News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for tenorphil81

Member Name: tenorphil81
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Carousel Stage Dooring - Renée Fleming
 Aug 28 2018, 11:40:03 AM

For those who have stage-doored "Carousel" recently, does anyone remember seeing Renée Fleming signing autographs/taking photos? Just curious as I'll be there soon and would love to meet her (among others). Thanks!

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
 Jan 7 2015, 12:29:33 PM
So, with all the featurettes Disney has released on this movie, I feel like I've watched the entire "Special Features" section of the future Blu-Ray.

And yes, I'm still buying it.

Dec 31 2014, 02:50:40 PM
My first viewing was a late evening showing at a megaplex in an Illinois suburb of St. Louis. The audience was a mix of teenagers and up (not many families or small children) A particularly inconsiderate group of teenagers behind talked sotto voce throughout the Prologue and I had to "shush" them...which only worked once because the talking was peppered throughout, and got louder whenever the sound levels increased. (They must have this down to a science.) I had a feeling that at least one of th
 Dec 30 2014, 05:47:25 PM
As I listen to the soundtrack after seeing the film thrice over Xmas weekend, I'm still grinning at how well Chris Pine played the Prince. For me, he's one of the MVPs of this cast (including Meryl & Emily). I wonder why he's not at all in contention (or buzzed about) for a nomination. Is the supporting actor field just too crowded with better contenders?
 Dec 26 2014, 05:30:07 AM
Thought I would share my (longish) review which I initally posted to FB. I have endeavored to offer impressions/thoughts ONLY; no spoilers. That said, if you would rather not have these impressions/thoughts in your mind before seeing the film, pass on this post and read it after.

Director Rob Marshall took on an enormous (and possibly unenviable) task of adapting source material both dark in tone (despite its fairy tale trappings) and so damn beloved by musical theater/Sondheim fans. Th

Dec 23 2014, 02:59:00 PM
It feels like the knives are out. Snob alert, but, I think a lot of these critics (including the RedEyeChicago guy) are likely so mind-numbed by a constant diet of subpar sci-fi, zombie, superhero movies that they wouldn't know a quality story if it hit them over the head. I think, too, that there's a lot of ignorance and/or hostility towards musicals for being "unrealistic" when, in fact, several of the sci-fi, zombie and superhero movies are already inherently unrealistic.

No matter.

Dec 22 2014, 05:29:09 PM
So, at the end of the day, Marshall, et. al. just can't win. Seems that the critics don't get that the second half was meant to be dark. Whatever.
 Dec 19 2014, 12:51:06 PM
You have a point, Musical Master. We at least haven't seen something as harsh as the Time Magazine review of LES MIS that said (and I paraphrase): "This film makes me wish they'd bring back the guillotine."
Cabaret Will Officially Launch National Tour
 Dec 18 2014, 05:34:36 PM
I hope it comes to St. Louis...either at the Peabody or Fox, though the latter venue once swallowed up the first tour back in 2000.
 Dec 16 2014, 10:55:46 AM
Though we won't be hearing "No More" or "Ever After" as actual songs in this adaptation, I'm glad to know that they will be used to enhance the mood. It's a great way to honor the original material. I was always amused at how in CABARET, instrumental versions of "It Couldn't Please Me More" and "Don't Tell Mama" popped up as the music on Sally's phonograph.
Peter Pan comments and reviews
 Dec 5 2014, 12:40:10 PM
I really wanted to like this, and while it wasn't a complete disaster, I didn't feel very uplifted by the presentation. Allison Williams made a good effort, but (as many others have said) she lacked a lot of the spunk and spontaneity of Peter. Christopher Walken was quite disappointing and almost uncomfortable to watch, especially when surrounded by theater professionals. Louderman, O'Hara, Borle and several of the supporting players/chorus rose to their task, but sometimes strong supporting per
INTO THE WOODS Blu-ray
 Dec 3 2014, 03:31:56 PM
I agree with tazber. Why would they NOT want to re-release this title when there's so much momentum and buzz about "Into the Woods" generated by a major film release? The MUNY in St. Louis is finally presenting "Into the Woods" and I'll bet you that they are cashing in on the title's recent momentum and buzz. (They mounted "Les Misérables" the summer after the film was released, and I would't be surprised if it were the same situation.)
My Little ANNIE (2014) Review
 Dec 3 2014, 03:22:10 PM
I may only see this film in order to hate-watch it.
 Dec 3 2014, 01:35:12 PM
A friend of mine just got out of an advance press screening this morning in NYC. He's an opera singer who loves musical theatre, so I expected some scrutiny. Here are his brief initial thoughts on Facebook:

"People! It's so good. The book rewrites are great and song reordering was well done. Loved Agony and Steps of the Palace."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You