News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sszabo

Member Name: sszabo
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Bed Bed I Couldn't Go to Bed
 Sep 28 2008, 10:06:16 PM
why all at once my heart took flight
re: Smallest stage time for an actor in a show?
 Jun 4 2008, 02:15:13 PM
let's not forget the guy in The Producers who comes out to mouth "Don't Be Stupid, be a smarty come and join the Nazi Party" while a recording of Mel Brooks saying it plays over him.

I'm pretty sure that is all that guy does and apparently the original guy eventually started asking for a pay raise since he was getting such a nice applause because people actually thought it was Mel.

re: Mel Brooks Shuts Down Film Company; Focuses on Broadway
 May 31 2008, 02:24:21 AM
Well this is sad to hear when I think how influential his films have been for me personally. Then again the stage production of The Producers has been more influential on me than any of his movies.
I also think seeing The French Mistake turned into a long musical sequence would hilarious.

re: Upcoming 08/09 Broadway Season
 May 31 2008, 02:20:44 AM
I might be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure the Harry Connick Jr. show will be a "new" show a la Crazy For You. It's called Nice Work If You Can Get It and the ads for Boston call it a new Gershwin musical.
re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on SHE LOVES ME at Boston's Huntington.
 May 25 2008, 07:28:49 PM
I went to go see She Loves Me this afternoon and I must echo Jaystarr's review. The show was absolutely outstanding! I went and got a student rush ticket for 15 dollars and was front and center mezzanine, I couldn't believe my luck.

Everything about the show was perfectly executed. I was not too familiar with the show before today but now I am in love. It's a crime that more people don't know about this show. The show had me hooked at the overture. I was in awe at how stunning the set

re: What are the most rarely seen/under-appreciated musicals?
 May 22 2008, 11:31:54 PM
Zorba-one of Kander & Ebb's best scores, and when done right, it can be a really soaring and uplifting show.
re: It Starts With A Dream....Got Back From 'Pamela's First Musical'
 May 18 2008, 09:06:40 PM
ah I'm so jealous! But I'm even happier that you loved it! I wish I could have seen it, it had such a dynamite cast!
re: Pamela's First Musical!
 May 3 2008, 09:49:13 PM
Pamela's First Musical is one of my all time favorite books. It's a short story and if you haven't read it before and are a member of this forum then you MUST do yourself a favor and get a copy of the book. Here's a brief synopsis which I guess is a

SPOILER:

It's about a little girl named Pamela who for a birthday gift from her aunt Louise (I think that's her name) is being taken to her first broadway musical. The book follows her day in new york as she goes to the Russian Tea

Raves for South Pacific and Passing Strange from Boston Globe (mixed for Cry Baby and In the Heights
 Apr 26 2008, 07:53:13 PM
http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2008/04/26/some_enchanted_evenings/?page=3

I though you guys would like this article a lot, so I figured I would share it.

I have not seen any of these shows so I will refrain from commenting on the article, but
I will say I'm glad we've converted another person to see the beauty of musical theater!

re: Welcome GLORY DAYS
 Apr 22 2008, 09:43:07 PM
being someone who is wrapping up their first year of college I will be quite interested to see how this musical turns out.

but to those of you who think that 20 years would be more appropriate they could do NOW AND THEN THE MUSICAL... I mean, I'm sure Rosie is looking for her next triumphant return to Broadway anyway.

re: Theater Etiquette-GRRR
 Mar 14 2008, 02:24:20 AM
There are some very interesting points being made here. I just spent my first semester of school in London and to fulfill my major I took an intro to theatre class which focused a lot on theatre in London, then I wrote a paper about jukebox musicals which some of you graciously answered a survey for.

In my research I found a quote by Stephen Sondheim talking about the state of theatre today. He said,
You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals o

Idina Menzel sang national anthem at PatsVs.Giants game
 Dec 29 2007, 08:33:47 PM
I just thought it was so cool that Idina Menzel got to sing the national anthem for this game and they aired since it the game is being shown on three major networks tonight.
I think that's great for her! I hope to see her career and profile continue to grow.
Oh yeah... she sounded absolutely amazing, if there was a roof at Giants Stadium she would have torn it off.

re: A FOLLIES flim being developed by Sam Mendes and Aaron Sorkin?
 Dec 15 2007, 05:29:02 PM
well if they really do want to pursue a movie version of Follies, there is a fantastic, huge abandoned theater in Boston, which has changed some laws so movies get lots of benefits and when they film in Massachusetts now
here's info on the space
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/4870/
and pics of it
http://cinerama.topcities.com/boston.htm
the only thing is they put a cement floor in the balcony that chopped the theater in half when it was turned into a movie theater.

re: Mamma Mia question
 Nov 21 2007, 08:33:57 PM
I also just had one more thought and I'm sorry if I'm bugging you guys (I don't want people to get the wrong impression I'm not trying to leach off of anyone here or have someone do my homework, I'm genuinely interested in your opinions and I'm looking at this as interview research) BUT...
My question is would you guys consider Crazy For You a jukebox musical? I guess I would because it is a show built around the music and there have been a lot of really good movie musical that have done tha

re: Mamma Mia question
 Nov 21 2007, 08:21:10 PM
Thanks so much to all of you that have responded. It's good to hear opinions about the topic from people who actually know a thing or two about musicals.
I'm studying in London right now so I saw Mamma Mia on Monday and during the intermission I asked a few people questions similar questions and one guy told me he thought the best idea for a musical was "Led Zepplin and humor".
(For anyone interested I just saw Macbeth - ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, if they get Kate Fleetwood to play Lady Mac

Mamma Mia question
 Nov 19 2007, 06:48:21 PM
Hi all!

My name's Sam and I'm a first time poster ,long time reader of the forum.
I'm a freshman in college and for my seminar class I'm doing a paper on the phenomenon of the jukebox musical focusing specifically on Mamma Mia.
I wanted to get some real musical theater buffs opinions of the jukebox musical and especially Mamma Mia and I figured this was the best place to ask.
Anyway here's what I'm curious to know:
Name? Age? Where are you from(specifically NYC or not)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You