News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for JudyDenmark

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
Member Name: JudyDenmark
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 09:20:01 AM

Tommy was legitimately robbed. Nothing other than revival? No lighting, sound design, choreography, Ali?? I’m sad - I loved it so much. 

Shocked about Michael Imperioli. 

And also bummed for the Illinoise performers. 

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 01:32:53 PM

Jeremy Strong, Daniel Day Lewis... both celebrities. Just because someone's not, like, Tom Hanks or Meryl Streep-level A+ list celebrities does not mean they're not celebrities. I definitely (admittedly) went to Enemy of the People for the starry cast, it wasn't because of a love of Ibsen. 

Unrelated, what a strange year for awards this is! 

AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE 2024 Previews  Feb 27 2024, 11:24:42 PM

FLarnhill said: ""How was it?"

A masterpiece. Pedretti was the only weak link but the direction, stage, andacting were all unbelievable. Strong is winning that Tony. No contest.
"

Love to hear it! I’m very excited to see this. Is there a section you’d recommend (or not recommend) for the view?

Tony Awards aftermath  Jun 14 2023, 08:47:06 AM

bear88 said: "Hi JudyDenmark,

I have been critical of theShuckedTony Awards performance because I thought it was much too hyperactive. I have seen the musical and thought it had several strong song candidates, or a less-busy medley, depending on what the producers and creatives wanted to emphasize.

I’m curious what appealed to your small sample size of Tony Awards watchers. Because if they all wanted to see the show after watching the performance,

Tony Awards aftermath  Jun 14 2023, 12:02:10 AM

FWIW, at my Tony party (in NYC), everyone who hadn’t yet seen Shucked said they wanted to see it after the performance. I mean, that’s like 6 tickets haha, but the sentiment was pretty unanimous 

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys [updated]  Jun 8 2023, 08:32:05 PM

Have there been any updates around about the format/plans for the show? In the performances announcement it all seems like business as usual, except that we know it won’t be, writing wise? 

I know we’ll find out in a few days, but asking selfishly as I put together this year’s bingo cards for my Tony party. I always do a combo of general awards show stuff and topical stuff, but it’s challenging this year without knowing what to expect. Though ul

Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards  Jun 5 2023, 05:02:30 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "See I think this is a great opportunity to show off the improv talent of the Broadway community. A roulette of improv games. Or karaoke. Or yes and. Or freeze scene. It could be entertaining to see the off the wall in the moment creations. Instead of the scripted boring stuff."

I kind of love this idea. AND longer performances. 

I’d love to see Shucked do a little narrator banter (or Kevin Cahoon banter) into I Do. I know, unli

NY City Center teasing 2024 Encores season  May 30 2023, 08:49:23 PM

I immediately thought Rocky Horror with the tongue. Babes in Arms is a good guess for the one note. Long overdue for a good NY production of that. 

Also, how was Hedwig TEN YEARS ago…!

TODAY Show "Best of Broadway" Week 2023 2.0  May 2 2023, 08:16:41 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "NaTasha Yvette Williams and the company of the most Tony-nominated show of the season,Some Like It Hot, performing “What Are You Thirsty For?”:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Video-SOME-LIKE-IT-HOT-Performs-What-Are-You-Thirsty-For-on-TODAY-Watch-their-Tony-Nominations-Reaction-20230502
"

That was great! I love how over the moon NaTasha Yvette Williams is before she even knew she was a nominee herself. 

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 2 2023, 05:13:21 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "and Casey Nicholaw finally brings home his first Choreography Tony for Some Like It Hot."

Wait, WHAT? How does he not have a choreo Tony?! He 100% deserves it for this - for that second act chase scene showstopper alone, never mind the rest of the show.

Unrelated, loved Micaela Diamond's instagram post today showing her live reaction. So happy for her. There was never any doubt she'd get nominated, but she's absolute

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 2 2023, 09:15:04 AM

ACL2006 said: "Looks like A BEAUTIFUL NOISE got shut out. Hopefully they still perform."

Dancin too - I am floored it didn’t get at least a lighting nod. 

Would be surprised if either perform. Though… with the WGA strike who knows what the show might look like this year, so maybe. 

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 2 2023, 08:56:15 AM

TaffyDavenport said: "That is the production's preferred pronunciation of Prima Facie."

Wait it is?? That’s… interesting. Well I stand corrected. 

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 2 2023, 08:53:32 AM

UWS10023 said: "Why again does Best Actress have 4 slots?"

It’s based on the total number of eligible actresses. 

Nominations aside, I will never understand why the presenters reading these are not taught how to pronounce the names of the plays. Prima Facie and Leopoldstadt were… oof.

But congrats to the nominees!

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 2 2023, 08:39:26 AM

bwayphreak234 said: "If Colton Ryan slips in over Andrew Burnap, I will be so disappointed.”

The groan I emitted….  (for that and Life of Pi)

But Lorna Courtney!!

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 1 2023, 05:17:45 PM

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Besides the much discussed lead acting categories, one that is quite perplexing is Featured Actor in a Musical.

I'd say Alex Newell, Justin Cooley, and Kevin del Aguila feel safe ish. Going by who showed up in precursors, Kevin Cahoon and Mark Jacoby would get the next two slots. But I think Gavin Creel and Jordan Donica feel like very strong contenders (plus Dancin' has put out a bunch of well timed interviews for Kolton Krouse, pushing th

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  May 1 2023, 01:11:18 PM

TheBroadwayMaven said: "To me, the key to the brilliance of his performance is you felt like you were seeing two performances -- a callow youth in the first act and a world-weary leader in the second."

Couldn't agree with this more, and that he's really the reason I enjoyed Camelot as much as I did (and more than I thought I would). He made Arthur so likable. 

Definitely still hoping for some Dancin nods as my #1 wish list this year, but Burnap&#3

CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews  Apr 30 2023, 11:09:16 AM

CATSNYrevival said: "JudyDenmark said: "This has to be the most boring score in all of musical theatre."

You have wounded my soul with this comment.
"

Haha I’m truly sorry! I’ll have to listen to some of the songs in isolation - as a whole it just felt like the balance of what I want in a show like this (namely a lot more ensemble work, though to be fair I’m a bit of a vocal arranging nerd) was so off that it became hard

CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews  Apr 30 2023, 12:14:50 AM

Saw this tonight, and went in knowing zero about the show other than that it's about King Arthur, the one song "If Ever I Would Leave You" (and probably could've only sung that title line), and that it's Lerner & Loewe. 

I got my ticket before reviews came out, largely because I really enjoy Phillipa Soo, Jordan Donica (from seeing him in My Fair Lady and last fall's NY Pops Broadway concert where he killed it), and the lush orchestra and high-qua

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  Apr 29 2023, 12:15:59 PM

Mr. Wormwood said: "Yeah, the whole Dancin' thing is what I'm least sure of. I don't feel great about predicting 0 nominations for it when I could see it get in for Revival over Camelot or sneak in to something like Orchestrations or Lighting.

A few other things I didn't predict but COULD see happening:
- Andrew Lloyd Webber or Carolee Carmello get in for Bad Cinderella
- A Beautiful Noise gets in over NYNY for Best Musical
- Ben Platt or Jos

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)  Apr 29 2023, 02:30:39 AM

Is it that time? Mr. Wormwood, mine are not that far off from yours, though trying to manifest some Dancin' love. Some of these acting categories were just so painful to narrow down - exciting year with too many great options! Starred my winner picks for the hell of it. 

Best Musical
& Juliet
*Kimberly Akimbo

New York, New York
Shucked
Some Like It Hot

Best Revival of a Musical

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You