News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for baal

Member Name: baal
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago
 Apr 13 2015, 01:23:01 PM

"You guys need to lay off philly pinto.  
I have loved your detailed thoughts about the play, characters and motivations.  It has helped me to better understand and enjoy the show.  But when you jump all over someone who isn't as far along as you that isn't right or fair. That is snobbery and bullying.       Cut it out.    
You find him annoying.  That's fine.  It would be nice to keep from sharing your

Whistle Down The Wind??
 Feb 9 2015, 01:33:07 PM
Another great number off the concept album is Elaine Paige doing "If Only". Such a devastatingly gorgeous performance. I also think it's one of ALW's best ballads. It's such a simple melody and orchestration, but it still manages to have some amount of excitement in it.

Whistle Down The Wind??
 Feb 8 2015, 04:16:54 PM
"I think the score is one of ALW's strongest post Aspects of Love. The Steinman collaboration suits him (I still find it hard to think that Tire Tracks--a tune taken from Song and Dance--is not a Steinman melody.) "

Agree completely. I think they really did some great stuff together. ALW had originally asked Steinman to write the lyrics for Phantom, but Steinman was working on the Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fires album with Bonnie Tyler (which ended up being a dud sales wise, despite

THE WILD PARTY (LIPPA) IS AMAZING!!!
 Feb 4 2015, 09:09:23 PM
I agree that the score is pretty great. I much prefer Lippa's score to Lachiusa's, though I think Lachiusa is overall a better composer -- I love many of Lachiusa's scores, while Wild Party is the only Lippa score that I enjoy.
Idina to Star In TV Show Produce By Ellen
 Jan 30 2015, 03:31:50 PM
"Her Broadway show was a hit, and the only reason it's closing it's because no one else can carry it like Idina, box-office wise.
Her concert at RCMH was a success, she's performing everywhere (Oscars, X-Factor, talk-shows...)
She's about to start her world tour
And now this... "

Not to mention her holiday album peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200 and sold just under 400k copies. I remember buying her first album when it was still out of print and then when I Stand came out

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/18/15
 Jan 21 2015, 10:48:01 AM
JRB also orchestrated and arranged the full score for Urban Cowboy, and was the music director. So Philly wasn't completely off. You don't need to be so rude over a petty detail.
Health Remedies Used By Theatre Professionals
 Jan 20 2015, 07:10:05 PM
Cough drops usually contain menthol, which can numb and dry out the throat without actually doing anything about the inflammation. I use slippery elm bark lozenges which act as a demulcent and coat the throat. Thayer's is a good brand or you can make your own with raw honey and slippery elm powder.

Grether's Pastille's are really popular as well, but I didn't find them to be very effective.

Health Remedies Used By Theatre Professionals
 Jan 20 2015, 06:45:08 PM
I'm a senior voice major, and one of the biggest things I've found and been taught is to keep a good amount of moisture in the air at home, especially while I'm sleeping. I also use a neti pot to keep my sinuses clear and gargle with warm salt water every night.

I have also come across a number of herbal remedies, my favorite being garlic honey which I consume just about every day, which helps not only the immune system but relieves soreness as well. Licorice root and slippery elm are

Just let it go
 Jan 4 2015, 06:11:18 PM
Yeah she did write it. It's from her first album she recorded in the 90s after Rent.

I feel so bad for Idina with this situation. I was praying before the performance that she wouldn't sing it in the original key. And once I heard that it was, and heard the tone of her voice, I knew she would have trouble.

I'm not sure if the producers of the special wouldn't let her use a different backing track or not, but none of this would've have happened if it would have been few step

BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
 Dec 20 2014, 06:18:23 PM
Andrew Lloyd Webber is a great composer.

Dance of the Vampires has a great score, and the Roman Polanski directed production is absolutely thrilling.

I can't stand the negativity that people on the internet have when it comes to the talent of an individual or the merit of a piece. The majority of things that people in this thread have labelled as flat out "horrible" aren't. Even if I don't get a certain composer or performer, I very rarely think they're horrible, especially if

Shows that would have been great with a different composer
 Dec 20 2014, 05:58:51 PM
Although Sunset Boulevard is my favorite score from Lloyd Webber, I would love to see what Erich Korngold would have done with the material.

Andrew Lloyd Webber Vs. Sondheim
 Dec 14 2014, 07:13:35 PM
"Debating Sondheim and Lloyd Webber is like comparing a great greasy buger and a delectable aged steak. They are both amazing but totally different."

YES. I've been arguing this for years. They are completely different composers.

It all depends on what you're wanting to get from your theatre experience: something a bit more mentally engaging and sophisticated or something wonderfully romantic and melodic. I've never understood the need to criticize Lloyd Webber for the rep

Idina Menzel on UK X Factor
 Dec 11 2014, 02:04:54 PM
"if sc
he isn't screaming at you, she kind of sucks"

It cracks me up when people say she sucks, because she really doesn't. From a singer and musician's standpoint, she's extremely talented and has a killer voice. I never understood the "screaming" argument made against her, either.

I've been a fan since before Wicked and have always found her voice to be very powerful; the timbre of her voice has always given me chills, especially when she's in the Bb5 to Eb5 range.

Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
 Dec 10 2014, 10:14:35 PM
"At any rate, it does look better than that atrocious Les Mis film."

I thought the Les Mis film was pretty great--incredibly superior to the majority of musical adaptations of the past 20 years.

From the small amount we have seen, I think this looks pretty promising. I thought Rob Marshall really missed the mark with Nine, but have high hopes for this.

Dec 7 2014, 05:58:44 PM
She did quite a few dates in the UK a few years ago, including 6 or 7 shows in London at the Apollo, so it seems she has enough of a following in the UK to support her touring there.
 Dec 7 2014, 05:13:42 PM
I'm not sure why there's a perception that the performance hasn't been well received. Other than the usual few detractors, the responses on twitter have been the typical positive comments about Idina.

I thought the performance was a lot of fun. It didn't necessarily allow her to show of the belt that people have come to expect, but it was nice.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You