News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ladybegood

Member Name: ladybegood
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Joe Wright to direct My Fair Lady film, Knightley and possibly Craig to
 Oct 26 2009, 09:27:36 AM
I actually don't think the Daniel Craig reference is anything more than going back to a very old rumour for want of something more currently substantive. I hope that is right anyway, because I really don't think he would be right at all. I wouldn't have minded Daniel Day Lewis, but I think it is too unlikely he would want to do another musical so soon after "Nine". It might depend on how good an experience that was for him, though, I suppose.

But I don't like Keira Knightley much anywa

re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
 Oct 9 2009, 08:05:46 AM
What a strange article to have written! The only thing he actually says that is from his own first hand experience is that the music (having been given the score presumably) is "epic, romantic, lush and melodic". And that is hardly bad!

The other comments are only hearsay from that incredibly limited presentation yesterday, which is a laughably inadequate basis.

re: Casting Idea: Kerry Ellis as Meg Giry in LOVE NEVER DIES
 Aug 9 2009, 04:01:26 PM
Pgenre....I hadn't realised you had actually heard the score (or at least some of it) yourself. And your description is tantalising. I am very envious! If it isn't inappropriate to ask, how did that come about?

But it is curious that your comments about waking up singing something from it rather matches something that was said about Ramin Karimloo as well. He was apparently to be heard habitually humming bits from it.

I don't think it would be inappropriate to reflect themes fr

re: Casting Idea: Kerry Ellis as Meg Giry in LOVE NEVER DIES
 Aug 9 2009, 10:33:39 AM
The most recent references about "Love Never Dies" (that I've seen) are from ALW being interviewed in Cardiff recently:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/2009/08/01/andrew-lloyd-webber-i-m-a-quality-control-freak-91466-24280490/

He's gone back to only hinting at Ramin and Sierra, but they surely have effectively been confirmed already. It was quoted from ALW's mouth, even if not officially announced. And I wouldn't be too surprised if Kerry Ellis gets Meg on stage in London either. Whether she would get to open on Broadway as well, along with Ramin and Sierra, is very much more doubtful.

Baz Bamigboye of the British press has certainly been given privileged access, and although he said that he didn't think ALW still had it in him, he thinks the score is amazing and the best thing ALW's done. There has to be consciousness of the need for a bit of a pinch of salt, though, when he has clearly been given given access to effect (It was Baz who confirmed Ramin and Sierra). But he still didn't "need" to be as complimentary as he has been. I haven't seen the Michael Riedel comments though. It sounds like he was given privileged access too. Is there a link anywhere?

re: RIALTO CHATTER: JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR To Be 'Resurrected' On Film?
 Aug 2 2009, 06:08:55 AM
Awesomedanny...Has it not actually occurred to you that it really isn't clever to form such fixed opinions when you are coming from a position of such limited knowledge? And while I am presuming you were very small when scared by the idea of the phantom, and that might mean that you have been put off the concept of the show, you are supposed to learn to be able to be more objective when evaluating quality. And having been scared should have no bearing at all on appreciation of a score. Phantom i
re: RIALTO CHATTER: JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR To Be 'Resurrected' On Film?
 Aug 1 2009, 06:30:22 AM
Making any one film isn't at the expense of another. And although I would particularly also love to see a really fabulous version of "Sunset Boulevard", it's all about what is thought likely to make money. "Sunset Boulevard" isn't generally well known enough, and I have always thought the problem (apart from rights issues) has been the perception that it isn't family friendly enough either. Not that JCS was obviously family friendly, but I can see the attraction. Whether people like it or not, i
re: Liza Minnelli starring in Sunset Boulevard
 Jul 19 2009, 09:01:14 AM
Contrary to something said above, I think you have to provide reference of some sort to make changes on IMDB, unless some people (paying possibly) have a different facility.

But Liza Minelli would surely be a train wreck. I would really like to see the film made actually, and made well, but "IF" it ever happens, it won't be under ALW's auspices. He doesn't have the rights. Paramount do. And casting is therefore very likely to be entirely box office determined at the expense of credibili

re: Webber Confirms Boggess and Karimloo in LOVE NEVER DIES
 Jul 6 2009, 06:44:52 AM
Oh, for heaven's sake, I am never not polite. A liitle scathing perhaps, but only when merited. I just don't agree with (and find rather repugnant) the prevalent lack of objectivity and general negativity. It not just in this case either. I don't like it in principle. Intolerance and prejudice isn't something that should be acceptable in any arena. But a voice of reason (and that is all I am) isn't welcome, apparently, when the other is the preference.

I have no objection to

Jul 5 2009, 04:27:57 PM
Devonian-t, above, makes a point of the fact that he hasn't heard a note of the score yet. But he is hardly the only one. Who has? Pgenre, purportedly, may be an exception, which would be nice to know about, but in the end, the proof of the pudding can only be in the eating! All any of us can really do is wait to see how it shapes up in practice.

In the meantime what Baz has had to say is (whether liked or not) encouraging, and it can't/shouldn't be entirely discounted just because it d

Jul 5 2009, 11:34:46 AM
There's nothing like a bit of narrow minded prejudice for getting in the way of common sense and objectivity! lol!
re: Who else thinks Timothy Spall should be on Broadway?
 Jul 5 2009, 10:03:04 AM
I think he is a brilliant and charismatic actor, and could probably do anything he wanted in his remit. But I can't see him doing Broadway in practice.

He was ill a few years ago with the same thing that killed my mother, and although he is now apparently in remission, he is very keen to avoid stress as at least partially blamed for the problem in the first place. He wouldn't want to be away from family.

Jul 5 2009, 08:03:28 AM
But Pgenre, you have heard the score?????

I am not thinking that the Baz reports were anything other than real, so your saying the score is incredible doesn't surprise me! It's still great to hear it from someone else, though. But how do you manage to have heard it?

Jul 5 2009, 07:50:24 AM
Sally, there is no question that Baz is privilege to the inside track to effect. Of course ALW and the RUG have needed the means to trickle out detail to prompt interest (albeit quite surprising how relatively little there has been), but that Baz himself was chosen was really not so likely to be about him at all. The reason he will have been chosen is because the Mail has the highest circulation (by a long way) in the right demographic. That's how it works!

Apart from the Mail circul

Jul 4 2009, 06:17:24 AM
I understand more where Smerg-the-impaler is coming from, in terms of the expressed trepidation re the potential effect on personal perception of the original, but the blanket negativity re it's prospects of the sillies inhabiting fan boards is just dumb! And it is flying in the face of the rising general expectation of it elsewhere as well.

Out of curiosity I did go to see what was being said a while back on "phan" boards (a fairly long while admittedly) and to someone who is not incli

Jul 3 2009, 06:05:39 PM
Sadly!

Jul 3 2009, 05:54:52 PM
I can't get those links to open at all, although I had seen the article before anyway.

But with regard to those who still desperately want to be pessimistic (Smerg-the-impaler), how on Earth did you read that article and still see something that you interprted as terribly negative? The guy couldn't be more enthusiastic. Whether you want to go and see it is up to you, but it is daft to imagine negativity where it really doesn't exist at all.

Of course there is the issue that

LINK BELOW - ANONYMOUS POLL
 Jun 30 2009, 08:30:37 AM
The real silliness of this is that no one should even be considering the issue, let alone voting, unless thay have actually see ALL four (and all four after they have been able to settle into the role as well)!
re: HELP! - Need Opinions on BEST Diva Songs!
 Jun 24 2009, 06:44:04 AM
One of the greatest archetyal diva songs ever has surely got to be "With One Look" from "Sunset Boulevard"!
re: Norma in Sunset Boulevard transfer
 Jun 17 2009, 03:07:16 PM
When is this thought to be scheduled for, anyway?
re: Norma in Sunset Boulevard transfer
 Jun 16 2009, 07:53:05 AM
But re the transfer, is anything substantive actually known about when or where it is scheduled for?
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You