you are looking him/her in the eye. A lot of the 'playing off each other' I saw the other actors do (mostly between Morse and Hinds, if I'm remembering correctly) had to do with these looks they were throwing each other and, depending on the intensity and timing of the look, a different kind of response to it. Not being blind also means more freedom of movement for the other actors--they had more choices in how and where they could move in response to the other.

I can't fault Norton's consistency at all. There's this notion of keeping a play 'fresh,' but I don't think that has to be so much about changing how things are done as it's to do with staying vital in your performance, which I think Norton always did (at least on the days I saw it). I think one could see him as the rock around which the others could play a bit here and there. Not that I think we should overstate the variations. From the few performances I saw, I would say Hinds and Morse were the ones most varying in their performances. It seems Hinds, maybe, was trying to keep Morse on his toes (him being the 'divil himself' and all he could get away with that sort of thing!)--throwing him different kinds of looks at different times and varying the degree/kind of menace he threw his way in their scenes alone. But I think some of the variations worked better than others, so one could almost wish they'd been a bit more consistent, so long as they were consistent in the right way.

re: Who else is glad 'Seafarer' nominated?
 May 14 2008, 07:51:38 AM
I'm glad.

Here would be an interesting production of the play to see: It's now on at the Abbey Theatre in Dublin.

re: Thoughts on LES LIAISONS and THURGOOD?
 Apr 13 2008, 10:59:41 PM
"The film I find to be better than the source material."

I disagree. I think the play is wonderfully written. I'm not a fan of the film, actually.

I know the BBC did a great radio version of the play about a decade ago. No naked boys on audio, obviously, but it was done with the original M. Meurteil (sp?), Lindsay Duncan, and she is awesome to listen to, and the quality of the writing and the play is really apparent.

re: Thoughts on LES LIAISONS and THURGOOD?
 Apr 13 2008, 10:30:32 AM
"I was disappointed that the play didn't show the devestation that was to befall Linney's character as the movie does."

That isn't in Hampton's play. It's an invention for the film, isn't it? The play, I believe, ends with a card game in which the Aunt mentions, knowingly but mildly, that she heard an interesting tale.

re: Bill Haber thanks SEAFARER Team in the Times
 Apr 2 2008, 07:34:23 PM
It's a nice gesture. Using the phrase "top of the mornin'" is a bit cringeworthy, though.
re: FAREWELL, 'SEAFARER' !!!
 Apr 1 2008, 10:09:55 PM
That's funny because the few times I saw the play I heard him say what I thought sounded like "genitals."

I wasn't sure if it was just me--if I was mis-hearing him.

LOL! Maybe that's what he was supposed to be saying??? Uhh....I don't know...

re: FAREWELL, 'SEAFARER' !!!
 Mar 30 2008, 02:05:47 PM
Speaking of Ciaran Hinds, I was walking by the Booth last night. It must have been after Mr. Lockhart makes his final exit in the play and before the curtain call, and there was the Devil himself still in his Mr. Lockhart suit and tie having a smoke in Shubert Alley. It's good to know even Satan needs to obey the No Smoking laws.

I really enjoyed this play too. Farewell to it!

Do you think this is ready for Broadway?
 Mar 12 2008, 11:45:34 PM
...Food Court Musical?
re: Seafarer or November
 Feb 27 2008, 07:47:43 PM
The latest Theater Talk to be available online features the guys from the Seafarer (Hill and Hinds) and Nathan Lane about November.

Hill is too funny. :)

re: James Joyce's :The Dead
 Feb 22 2008, 10:36:55 PM
"(though I seem to recall some songs in the film as well)."

Two. That I can think of. I know the late tenor Frank Patterson is in the film and sings "The Lass of Aughrim" -- I suppose one couldn't do justice to Joyce's story without that song being in there, as it plays a central role in the story. There's also the song the elderly aunt sings -- it's "Arrayed for the Bridal" in Joyce's story; I'm thinking, partially remembering and assuming that's what's in the film as well.

I

re: The Acting in The Seafarer
 Feb 13 2008, 09:57:14 PM
Speaking of which, Hinds and Hill are listed as guests on Theater Talk this Friday.

http://www.theatertalk.org/

re: Conleth Hill- Tony Chances??
 Jan 25 2008, 10:50:02 PM
I think the singer/songwriter is John Martyn...??...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You