News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Myra7

Member Name: Myra7
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Mercury Fur
 Aug 13 2015, 09:24:48 PM

BTW - I did get to the other discussion thread on this play but I'll comment on your reply to my original post. I "get" the reason for the Playbill distribution after the play, but the experience was so awful that I couldn't help thinking that the lack of intermission and Playbill had to do with keeping us - hostage - in the theater. Just an excruciating experience, but I stuck it out to see how it concluded. Glad I didn't pay much more.

MERCURY FUR at The New Group
 Aug 13 2015, 08:44:57 AM

I saw it last night and hated it. I'd been intirgued by an old review by Ben Brantley when he saw it in London, and that's why I gave up on a usual jazz night out to take advantage of a $4.50 ticket (mezz) and still feel I overpaid. There's no intermission for this two-plus hour play. I don't know if this is part of the script, but I suspect if there had been, many people (myself included) would not have returned. There were several walkouts. The Playbill was distributed when

AMAZING GRACE struggling on Broadway
 Aug 13 2015, 08:40:06 AM

I agree that the cast was excellent. I liked the sets, too. The script was mediocre and the story line trite and predictable. I felt very sorry for the cast that they had to endure this show. I think the story itself is interesting but could and should have been told differently... like, from Oliver's POV. Now THAT would be novel!

Mercury Fur
 Aug 13 2015, 08:33:26 AM

I'm having a hard time getting access to the discussion thread for this terrible show that I saw last night. I don't understand its appeal. It occurred to me that one reason this 2-plus hour show has no intermission is that a lot of people wouldn't return to the second half of the show. PLUS - the Playbills were handed out as we left. The whole show left me exhausted and annoyed - except for the set, which I thought was fascinating and very effective. Fortunately, I had a $4.50 ti

AMAZING GRACE Previews
 Jun 28 2015, 09:21:09 AM

I, too, found the comment "Honeymoon in Vegas 2.0" a bit odd. I saw it twice and thought it was great in many ways - terrific acting, lots of fun, great songs and music, some hilarious moments, great staging, wonderful music, with a big band on stage.

And, yes, it got well-deserved good reviews.

Where it lots out, in my opinion, is that the story itself is a little too-light, a little too predictable and a little too vanilla. Personally, I even found the name "Betsy" to

AMAZING GRACE--Rush?
 Jun 28 2015, 09:16:15 AM

I would say don't rush. I saw it in previews and it's not great. My guess is that the play will show up on the very low-cost ticket outlets like THeatermania Gold Club fairly soon. 

Curious Incident... Christopher schedule for this week
 Jun 28 2015, 09:14:34 AM

I've seen it with both actors and think both were excellent. I was kind of sorry that Alex Sharp didn't acknowledge Taylor Trensch, the actor who plays Christopher twice a week, when he got the Tony. 

AMAZING GRACE Previews
 Jun 27 2015, 04:57:01 PM

I saw the show last night (2nd preview). I'm a fan of Chuck Cooper's (Finian's Rainbow; Cabaret at 54 Below) and had high hopes. Alas, I couldn't help thinking of another recent disappointment, Dr. Zhivago, with beautiful sets (Amazing Grace has a terrific set and great special effects) and teeming talent, but a script that's hard to follow, songs that are unmemorable, and some rather weird scenes and dynamics. Also, it was very long, but I will assume that by opening night July 16, the show

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You