News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for kamicokrolock

Member Name: kamicokrolock
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

All female Japanese production of Chicago at Lincoln Center
 Jul 21 2016, 06:14:40 PM

There are no plans for the show to tour the US, this is just a special engagement for the festival. The Takarazuka Company does the occasional international tour but they have been reluctant to come to the US since their last engagement back in the early 90's. With the rise of the internet and greater accessibility to those of us outside of Japan the company has started focusing on their international audiences. They recently toured Taiwan (twice) and they have updated their website with

Prince of Broadway in Japan!
 Nov 18 2015, 07:00:44 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Also, and sorry if this has already been answered- why are they premiering it in Japan? Is Hal Prince particularly well-known there?"

That's where the money for the show came from, the Japanese investors, who had been investors from the start.  Basically, they wanted to see the show happen so they offered to fund the whole project (after the second bunch of producers left the project) if they premiered&n

Nov 16 2015, 10:24:59 PM

Interesting. I guess we'll have to watch and see how Allegiance does in the next few weeks. I still personally think the Simon is a more likely candidate if they do decide to go for this spring, since, as far as I can tell it's the only theater that is not booked (or has a current tenant) for spring '16. 

Nov 12 2015, 09:04:15 PM

Yes, definitely hurdles. I recall an audience member (English speaking audience member) mentioning on Tumbler that quite a few of the jokes (which they thought were really funny) fell flat during the show they were at. They felt strange being one of the few people in the audience laughing and assumed that the jokes were just loss in translation.&n

Nov 12 2015, 08:14:29 PM

EricMontreal22 said: "Thanks Kamiko!  Interesting that they decided to just let her sing Kiss of the Spiderwoman in Japanese (which seems to work best.)

"

You're welcome.

I think the decision to have Reon sing Spider Woman in Japanese was to make a portion of the show more accessible to the audiences in Japan. There has been a lot of positive feedback from the audience on social media, but, a lot of the fans have s

Nov 10 2015, 11:41:59 PM

I'm mostly posting this one for you Eric (since you and I seem like the only ones interested in this show)

A proper digest video was just uploaded to Umeda's Youtube channel. 

Oct 31 2015, 01:16:02 AM

Here ya go, something from the front page I guess we all missed. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Review-PRINCE-OF-BROADWAY-Conquers-Audiences-in-Tokyo-and-Beyond-20151030

Oct 30 2015, 06:37:46 PM

EricMontreal22 said: "Well, nice to have you back--and please do post her thoughts (you are planning on seeing it too at some point, aren't you?)"

I will.

Am I planing on seeing it? Well, no, but not because I don't want to. I don't really have the $$'s to fly to Japan and see it. Maybe, if It makes it to NY,  but that would be expensive as well (a 12 hour bus trip plus a ticket and a hotel room). But if I had the cash I'd

Oct 30 2015, 05:24:30 PM

EricMontreal22 said: "
I wish there was an article/review that went into more details as to how the whole piece comes together--how much of a narration arc is there, etc?"

Oct 29 2015, 10:55:53 PM

It seems like you and me are the only ones interested at the moment. If you're on Tumblr you can find stuff posted under the Prince of Broadway, Takarazuka, and Yuzuki Reon tags (It's mostly in Japanese but sometimes Prince of Broadway in Japan!
 Oct 29 2015, 05:51:02 PM

EricMontreal22 said: "Any reviews yet?  I was expecting to see something in one of the English language papers like The Japan Times by now...

"

I don't think we will. At least not like the ones you'd see for a show in NY. There have been a bunch of articles online about the show that have be

Oct 23 2015, 08:32:22 PM

EricMontreal22 said: "Just to be clear, I am a fan--though not as big of one as you are (I saw her live in a Takarazuka Rose of Versailles--I forget which version lol--and on video several times,) so I wasn't meaning to mock her.  But I didn't know how much background she had in English.  Diction aside, she *looks* and m

Oct 23 2015, 08:05:36 PM

EricMontreal22 said: "Yuzuki Reon was one of the top stars in Takarazuka history--I've seen some of her stuff there and she does really shine.  It's unfortunate that she makes Ken Watanabe's English diction sound like Rex Harrison, but...  I am sure she's a huge draw in Japan--I wouldn't suspect if this moves to N

Oct 23 2015, 04:37:02 PM

Sory for multiple posts this stuff just keeps coming in. 

Video from The invited dress rehearsal is starting to roll in. Since this is from a Japanese News outlet (Ran Ra Entertainment) catering to their Japanese audience its Yuzuki Reon centric (not that I mind personally, She's one of the reasons I'm interested in this show) but we do get to see a little more of the Damn Yankees and Follies set pieces.

Oct 23 2015, 07:03:36 AM

Photos from their final  invited dress rehearsal held early Friday here in case the editors want them for Friday AM headlines.

Found some more

Oct 23 2015, 06:24:44 AM

Yea, curtain went up at 6:30 (5:30 AM eastern ti

Oct 21 2015, 12:40:58 AM

I'm enjoying the designs as well. They are simple, but some of my favorite shows have relatively simple designs.

Oct 19 2015, 04:20:48 PM

They were all probably pretty jet lagged. They had their first rehearsal one day after landing there and Erin (one of their swings) tweeted that she could not sleep the night before and was up til 4 AM Japan time. Much of the cast was up late on social media the night before.

Oct 19 2015, 03:22:30 PM

Video footage from their first rehearsal in Tokyo and a message from Ramin on THIS page if anyone is interested. There is an article that goes with it, but it's in Japanese so......

Next for the Neil Simon
 Oct 10 2015, 09:45:31 PM

Call_me_jorge said:

I want to hear this theory"

Ok, but keep in mind this is just based on my own rambling thoughts.

Prince of Broadway

Why? In April Beowulf Boritt did an interview on here and  when asked  he said the show was locked into a specific preview period and opening night (which to me says that they have a venue lined up). After considering other factors, the Simon seemed like the most likely candidate. Plus, the Japanese media is pretty convinced it's happening, and there is something in the way the cast and creative team are talking about this show makes me think that they know something we don't. However, It seems like they are waiting to see how the show does in Japan before making any type of commitment, (this spring or otherwise). But, since we're getting later and later into the season without a new show announcement for the Simon  in the spring, It makes me more and more suspicious that it may be the venue they have in mind if they decide to go for it. 

I'm waiting to see if my hunch is spot on or way off. I should know in the next month or two.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You