News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bct14972

bct14972 Profile Photo
Member Name: bct14972
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

NYMF 2017
 Jul 14 2017, 11:02:13 PM

bwayrose7 said: "Honest question here, for those of you familiar with the festival. Do you think it's a worthwhile endeavor for early-career writers/composers? Sometimes I get the vibe that it's kind of seen as a playground for "weirder" shows or poorly written shows, but some of the stuff that started there ends up making it. I'm selfishly asking if it's something my partner and I should consider submitting to. Anyone in the know have thoughts?

Linda Eder @ 54Below
 Jun 19 2017, 01:47:11 AM

Her "Man of La Mancha" is, sacrilegious as it may sound, the definitive version for me. It's insanity.

I've seen her in concert twice, both at the Tilles Center. The second time around, she had to stop the show halfway through due to vocal damage, but she was such a pro about it and had some members of the audience sing along to some of the songs in her place. I was just disappointed we missed "Man of La Mancha" that time around!

&n

What is your favorite Tony Award winning performance of all time?
 Jun 15 2017, 04:52:24 PM

1) Katie Finneran; Promises, Promises

2) Laurie Metcalf; A Doll's House Part 2

3) Norbert Leo Butz; Catch Me If You Can

SUNSET BOULEVARD
 May 25 2017, 02:52:09 AM

I was at the matinee today and found him quite good! Hadn't seen the show yet though, so had nothing to compare him to.

It should also be noted--especially considering the Patti/Glenn talk in this thread, that at today's matinee Mrs. Close ended up pulling a Mrs. Lupone. Surprised more people aren't talking about it because it was quite the show.

After the first verse of "With One Look", Close broke character and went to her normal speaking voice, saying to

The Last Great Overture
 May 16 2017, 11:58:23 AM

The overture for "Honeymoon in Vegas" was the best thing about that show.

The View Upstairs?
 May 15 2017, 03:06:31 AM

Was there last night as well! We were moved to the onstage seating and had a great time. While this is a clear cut case of a gimmick elevating the material, there was some wonderful stuff in here--notably Graham's performance and some of the songs. The plot is ridiculous, but its very well intentioned, and the composer, while not a strong librettist, has a bright future ahead of him as a composer/lyricist.

Indeed, there were three understudies on tonight, and I have t

Why is the
 May 7 2017, 11:36:13 AM

Revues have also heavily influenced the structures of Song Cycles, which have become a popular and cheap calling card for new musical theatre writers.

Did The Light In The Piazza Have A Chance At Winning Best Musical?
 May 7 2017, 05:17:04 AM

I maintain that this was one of the best years for the "Best Musical" award. "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" is one of my all time favorite shows and scores, and I would actually assume that it does similar numbers to High School/regional productions of Light or Spamalot, with Spelling Bee obviously outweighing all of them. Two years ago, my High School did Dirty Rotten and it is still talked about as a favorite.

There's some impeccable comedy lyric writing in it--I&#

2017 Best Score
 Apr 25 2017, 04:20:17 PM

I haven't seen War Paint yet, but I really think that the score nominees will be the same as the Best Musical nominees; DEH, GC, CFA and Groundhog Day. Especially after Brantley's review, I think Groundhog Day is the most likely final slot for both. 

I agree that DEH will probably win, even though GC deserves it, but Pasek and Paul are a hot commodity right now, and the committee may want to get them one step closer to their EGOTs; it only spells more visibility for the Br

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
 Mar 10 2017, 11:45:37 AM

Also saw this last night, and can echo that it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen onstage. Much like "Oh, Hello" earlier this year, or even "Disaster", it doesn't ask anything from the audience other than laughter--and last night's crowd complied with that request exceedingly well. Here's hoping the critics do the same--we need more unbridled joy on Broadway!

And indeed--the crowd was well stocked with celebs last night! My pa

Which Shows Will Close Before/Right After the Tony Awards?
 Feb 3 2017, 01:05:29 AM

I'm sure some roducers are bringing in some of these shows to legitimize the properties for licensing purposes. Not all of them anticipate making money, but for shows like 'Bandstand', which as we know has been kicking round for a few years, I'm sure the producers at least see commercial appeal for the regional/community theatre market. 

Jon Rua's Webseries
 Jan 29 2017, 11:55:29 PM

Anyone watch this yet?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/New-Musical-Comedy-Web-Series-RACHEL-UNRAVELED-to-Feature-Jon-Rua-and-More-20170126

Your Theatre Related Gifts!
 Dec 26 2016, 08:24:16 PM

Interesting set of theatre related gifts this year!

Bush is Bad, Lazarus and Naturlich Blond on CD and vinyl releases of the Hairspray OBC, the Hairspray Soundtrack and the On Your Feet OBC.

Not to mention the Anna Nicole Smith Opera on DVD!

Favorite Broadway Overtures!
 Dec 8 2016, 06:32:08 PM

City of Angels' prologue is also thrilling if we can count it as an overture!

PRINCE OF BROADWAY Set for Summer 2017 Bow at the Friedman Theatre
 Dec 7 2016, 12:25:01 PM

Exciting! The theatre seems kind of small for what the project is being billed as, but maybe I'm wrong. I've been surprised by what they do with the space before.

Favorite Broadway Overtures!
 Dec 7 2016, 12:45:23 AM

1. Merrily We Roll Along

2. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

3. Candide

4. The Full Monty

5. Sweet Charity

6. Gypsy

7. Amour

8. She Loves Me

9. Nine

10. Guys And Dolls

Urinetown is also great for the music that it is sending up, especially now that I've understood that parody in a richer way in recent years.

Favorite Marquees/ Facades
 Nov 23 2016, 01:54:56 AM

Was just looking at some pictures of the theatres over at the West End and am in awe of how extravagant some of their facades are. We tend to not have as detailed and disney-esque marquees in New York, but was wondering which marquee treatments have stood out to you as favorites? Some more extravagant ones that came to mind are attached here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271201208787453290/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271201208787453287/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271201208783229765/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271201208783229705/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/271201208783229699/

Little Miss Sunshine musical at Second Stage
 Nov 4 2016, 04:59:07 PM

It also appears that a live recording of the score is being used for perusal on the MTI website.

Little Miss Sunshine musical at Second Stage
 Nov 4 2016, 04:33:39 PM

I saw it at Second Stage and adored it. Thought it was pure Finn magic. The score, upon further listening, is really quite strong, with the opening number and "How Have I Been?" being major highlights, but truly, there isn't a weak song in the show.

Performances were very hit or miss, but the young girl who played Olive was sensational.

The set was also one of the best I've ever seen (and certainly the best ever at Second Stage). 

Best improvisation moments
 Oct 26 2016, 12:59:33 AM

Not so much an improvisation moment, but one of my favorite moments nonetheless:

We saw the La Cage revival when Harvey Fierstein stepped in. During "The Best Of Times", he sits on the lip of the stage, holds the hand of a patron at one of the front row tables and sings to them for the first verse. At my particular performance, he held the hand of a male senior citizen (who, after talking to him after the show, was, I believe in his 90s). Light laughter through

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You