News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for thestatisticianandi

Member Name: thestatisticianandi
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Significant Other on Broadway
 Jul 22 2016, 07:46:20 PM

according to gideon glick's twitter: the booth, previews starting feb 16th! 

https://twitter.com/gidglick/status/756613272955195393

Color Purple Rush?
 Jul 18 2016, 12:36:53 PM

Double post please delete

Color Purple Rush?
 Jul 18 2016, 12:36:49 PM

FYI to those rushing this week: danielle brooks is out for both shows wednesday 7/20 and on thursday 7/21:

https://twitter.com/thedanieb/status/753395388837756929

Shows nominated for Tonys in all four acting categories
 May 7 2016, 10:12:39 PM

Those not mentioned above:

MUSICALS: Goodtime Charley (1975), Movin' Out (2003), Company (1971), Funny Girl (1964), Applause (1970), She Loves Me (1994), My One and Only (1983), Jerome Robbins' Broadway (1989), The Mystery of Edwin Drood (1986), Steel Pier (1997), Grand Hotel (1990), Passion (1994), Cabaret (1967), Promises, Promises (1969), Raisin (1974), Thoroughly Modern Millie (2002), Me and My Girl (1987), A Little Night Music (1973), Show Boat (1995), Damn&n

Musicals Set In Los Angeles
 Apr 19 2016, 10:55:45 PM

Xanadu!

WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
 Aug 5 2015, 09:24:30 PM

I attended the 1st preview and thought that the show had all the problems every show has after its 1st preview: it's too long, the 1st act is much stronger than the 2nd act (which felt a bit rushed), and some lines didn't work/were overly cliche. But there is a very strong foundation here and Jessie delivers an amazing, nuanced, and surprisingly humorous performance.

I think the score in the 1st act is immensely inspiring and creative (the choral trio "A Soft Pl

Kelli O'Hara out tonight?
 Jun 15 2015, 01:13:00 AM

I saw the show in May and noticed in the playbill that while Betsy's the standby, Ann Sanders (who is Asian-American) is the understudy. 

Although I am a big supporter of colorblind casting, I thought it was a little odd to cast an Asian-American person in a role where race is important to the story (unlike in, say, Next to Normal). Then I read an interview with Kelli in The Interval (http://the-interval.com/ints/ko/) where she states:

"I also read Bombay Anna [by Susan Morgan], which is a newer book about who the real Anna was; she was an absolute tour de force, badass. She was a woman who reinvented herself. She was not British. She was of mixed race, and she was a widow with no options. She grew up outside of India. Her mother was Indian and her father was a solider."

With this knowledge, casting an Asian-American woman such as Ann Sanders (not sure if she is mixed-race) seems to make a little more sense. I'd love to hear if Sanders ever gets to go on; I'm a big fan of hers. 

PS: On a similar note, when I saw the show Sam Poon was on for Prince Chulalongkorn. According to the Playbill, Poon also covers Louis Leonowens - I wonder if he goes on with Sanders? Seems unlikely that they would go to that trouble to put on a cover if Jake Lucas was available, but it would definitely be interesting to see an Asian Anna/Louis interacting with the King/Prince.

Splitting the vote
 Jun 7 2015, 06:15:38 PM

A couple of days ago, Broadway.com put out a video, "Predicting the 2015 Tony Award Races with the Broadway.com Editorial Staff," and the following comment stood out to me in particular about the race for Featured Actress in a Musical:

"There are three Fun Home actresses in this category. Emily Skeggs is the third. That could split the vote. I’m just going to pretend like I know how to do statistics, which I don’t. So if that splits the vote, I think Ruthie Ann Miles from the King and I has a really good shot."

This is something I've heard over and over about the race tonight here on BWW and beyond...and as someone who does know a little about statistics, I decided to look into the issue historically. I put together my thoughts on my blog that's focused on looking at theatre from a statistical standpoint: 

https://thestatisticianandi.wordpress.com

Do you guys think that the vote will be split tonight? 

Happy tony-watching!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You