News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Hagenisnotakitty

Hagenisnotakitty Profile Photo
Member Name: Hagenisnotakitty
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
 Jan 6 2015, 05:07:55 PM
That green spilling popcorn container on Rotten Tomatoes gives me the heart-pains. But, to be fair, I think being disappointed with the second act of Into the Woods is a very natural thing to do the first time you see it. This is my favorite musical of all time, and even my reaction to the OBC Video was “D’aaaaaaw, why’d it have to KEEP GOING? I’m all sad now. Eh.”

But even then, I wasn’t mad or angry or even convinced that the second act was just mind-numbingly pointless. My reaction

Jan 1 2015, 08:43:19 PM
Just saw it again. It’s true (for me anyway) what people said about it being better the second time. After knowing what to expect, I found the tonal shift and the transition to Act II to be point-by-point flawless. The movie didn’t drag as much for me this time. Given, I DO still think that a lot of the poignancy and punch got lost in the translation, but the film was WORLDS more entertaining this time around.

The only think that got worse, I think, was Anna Kendrick. Her performance d

Dec 30 2014, 04:14:01 PM
This little old woman is adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtrizGLef4

I like hearing Into the Woods n00bs enjoying the whole thing along with its messages. It makes me feel a lot better about the film, and I’m really looking forward to seeing it again!

Dec 28 2014, 03:41:53 PM
I was perusing reviews on youtube, and this one warmed my heart. It appears the show is definitely IN with some children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSHj3VjjR4

Dec 28 2014, 12:11:36 AM
I gotta say, the "Audience Score" on RT is bumming me out a lot more than the negative critic reviews. Despite its flaws, I thought Into the Woods was far more enjoyable than Les Miz (though I did enjoy that film!), and I'm sad to see so many people unfamiliar with the show disliking it so much. I can’t understand how so many people can honestly justify saying “It should have just ended at the wedding.” It says a lot about people today that so many actually think the characters DESERVE a cut-and
 Dec 26 2014, 12:39:23 AM
I'm getting angry with these ignorant parent reviews. I've read about three that complain about "having their children watch a MARRIED WOMAN kiss another man." One person even said the movie "portrayed an affair as okay." A bunch of people said it should have ended at the wedding.

1. You don't get to be that parent who complains when their kids watch movies YOU TOOK THEM TO that you find inappropriate. It was your responsibility to look the damn movie up.

2. I'll never understa

Dec 25 2014, 08:51:08 PM
Just got back from seeing it. Dear God, I had no idea THAT MANY theatre geeks lived near me--the place was jam-packed when I came and when I left.

Upon viewing the thing, I can really understand the "good-not-great" reaction coming from it. The first act was HOLY MOTHERFRICKING FRICK OF ALMIGHTY SAVIORS amazing. From the performances to the script changes to the cinematography, EVERYTHING came together beautifully and enhanced the piece like clockwork. However, as has been said before,

Dec 24 2014, 03:02:08 PM
http://www.markreviewsmovies.com/reviews/I/intothewoods.htm

Though this review has some reasonable points about story-halting numbers like "Giants in the Sky", this reviewer has some bizarre nitpicks:

"The woods are just trees / The trees are just wood," sings one of the fairy-tale characters before and after she and a group of other characters sing that they're going—you guessed it—into the woods.

The literalism of the lyrics makes a certain kind of sense for the stage. The woods behind a proscenium arch clearly are not real. They're pieces of set. The art of theater is representing reality through illusion. The art of cinema is presenting an illusion that appears to be reality. We don't really need to be told of what things the woods are made or, for that matter, of what material the things that make up the woods are made. In a play, we can forgive that sort of excessive description as a part of maintaining the illusion. In a movie, it's much more difficult to excuse."

I mean...REALLY?

Dec 19 2014, 09:47:24 PM
SKY?
 Dec 13 2014, 09:42:18 AM
@gypsy 101

Full Prologue: http://alexdunphy.tumblr.com/post/105039804860

Dec 12 2014, 09:11:11 PM
Meryl was very breathy at first, but I think it really works, and it probably will be really dramatic onscreen.

Also, I did the big ugly no-no and listened to the full prologue (I HAVE NO SELF-CONTROL, I'M SORRY). Meryl rocked the Witch's Rap. My previous comment about the changes to that scene are now outdated, as this sounded like it worked.

I didn't, however, care for the big pauses they gave the characters between lines near the end. ("Into the woods to sell the cow!"

Dec 10 2014, 12:46:01 AM
I took a gander at the prologue, but nothing else. SPOILERS(?)

Firstly, it seems they're having the Witch reveal the "cursed with age and ugliness" thing outright, sorta defeating the purpose of the "...and well that's another story, NEVERMIND!" joke.

Also, does anybody else find the new dialogue to sound stilted and unnatural-sounding? Not just in the screenplay, but in some of the clips (the "Magic Beans" clip especially). I'm hoping this is just me being so used to the origi

Nov 28 2014, 12:54:29 PM

Can anyone say if "A Very Nice Prince" is still a song? In the samples, all we hear is spoken dialogue. Thanks. :)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You