News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ArtfulAmy17

Member Name: ArtfulAmy17
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best Scene Changes
 Sep 13 2019, 06:33:57 PM

SouthernCakes said: "ArtfulAmy love to hear your review! Have friends in the cast!"

SouthernCakes, that is so awesome for your friends to be part of "Billy Elliot" at Goodspeed! I'm really looking forward to seeing it and I'll be sure to share my thoughts :) 

I'll also add to others' comments about the original staging of "Les Mis" and the indelible imagery of the hulking barricade halves tilting 90 degre

Best Scene Changes
 Sep 13 2019, 03:34:09 PM

SueBee06 said: "The entire sequence starting from the beginning of The Angry Dance in Billy Elliott through to the end is one that stands out in my memory. That was one of the most effective uses of props, projections, lighting, and scenery with staging and choreography that I've seen."

YES! Especially that moment when the police shields slam down in unison to form a wall behind Billy, on cue with a bold blue lighting change, as Billy launches

Original Production of LES MISERABLES in London Will Take Hiatus and Re-Open With New Staging
 Feb 7 2019, 12:41:16 AM

RippedMan said: "I just think there's no merit in saying it's the longest running musical when it's not the original production anymore?"

Yup, I feel the same way.

Original Production of LES MISERABLES in London Will Take Hiatus and Re-Open With New Staging
 Feb 6 2019, 11:56:45 PM

Lott666 said: "A concert version? For 16 weeks?!? I can't imagine they'll be selling those performances out."

I'm very skeptical too, although the announcement has surprisingly garnered a lot of general enthusiasm in the official "Les Miserables" Facebook page comments. To me, this concert version at the Gielgud just seems like a tacked-on buffer to fill the gap between the staging transitions at the Queen's so that the show can illogically and bogusly somehow retain its "longest running musical" title. I wish I could view it less cynically but the arbitrary scrapping of the original staging by Mackintosh, because it somehow suits him, with no public statement from the man himself, has made every successive announcement of post-original-staging plans all the more painful, including this one. 

Mister Matt said: "I'm glad I got tickets to see it again in March.  I have a very deep and personal emotional connection to this show, so I'll probably be a mess as soon as Fantine makes her ghostly appearance at the end of the second act."

I'll be right there with you! I'm in the process of booking a trip to London to see it one last time and I also expect to be an absolute crying mess during the Epilogue (or really, from the overture onwards). Losing the original staging in the US (on Broadway twice and the discontinuation of the Third National Tour) was devastating to me, having grown up with it, and I expected it would last at least another decade or so in London...

RippedMan said: "There's no way they can still say it's the longest running musical in the world right? I mean, to have it morph from old version to concert version to revival version doesn't quite make sense?"

I completely agree, it really doesn't make sense to me either. The Stage reported that "Les Miserables" will retain the title (https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2019/les-miserables-retain-world-record-despite-switching-productions/) which fails to stand to reason. In a very broad sense, really stretching it, yes, there will be a Mackintosh-produced "Les Miserables" of some sort selling tickets in the West End, but in name and logo only. Each of these various renditions, however confusing and crowded under the Mackintosh umbrella as they may be, are all separate productions with different crews and teams and do not and should not combine to count as one thing just because the Mackintosh name is on them, especially when the original staging doesn't survive. 

Feb 5 2019, 10:59:25 PM

There's been news reported about the details of the Gielgud run, this interim "transfer" to the Gielgud will be a 16-week staged concert version: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael-Ball-Alfie-Boe-Will-Reunite-for-Concert-Version-of-LES-MISERABLES-20190205

Is a 16-week concert run sustainable when people can just watch either the 10th or 25th Anniversary DVDs in their own living rooms? Other than the draw of seeing a Alfie Boe/Michael Ball "Confrontation" sung in person, will theatergoers pay for a concert version, if they know that the "new staging" is coming along anyway?  

None of this situation and saga makes much sense to me.

If the original staging is figuratively being thrown into the sewer, I wish Mr. Mackintosh could wait until the 34th anniversary of the show on October 8th so it would at least meet a valid milestone and the turntable/revolve would literally come full circle. Just the thought of the "new staging" being recognized in October as a 34-year run in the West End is like insult to injury.

Jan 22 2019, 02:26:07 AM

Soaring29 said: "Are they finally going to get rid of that awful marching in One Day More?"

Nope, the new staging has more extreme marching with the students weaving sideways and forward like a zig-zag pattern and it almost looks like they're pushing each other out of the way as each row makes its way forward. The effect can be a bit nauseating since the students march in multiple directions in front of a Paris street projection

Jan 16 2019, 12:50:22 PM

The Stage reports today that royalty negotiation talks have started between the RSC and Mackintosh (https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2019/rsc-begins-crunch-talks-cameron-mackintosh-les-miserables-royalties/). To quote from it, "RSC chief executive Catherine Mallyon confirmed to The Stage that negotiations with Mackintosh were ongoing in light of the changes. 'As part of the conversation we will be discussing the level of change around the royalties for the two productions,' she said. She added that the company was 'sad to see the groundbreaking original production leave the West End'."

It's just such a shame that the grandeur of the original production has to end like this. It's almost like a divorce settlement between the RSC and Mackintosh, like Mackintosh figuratively had an affair with another creative production team, filed for divorce from the RSC and gets to keep the house and redecorate it charge people to look around like it was always his own. The way Mackintosh has conducted this process, from the conception of the 25th Anniversary touring staging that left Trevor Nunn in the dark, to the current situation in the West End, leaves a bitter taste.

Jan 12 2019, 02:00:57 AM

I'm still very sad about this news as I am biased towards the original staging (and set design!) which I've seen in a few of its incarnations (Original Broadway run at the Imperial, Third US National Tour, first Broadway revival at the Broadhurst and in the West End at the Queen's).

I've seen the new staging (second Broadway revival at the Imperial) and I although I wasn't completely offended by it, I found it very contradictory, like it had an identity cri

Jan 10 2019, 03:03:35 PM

Is there any correlation between this announcement and the profit loss to Delfont Mackintosh Ltd. from the over-budget refurbishment of the Victoria Palace Theatre that was reported today? I understand that theatre refurbishments are necessary but is sacrificing the masterpiece of "the longest running musical" and mecca of the West End that cemented Mackintosh's career really worth the cost?

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2019/budget-60m-victoria-palace-redevelopment-halves-cameron-mackintoshs-profits/

Billy vs. Matilda Tony
 Mar 22 2015, 11:35:30 AM
Both "Billy Elliot" and "Matilda" are very unique cases in which multiple young performers originated the title role. The Olivier Awards had set a precedent that the Tony Awards followed (first closely then loosely) for both sets of nominations. In 2005 the three original London Billys shared the Olivier Award for Best Actor and in turn the Tony committee decided that a similar nomination should be in place for the three original Broadway Billys in 2009. After the four original London Matildas s
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You