News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jazzicat

jazzicat Profile Photo
Member Name: jazzicat
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
 Apr 9 2009, 07:23:51 AM
Last night (4/was one of the best nights of theater in NY I have experienced. I can't even describe the outpouring of heartfelt joy from the audience. I haven't laughed like that in a really, really long time. This is truly a recessionary show and I believe it will stike a chord with a lot of those slaving away in corporate america right now. The rules have been thrown out the window and a lot of people will find release in this show. It's always interesting to see how a lot really hasn't changed since the 70's. I really suggest they find a way to market this to working stiffs. It will be a hit. a huge one. And the timing is ideal.

Last night's audience was DEFINITELY one of the most responsive that i have ever been a part of.I almost felt as if people wanted to yell out "Way to go Steph" or "You really nailed that one Allison." We all were just cheering the girls and "our girls" on. I can't add much about the performances-- they sparkled, often literally.

Although for the tony argument-- Alison Janney is my hero-- she's clearly not the best singer in the world,in fact she's often flat. I think at times she was shaking her own head at some of the notes she had to hit. But she PLOWS THROUGH, clearly loving her job and being Violet-- hers is the performance I remember the most. She is so gutsy- daring the audience - almost ok, yeah I'm not a power belter-- but I sure can act, and I'm as funny as hell...and act she does. She made me want to be a braver person, to take clear risks-- and for that, I believe-- she ultimately deserves the Tony.

I also wanted to comment on SJB's subtle movements during "her moment." Perfect, spot on-- when she closes the door and throws down Dick's shirt-- every moment is well directed and full of emotion. She nails the song and the feelings we have all felt in our lives and truly hits it home.

Megan, Marc and the entire rest of the cast was divine. As was the set. My only real complaint is that the acoustics were terrible and it probably varies by seat. I was third row and I didn't feel as if it was loud enough. Maybe my ipod has ruined my expectations in that regard. What a night! Now I'm off to my 9 to 5, but this show has lifted my spirits and is helping e face the day!

re: Your Top Three Favorite Characters
 Mar 30 2009, 07:27:26 AM
Women
Florence Vassy (petite, Hungarian-born Englishwoman)
Effie
Sally Bowles

Men
Jean Valjean
Sweeney
Roger

re: Richardson's Performances
 Mar 21 2009, 09:51:53 PM
Well there was controversy that Cabaret wasn't Tony- eligible they forgot to apply for a license and missed a deadline.
re: Vanessa Redgrave will still perform 'Year of Magical Thinking' in April
 Mar 21 2009, 09:43:19 PM
oh wow. I just finished reading the book and wished I had seen the performance. Just bought tix.
re: Photographers at Lennox Hill Hospital This Week
 Mar 20 2009, 08:41:59 PM
Unfortunately horrors like tragic, untimely deaths provide appeal and feed a curiosity factor in humans- particularly when a celebrity is involved. Anyone who lives in NYC knows that you don't go to Lennox Hill if you are fighting for your life. You go to Lennox Hill for the stomach flu. It was clearly a lost cause and they were out for blood. For the story. If it bleeds it leads.

I live right by the hospital and was absolutely disgusted by the paps, but admittedly I was also concerne

re: cheyenne jackson joins glee
 Mar 10 2009, 12:23:32 AM
don't diss fox.. look at 24. Also, lots of singers out there. I was in a conference call today and this super respected managing director at my firm grabbed a mic reserved for the call and pretended that she was going to belt. I have a Rent poster at my desk. Someone in the room mentioned Avenue Q and the room erupted. People are freaking scared right now, losing jobs, looking for small signs. I honestly think Glee could do ok. People are looking for silly, looking for middle school.
re: Adam Pascal in Phantom in a year?
 Jan 6 2009, 12:03:15 AM
you mean phangirls. the likes of which have never seen seen before.

re: Adam Pascal in Phantom in a year?
 Jan 5 2009, 11:47:06 PM
Maybe HE's headed to Rock of Ages?!! OMG
re: Favorite Set Designs
 Jan 4 2009, 11:30:09 PM
Hey can someone bump the costume design thread that was mentioned?
TIA

re: The Drama Book Shop and the recession
 Jan 4 2009, 11:11:50 PM
Instead of being cynical and taking bets on failure, why don't we encourage everyone to take a trip over to the shop and spend some $$. Lord knows I spend enough on Starbucks.

That said, they seem to be having some interesting in-store events in January and Feb. I think we all should make an effort to attend.

http://www.dramabookshop.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=bacgjsyeUWyHu_PTB_K6r?s=storeevents

This feels very'You've Got Mailish.'

re: Who Feels Guilty....
 Jan 4 2009, 08:23:56 PM
I feel genuinely guilty for not seeing [title of show]. I just recently discovered the recording and I'm so sad I missed it. What a loss.

oh my god. it is so smart.

What a dummy! I was just so busy during its run. No excuses, but it is the show I most wish I had made time for.

re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
 Jan 4 2009, 06:50:23 PM
If only the change was the return of Jesse L. Martin, then all would be right with the world.

I'm seeing the show in Buffalo in less than two weeks. I've never been to Buffalo. Can't wait.

re: Dumpters after shows close?
 Jan 4 2009, 06:45:31 PM
Freegans take Bway!
Hilarious Comments...
 Jan 4 2009, 11:38:00 AM
Not really theater related, but I was sitting in the mezzanine and this usher was all tough:

Usher 1 to audience: Turn off all cell phones, blackberries and pagers. I can see everything from here and I see your lights flashing. So shut them off.
Usher 1 to Usher 2 loud so that everyone could hear him: These fancy people come in here with their Iphones flashing thinking they can record the whole show. Well they won't get by me. They think they are so sneaky and slick. But I can

re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
 Jan 3 2009, 08:00:32 PM
-I love the rent movie rent movie and as an insomniac watch it once a week.
-I think the wicked musical movie should only be made with Idina Kristen,and Norbert otherwise a version of the movie should not be made and the should film the book version instead --which is better for screen anyways.
- I think that Les Miz, Miss Saigon, and Cats should have been considered Broadway staples and not been allowed to close. ever.
-City center should bring back shows like the Sweeney Revival f

re: One Bway song you absolutely love but others might not expect
 Jan 3 2009, 06:02:13 PM
I guess what I meant when I posted this is that I'm pretty much into modern musicals, so if I were to name one of my top three songs some of my closest friends wouldn't even expect me to say
"Can't Help Lovin Dat Man." so you can interpret this in any way you want-- but it should be a song somewhat out of character for YOU or considered to be unpopular or sappy or whatever.

One Bway song you absolutely love but others might not expect
 Jan 2 2009, 10:15:05 PM
I know it's controversial, but I still love it.

Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
-Showboat

Some suggested listening & reading
 Jan 2 2009, 09:48:27 PM
I just discovered that netflix has Broadway: the American musical on demand/instantplay. I did a search for some reviews and found this thread. I am kind of embarassed that I don't know the stories/plots for the following shows:

Follies
A Little Night Music
Pippin
Grand Hotel
ThreePenny Opera
Pajama Game
Bye Bye Birdie
Mame
Kiss Me Kate
Cabaret
Ragtime
Merrily We Roll Along
A Little Night Music
Bare
Passion
Kismet
Aspe

re: Naming my first born Nobert
 Jan 2 2009, 08:29:58 PM
I strongly dislike someone who we have nicknamed Ursula for a few obvious reasons. One day --googled for some Ursula images and was taken to a website on great Rubenesque women. Who knew there were sites like that? So ursula is now Rubee.

Raulbert and Rubee. fantastic.

re: What Broadway-Related Names Would You Give Your Children?
 Jan 2 2009, 08:15:43 PM
I think Nessarose goes lovely with Norbert.

My mother's name is Maureen __son, rhymes with Johnson. How many times do you think I sang tango to her back in the day?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You