News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Odie2

Member Name: Odie2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Sierra Boggess to play Maria in West Side Story in London  Apr 25 2018, 04:20:04 PM

troynow said: "Yes Sierra dropped out because it was wRONG... it is about doscovering new people. The talent that can sing maria may be unknown.

However, the talent is unknow because of decades of producers and theatres giving those rare opportuntoes over to a person who is WHITE.

However, the same is happening at Williamstown witn Lempicka. They have foolishly yet again... tale a black tole and goven it away. Joesphine Baker was a black woman.

Take a look yet... no comments. No theeads... nothing

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Eden-Espinosa-Rachel-Tucker-Chita-Rivera-and-More-Announced-for-Williamstown-Theatre-Festival-20180424
"

This has nothing to do with Sierra taking a role of some unknown. She is popular and producers are in the business of making money. There are a few bankable star that producers can count on to fill seats and she is one of them. As are Audra McDonald, norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo, Lea Salonga. 

Sierra Boggess to play Maria in West Side Story in London  Apr 21 2018, 10:31:30 PM

wssinsider said: "John Adams said: "wssinsider said: "Fact the Proms get recorded and played everywhere. There goes another generation of brown little girls seeing a white old lady play Maria . See OUR point? So are you ok with Sierra playing Sarah in a Ragtime Concert?"

No, I don't see any point being made at all. Sierra playing Sarah in Ragtime? Yup, I'd agree that would be goofy. Sierra singing any selection from Ragtime in concert (including any of the selections written for the men like, 'Wheels of a Dream'? I'm absolutely fine with that.

This is a concert, not a production. Should "another generation of brown little girls" be disappointed that the oboist is not Puerto Rican?

If you insist on thinking of this concer
This concert is meant to celebrate Bernstein's 100th birthday by performing his score (and later, 'On the Town', also) - NOT to convey the plot or characters of West Side Story.
"

you must be a white male #Privilege . God bless you. I hope you enjoy your privilege

"

This is ALW and Cmack privilege and nothing more. She is a name because of them and draws people to buy tickets and it all equals to $$$. Look at the two most cast stars for concert production and they are Ramin and Sierra. They are bankable and very easy to market and easy to work with thus they fit all the check boxes.  

MCP Broadway Classics in Concert  Feb 23 2018, 03:57:00 PM
I was there, the sound was great and artists, orchestra and choir was fantastic. “On the streets of a Dublin” was a nice suprise song that I wasn’t expecting and really ended up enjoying.
The rockettes to perform at the Dons inauguration  Dec 23 2016, 03:36:54 PM

henrikegerman said: "Sorry, Odie, misunderstood the crux of your point.

Still, might there be a real difference between being part of a union which takes positions or makes donations one is opposed to and being forced to perform in honor of an administration one is opposed to?

Many people have bosses who fund campaigns one might be opposed to with capital made on the sweat of their labor force.   At least with a union, on

The rockettes to perform at the Dons inauguration  Dec 23 2016, 02:11:21 PM

henrikegerman said: "Odie2 said: "CATSNYrevival said: "I'm trying to understand why it's okay for an employer to force an employee to take part in a political event. Regardless of the profession, it  seems like something that would have been thought of and safe gaurded against in a contract by now.

"

"It's done all the time. Unions collect dues from full time employee whether or not the emp

The rockettes to perform at the Dons inauguration  Dec 23 2016, 01:57:27 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "I'm trying to understand why it's okay for an employer to force an employee to take part in a political event. Regardless of the profession, it  seems like something that would have been thought of and safe gaurded against in a contract by now.

"

It's done all the time. Unions collect dues from full time employee whether or not the employee agrees with their political beliefs even if he or she&

ANASTASIA Great Casting Announced  Dec 6 2016, 10:46:09 PM

Some press is starting to leak in. The cast had a VIP sneak peek 

http://pagesix.com/2016/12/06/vips-get-a-sneak-peek-into-broadways-anastasia/?share=email&nb=1

ANASTASIA Great Casting Announced  Nov 23 2016, 06:21:45 PM

It seems from Ramin Karimloo's twitter account that there is a new song for Gleb 

Thank you @AnastasiaBway for this new song you sent for me to learn. Incredibly beautiful & equally challenging. #broadway #anastasia #gleb

Actors who have reprised/returned  Aug 10 2016, 11:10:34 PM

Would it also include west end running shows? If so than les miserables and phantom of the opera would have a quite a few. For les miserables Alfie Boe, Ramin Karimloo, JOJ quickly come to mind. I believe for phantom on Broadway , Hugh Panaro reprised the role and on the west end JOJ as well. In particular for JOJ I think reprising those roles really held him back as an actor.  He has a such a velvety smooth voice and while I love those productions I would love to him

Man shot and killed by cops near theater district  May 20 2016, 09:53:38 AM

Hi I'm not sure if it was mentioned and I'm no expert, But I believe that many law enforcement weapons shoot multiple bullets with one trigger pull. One trigger from two officers can equal to 10-12 bullets. Also I believe they are trained to hit at the center of the body to prevent stray bullets or bullets ricocheting of surrounding areas. In a crowded street, and when force is used aiming for a suspect center is safer for the bystanders. Also keep in mind that most off

LIVE TV Musicals  Feb 25 2016, 05:57:04 PM

the record, I am NOT among those who thought GREASE on TV was an unqualified success. In fact, in the threads immediately after the production, only Hough and Hudgins got universally good responses. To me, the producers sacrificed every bit of drama and most of the comedy in their attempt to reproduce the film on sound stages. The actors were so busy racing from mark to mark that (with the above exceptions) they all seemed like middle-schoolers reciting lines by rote in their first

LIVE TV Musicals  Feb 25 2016, 04:07:28 PM

Plannietink08 said: "I'm a big supporter of filming Broadway shows before they close, i.e. Shrek BUT like it's been mentioned - Broadway shows are an investment, they don't care about as many people seeing the show, they don't care about some 20 year old student from Kansas who can't afford to get to New York. Producers only care about filling the theatre night after night for as long as possible. 

T

The filming of Legally Blonde was

LIVE TV Musicals  Feb 25 2016, 03:43:16 PM

Phantom of the opera 25th anniversary from the RAH is available on DVD and Netflix. As is Les Miserables at the O2. If anything it increases their relevancie at least worldwide, caused many actors to rise to fame and it did not hurt box office sales. Im sure aquity would be fine as long as the actors involved keep on getting risidual checks for every sale and public broadcast. The producers brand gets recognition is a similar way touring productions do and I'm sure they could ga

The Secret Garden 2016 Concert Presentation  Feb 22 2016, 07:52:52 PM

Is it being taped for PBS? 

Broadgrass  Jan 20 2016, 11:36:48 PM

I was watching a recent clip of Ramin karimloo singing bring him home where he harmonizes with Hadley Fraser and adds element of bluegrass to it . Found it interesting and nice in a different way so thought I'd share. I'm also curious if anyone else knows of musicians combining  songs from musicals with other genres. 

http://youtu.be/cdcoii-hXc8

Les Miz Casting  Jan 18 2016, 01:58:13 PM

CindersGolightly said: "White doesn't equal not racist sweetie! :)

Trying to have an adult conversation is not racist. Labeling people and calling them names for trying have a dialogue is bullying and offensive 

Les Miz Casting  Jan 18 2016, 09:03:07 AM

perhaps i am naive but why does every comment that mentions race is assumed to have an automatic racist overtones by the responders on this  board? The op asked a questions that makes sense and for someone reason any dialog or questions that is asked on this board is shut down and the poster is automatically deemed racists. 

To the op question, while one can suspend belief, in this show it is difficult. While I enjoyed Kyle Scatlif performance I did not enj

John Owen Jones is new Valjean  Dec 4 2015, 08:36:12 AM

JOJ is like a minivan. Highly dependable gets you to where you need to go. He not flashy  and doesn't do anything particularly memorable. He won't fill the seats and he not a draw (like Alfie and Ramin) but people will be happy and he will satisfy the audience enough to tell the story  

To be honest I like Alfie for his singing voice but I think he lacks acting skills.  While Ramin lacks technique he makes up for it by

LES MIZ Sets Sept. 2016 Broadway Closing Date  Dec 3 2015, 08:34:50 PM

I saw the original production with the turntable towards the end of its run and I saw this production, and I felt this one superior.  I'm curios if those posters who preferred the original saw it early in the run and maybe it was more exciting because I found it boring. I found that it was difficult to see what was happening on top of the barricade. I could not afford good seats then, I sat below the balcony and I hard to lean forward and crane my next to see

Demographics of the Broadway Audience 2013-2014  Oct 9 2015, 10:54:07 AM

Interesting info.

I wonder how much Twitter and social media influences ticket sales. I know that if I follow someone who tweets about a she they went to I'm more likely to be interested in that show

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You