News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for NYJoe

Member Name: NYJoe
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

best songs in come from away?
 Jun 15 2017, 03:40:12 PM

But then the "rule" wouldn't apply to an interview transcript put to music, as then it wouldn't be verbatim. To me that's the genius of that particular song. It's almost word-for-word, apparently.

best songs in come from away?
 Jun 15 2017, 03:30:12 PM

GeorgeandDot said: "It's an unwritten rule that writers of all mediums are strongly suggested to avoid the overuse of the word suddenly.  If you use the word suddenly over and over again, there is probably a better and more focused way to write what you are trying to say.

Everything that I have said is just my opinion of the show.  I should able to express my opinion on here free of confrontation.  It has already been established that you don't agree

Bitter Losers Tony Thread
 Jun 12 2017, 09:29:03 AM

No, DEH won't age well. But COMET and CFA will be around for a long, long time....

Questions about attending the Tony Awards
 Jun 10 2017, 01:27:24 PM

Not to mention that 5th Ave is closed till 6pm due to the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

Theatre Talk Tony Predictions
 Jun 9 2017, 09:30:25 PM

This episode was taped a month ago. The race has evolved.

CFA now the favorite for Tony?
 Jun 6 2017, 09:02:33 PM

Re: Islam. Look of course we will never agree here but I'm not suggesting he apologise merely acknowledge the atrocities of the religion generally and call for peace. To say that the way Islam is practiced throughout the world today is a 'perversion' is rather inaccurate when the extremists are probably carrying out the actions as described in their holy texts more accurately/literally than the non-extremists. CFA had an opportunity but took the easy way out.

Nonse

CFA now the favorite for Tony?
 Jun 5 2017, 10:53:54 PM

But worse than all that is the endless self-congratulating. I found it unbearable.

... it does sometimes straddle into self-congratulatory, overly sentimental or unrealistically idealised visions 

I find this sort of remark odd, especially since much of the show is verbatim, with numerous participants confirming the veracity of the story, the sentiment, and the actual language used (word for word, in the case of some characters). It doesn't seem to me "self-congratulatory" at all.  It's a true story, and while spending time on this board might suggest otherwise, many people are actually...well...good.  See the lovely story on this board about the plane people who saw it just last week, how they got their tickets, and who said the show was entirely accurate.  

In fact, actual science suggests that humans are wired to cooperate. That's why the show is resonating so far and wide. 

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/21/the_science_of_selfishness_humans_arent_actually_hard_wired_to_be_jerks/

Tonys 2017: Will/Should Win
 May 3 2017, 06:24:50 AM

And for better or worse, Come From Away is consistently labeled as something like "the feel-good musical to see in 2017 because Trump is president and everyone needs a reminder that regular people are good." I haven't seen the musical, so I don't have any opinion, but that seems like a tricky line to walk during a Tony campaign.  

Maybe the show's promoters can pull it off, but doesn't that leave it vulnerable to arguments that it w

Great comet or Come From Away
 Mar 29 2017, 11:37:37 AM

I do think COMET is unique, but I think COME FROM AWAY is breathtaking.  If you are a Groban fan, the choice may be easy, but for me, COME FROM AWAY has held me since I saw it two weeks ago.  Like another poster, COMET was cool, but sort of forgettable. 

If you want to feel, I would see COME FROM AWAY.

Interesting NPR report on this crowded Broadway season
 Mar 27 2017, 12:55:41 PM

I would advise listening to the report; the written version is extremely edited and truncated.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You