News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DivaProf

Member Name: DivaProf
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

10 Favorite BROADWAY Performances of the Decade
 Dec 16 2019, 07:02:00 PM

I don’t post often, but love this thread!

My list:

1) Audra McDonald—Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar and Grill

2) Denzel Washington—Fences

3) Cynthia Erivo—The Color Purple

4) Audra McDonald—Porgy and Bess

5) Daveed Diggs-Hamilton

6) Kelli O’Hara—The King and I 

7) Laura Benanti—She Loves Me

8) Josh Gad—Book of Mormon

9) Viola Davis —Fences

10) Sahr Nga

If you could go back in time and see only one Broadway show, what would it be?
 Jun 16 2017, 03:09:31 PM

A Raisin in the Sun original cast, with Ruby Dee and Sidney Poitier

Dreamgirls, original cast

A Chorus Line, original cast

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
 Jan 5 2017, 04:31:22 PM

neonlightsxo said: "ljay889 said: "Mandy is an experienced and qualified singer and actress. If you have issues with certain aspects of her performance, take it up with the director. She wasn't just thrown on the stage and left to do whatever. I am sure you were too young to have seen her LIVE in Heights and Wicked, but she was perfectly cast and well directed in each show, and didn't receive the criticism that the Hamilton fanatics keep throwing at her. At the end o

My Broadway Binge Reviews Dec. 26-29, 2016
 Dec 30 2016, 05:11:35 AM

I also noticed that there weren't any dark-skinned women in the Broadway Hamilton cast on my most recent visit (11/07/16).  It was shortly after I'd read an interview with Viola Davis where she commented on how difficult it was for her to receive roles as a darker-skinned African-American woman.  The relatively lighter hue of the women (compared to the men and the OBC) in the current cast was noticeable (to me at least), and noteworthy.  

Dec 22 2016, 04:19:14 PM

Rumpelstiltskin said: "MyLife said: "I saw Judd as Angelica, and she was not great. I was disappointed in the whole performance. I would kill to see her as Eliza though. She comes off as too sweet and innocent for Angelica."

I was disappointed as well.  There was no spark to her performance.  I felt as if I were seeing one in a thousand YouTube High School Angelica-wannabes.  This combined with a similarly tepid performance from

Hamilton in Dutch/German
 Dec 4 2016, 07:55:05 PM

I also don't know that non-whites in the Netherlands would agree with some of these characterizations.  Race relations there differ from those in the US, but are by no means perfect.  There is an entire movement against "Zwarte Pete" ("Black Pete" in the Netherlands.  Just to present another perspective on these issues .

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
 Nov 7 2016, 07:07:58 PM

I agree with what MyLife wrote 100%.  I was at the matinee yesterday as well thanks to a post on this board a few moths ago .  I LOVED Michael Luwoye, but have only seen Lin (twice) and Joh Rua (once), in the role.  Michael Luwoye's Hamilton was phenomenal.  I thought Brandon Victor Dixon's Burr showed more complexity--arrogant at times, but also vulnerable--at least from my perspective.  Vocally he was amazing.  

I missed Daveed's Lafayette.  A lot, but that for me was the only weak link among the men.

For me, Christopher Jackson just brought **more** to Jefferson than I'd noticed in prior performances.  He moved me to tears and I actually gave him a quick standing ovation during the extended applause following his number (I sat down before it ended).

I never noticed how small the women's roles were before.  Very little about them stood out to me.  I thought Lexi was fine, but really missed the "snap, crackle and pop" that Renee brought to Angelica.  Also, visually they all looked fairly similar in coloring to me, which blurred some of the individuality that was so obvious when Renee and Phillipa were in the cast.  But just this week I've been reflecting on some of Viola Davis' comments about the lack of roles for darker skinned African-American women, so that may be why I noticed it.

Overall though, it was thrilling.  I left wanting to see it again!

Aug 9 2016, 01:58:06 PM

CarlosAlberto said: "Let me make myself clear. I am a big Brian Stokes Mitchell fan ever since his days on TRAPPER JOHN, MD, which most of you probably don't even know about or remember.

Stokes vocal chops not to mention his age are a mismatch for what any of the male roles in HAMILTON require.

Some shows/roles are not for all performers no matter how phenomenally talented they are. This is the case with Stokes and Hamilton. They are not going to cast a 60 year old man to play a role whose contemporaries are between the ages of 25-40. 

Stokes looks great for his age but let's be realistic he could not pass for 40. 

"

First post on this thread .  I love Brian Stokes Mitchell as well, but have to agree with this.  He just doesn't fit the "young, scrappy and hungry" mold of the other characters.  Even given the fact that Washington is meant to be a bit older and more polished than the others.  Also, and most importantly in my opinion, can Brian Stokes Mitchell rap???  

Audience Rewards - Points and Cash
 Jul 26 2016, 08:56:42 PM

I've called with Telecharge open in my browser and requested specific seats.  Both times I used the 10,000 points option.

Hamilton Performance Added! Tix Just released! Nov. 6th
 Jul 22 2016, 04:25:45 PM

Thank you!  I just bought a ticket to see it for the 4th time!

Prince Remembered at The Color Purple Tonight
 Apr 21 2016, 10:09:03 PM

I was there, in the front row!!  It was absolutely AMAZING.  

Audra McDonald HBO Lady Day
 Mar 22 2016, 06:40:41 AM

I was thrilled to see Audra on the cover of Essence!!  I bought it in the grocery store the other day!  

Audience Rewards redemption
 Mar 21 2016, 10:01:43 PM

I used 10,000 points to obtain a ticket to Fiddler, Center Orchestra row D.  I checked Telecharge first and then called Audience Rewards and requested that seat (they offered me another seat initially).

Encores 1776 Casting
 Mar 1 2016, 01:17:41 PM

CarlosAlberto said: "They should have started a trend and used a racially diverse cast. Can you imagine a latino George Washington?!?!? How cool would that be?

Oh wait . . . . laugh"

I thought they previously announced that they were planning t

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
 Jan 13 2016, 02:18:11 AM

Charley Kringas Inc said: "I guess the question is about deciding how to approach the integration of cultures, which is deeply messy and complex. Even if I don't disagree that maybe Morisseau should have realized this isn't exactly the hill to die on, I can certainly imagine the frustration of being in her position. Seeing a play that calls to my culture with an audience who is not of my culture and doesn't appreciate (or, potentially, even want) my culture

Award Winning Playwright Almost Slaps a Theatre Patron (and what that apparently says about our theatre)
 Jan 11 2016, 08:06:38 AM

broadwaybelter said: "It's amazing how not a single person sided with the playwright. Then again, this board and thread is comprised of almost entirely white people..."

I am actually not against the playwright and personally would have found the gum chewing comment objectionable as I've stated previously.  But I don't think it's useful to spend time on who was right or wrong because even when people observe these events themselves, many peopl

Can a white person be cast as Hamilton or Angelica?
 Jan 6 2016, 05:29:32 PM

HogansHero said: "DivaProf-I think you are missing half of what's going on here. This is not about casting opportunities, it is about story.These roles are written to be non-white for dramatic purpose, and what Miranda did was create roles that are these ethnicities. The same story is not being told when they are played by whites. As someone else said, if the audience is color blind they are not seeing the show intended."

I actually do get that part, and find that

Jan 6 2016, 12:15:38 AM

SFFrontRow said: "DivaProf said: "Lilly7 said: "Why do white people always complain when they're excluded from something? Can't you just be happy with the other 99.9% of things available to you?"

Exactly!

To Lily and DivaProf...

I find both of your responses kind of insulting.

Jan 5 2016, 07:40:45 PM

Lilly7 said: "Why do white people always complain when they're excluded from something? Can't you just be happy with the other 99.9% of things available to you?"

Exactly!

Is Javier out of Hamilton today?
 Dec 21 2015, 08:02:52 PM

I was a bit disappointed, but it was his first night.  I've seen Hamilton twice, both times with Lin.  For me, Jon didn't have the cockiness/confidence that the role demands.  I just didn't buy that his Hamilton was "scrappy and hungry," but he seemed earnest.   Jon is also physically much smaller than the other men, so felt overshadowed in more ways than one.  I thought it was just me, but the two women next to me though

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You