News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for dissimilate

Member Name: dissimilate
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jessie Mueller Stagedoor  Jul 31 2016, 11:43:36 AM

She does do the stage door, but only rarely. It took me more than a week of trying. (During the week, I saw her leave via the back door numerous times, but didn’t bother her, since she was clearly not up for interacting with fans.) When she finally worked the line, I thanked her for her performance, and told her that I was glad to see that she was well enough to come out the stage door. She apologized and said that she was trying to stave off a perpetu

American Psycho sheet music available  Jul 28 2016, 11:11:27 AM

God, I love that line. Though to me it sounds a little more like “Patruuuuuuuuckkkkk!” Whenever I listen to the London version I mentally transpose her voice into that line.

(I also think about “This isn’t Hoboken” instead of “This isn’t Brooklyn.” Of course, given the 80s setting, Brooklyn was probably appropriate, but to me, having lived in 2010s Manhattan, Hoboken is just funnier and more represent

shuffle along cast cd  Jul 24 2016, 09:10:24 PM

bryan said: "hi do not judge me but I think the real reson that they will not prvese is that maybae they do not want to save they history in black muisc

"

I disagree. I think it had everything to do with the show's finances. Although I hear that most shows these days raise a specific portion of their funding for the cast recording, so I'm actually surprised if shows don't receive recordings these days.

<

Laura Benanti as Melania Trump  Jul 20 2016, 12:32:28 PM

MarkBearSF – I’m in total agreement, her comedic timing is perfect. I asked her once on Twitter whether she’d done any stage improv, and she said she hadn’t, though she does improvise in those TheaterMania “explains the Broadway plays/musicals” videos (which are absolutely hilarious). She isn’t particularly known for impressions either, but she knocks this out of the park!

I sure hope she guests on SNL, or some other show that gets her nam

Stripped down versions of big musicals?  Jul 15 2016, 11:29:19 AM

aces25 said: "what are some great "stripped down" versions of big shows you've seen? Such as Fiasco Theatre's Into the Woods. 

"

Yes, YES! Fiasco’s Into the Woods was a transformative experience for me. Sure, the performances could’ve been better, but what a concept. Pulled off with such aplomb.

Now, what if someone stripped down some long-running classics like… Les Mis? Wicked? Dare I say it,

Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history  Jul 15 2016, 10:46:25 AM

mikem said: "The breathless hyperbole in the article is really funny.  Muñoz playing Hamilton at Obama's first viewing was "the first moment that most people in the world learned Muñoz’s name"?  Actually, 99.999% of people in the world were completely uninterested in who was playing Hamilton at Obama's performance.

That being said, Muñoz probably is the most famous replacement actor in Broadway histor

Book to If/Then?  Jul 12 2016, 05:40:39 AM

I don’t think there’s an official script, but there’s a google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EYg4dmwH0FkMR-FxhnP5MYuPlmc1nO3H98sq1Ezqmvs/edit

It’s a collaborative effort by some fans to recreate the book from their multiple viewings of the show. From what I’ve skimmed, it’s pretty accurate.

SHE LOVES ME closes this afternoon - remembering its three Broadway bows through pictures  Jul 11 2016, 09:07:37 AM

Mr. Nowack said: "I've always thought that this decidedly old fashioned show had a strange resonance in these days of computer dating. The way Ilona says "you belong to a lonely hearts club!" is just like how someone might say "You have an online dating profile!"
"

Absolutely! I remember thinking exactly this when I saw it for the first time. The whole scene before I Don’t Know His Name could still take place today. &ldquo

SHE LOVES ME closes this afternoon - remembering its three Broadway bows through pictures  Jul 10 2016, 09:34:55 AM

These are great photos, Mr. Nowack, thanks for digging them up and sharing them here. It’s really interesting to see how the three productions have staged the same scenes – some very different choices, indeed, but then some the same! The 1963 production’s sets are so incredibly lush: is that an actual full Christmas tree in the window?!

Regarding the reduced orchestra and set of the 1993 revival, Roundabout’s upstage guide mentioned that She Loves Me wa

She Loves Me Recording?  Jul 6 2016, 03:41:10 AM

broadwayguy91 said: "Is it just me or is the tempo of the music faster than the 1993 recording / production ?

"

Some songs are slightly faster. And both are way faster than the original 1963.

Possible Jenna Replacements  Jul 1 2016, 11:06:30 AM

Broadway Forever2 said: "Does Sara have any acting experince? She has a phenomenal voice but I question how hood she would be even though she created the role. 

"

She has some acting experience from childhood but I wouldn’t hold my breath. You can look at some clips of her in The Little Mermaid at the Hollywood Bowl.

I think she would do a solid job, she just wouldn’t be spectacular, acting-wise. Also, t

She Loves Me streaming  Jul 1 2016, 08:54:02 AM

dramamama611 said: "You really thought this was going to be only one step up from a bootleg? (One camera??)

The live musicals can learn a thing or ten from this.

"

Word.

Shows That Should Receive a BroadwayHD Livestream  Jul 1 2016, 08:50:45 AM

dramamama611 said: "I think the combination of limited run and no tour is what made this feasible-- not their non profit status.

Would I like to see more of this, sure, if it's done as well as this was. But if lots of shows choose this, I might be less willing to GO to the shows that fit this category that I'm on the fence about."

It's the combination of limited run and no tour, but I would contend that what makes this combination possible in t

She Loves Me streaming  Jul 1 2016, 08:08:55 AM

It won't tour, unfortunately. Roundabout only produces limited engagements.

BroadwayHD has surpassed all expectations and with this, I think, firmly established their place in the Broadway industry.

Shows That Should Receive a BroadwayHD Livestream  Jul 1 2016, 08:04:57 AM

dramamama611 said: "Why do  you think them being a nonprofit  had anything to do with it?

"

Roundabout being a nonprofit means that producers doesn't have to worry about the live stream eating into potential tour revenue, or even into ticket sales (because it's a limited run, because it doesn't have to worry about recouping, because it's a nonprofit).

Lincoln Center, another nonprofit,&nb

She Loves Me streaming  Jul 1 2016, 02:37:44 AM

C4b2a3b said: "DAME said: "It was fabulous.  What a monumental achievement for all involved .  The stream for me worked beautifully .  I watched it on our big screen .  The sound was also,pretty fabulous.  One itzy bitzy criticism.  Zachary Levis nervous laughter has expanded from just specific places to all over the place in his performance.  Just something I have noticed  has developed since the beginning of the run.  It's just a minor thing.  I still find him so endearing.  

"

I noticed that too. I also agree that I find him so charming. Question, has that cartwheel in his song She Loves Me always been there? I don't recall that from the performance I saw, but I figured he added it just for the Tony performance. 

Also, I find Gavin so vocally fun! Compared the cast recording, I loved the small touches he added to certain notes tonight. Maybe my ears were deceiving me. I'll watch again tomorrow. 

"

The cartwheel's always been there. I asked him about it at the stage door because I'd seen the show twice: once with the cartwheel and once without. He said it had been choreographed from rehearsals, but he had a hamstring injury and stopped doing it, so that he could rest before the Tony's and hopefully do it then. We know the rest

She Loves Me streaming  Jul 1 2016, 02:34:08 AM

SporkGoddess said: "Great GIF!  Is there one of Laura Benanti dropping the ice cream and then eating it?  I would use that in so many situations."

Me too. I'll try to find one, or do a screen capture when I rewatch the show tonight. I love that this mistake got caught on film! Ah, live theater. And it was totally in character for Amalia to eat the whole glob, too.

For Jane, like everyone else who'd seen the show in the theater, I was really hoping they'd catch her at that moment, and they did! This is why musicals that will be filmed live need dry runs - so the camera people know where to aim and the editors know which camera feed to broadcast

Also, here's hoping that SLM going to cinemas also means a DVD.

She Loves Me streaming  Jun 30 2016, 11:43:42 PM

GavestonPS said: "I was laughing at that Krakowski bit long before I figured out what the hell she was doing."

I feel like it's definitely a theme with Krakowski's characters! It's as if Ilona was written for her, really.

She Loves Me streaming  Jun 30 2016, 11:29:06 PM

Plus, it gave us this amazing moment, now beautifully preserved on film forever...

Significant Other on Broadway  Jun 30 2016, 10:58:06 PM

neonlightsxo said: ""Maybe a limited engagement from the very beginning? Gideon Glick and Lindsay Mendez would be able to sustain it for a bit."

As far as box office? You're kidding, right?
"

I am :)

No, really. What I meant to say was that I think they should do a strictly limited run. Three months at most. And that the Glick and Mendez's performances might be able to help the show's word of mouth. "The play was solid

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You