News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for nyc88

Member Name: nyc88
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
 Nov 27 2017, 05:18:27 PM

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Time to revive TOMMY ?
 Oct 31 2017, 12:50:34 PM

I'll add a +1 to loving the sound of the Broadway production. I would not judge the live orchestrations by the cast album production. I was 30, a big Who fan, and had seen them at least a few times live by that point. I was very concerned that the sound would lack any punch and be way to quiet. Was blown away by how great it sounded.

Fun fact. When the show opened, the E Street Band was on hiatus. Max Weinberg auditioned to be the show's drummer. He became the second substitute

First Musical you ever saw?
 Oct 10 2016, 11:34:23 AM

Coco in 1970.  I went with my mom at age 6 or 7.  Only think I remember (assuming it is accurate) was there was a long staircase and she walked down it in white.  When I went to look up the date, I learned that it starred Katherine Hepburn, Andre Previn wrote the music, and Alan J Lerner wrote the book and lyrics. Michael Bennett choreographed and Harold Wheeler did the dance arrangements. Lots of talent.

Lin-Manuel's departure date from HAMILTON??
 Jun 2 2016, 03:22:11 PM

I guess my bad. It seemed that the combination of the Seller quote and Lin-Manuel's comments pointed to July 9. But, his one year comment could have implied a date a few days later in July. To me the actual day didn't seem crucial, but I certainly see why to some even a one day difference is very crucial. 

Jun 2 2016, 02:56:38 PM

The Hollywood Reporter didn't report anything Lin-Manuel didn't say himself. Read the Rilling Stone article. It's toward the end. He made it very clear he's leaving after a year. 

Jun 2 2016, 08:09:16 AM

Here is a link to Lin-Manuel's interview in Rolling Stone.  I'd say he is leaving when his contract is up.  He says he left In the Heights after a year, and that the show was as joyous as anything he's done, but he needed time to write.  Can read it and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/hamilton-creator-lin-manuel-miranda-the-rolling-stone-interview-20160601

Shows nominated for Tonys in all four acting categories
 May 7 2016, 08:34:44 PM

Rent 

Fun Home Contracts
 Feb 27 2016, 09:17:39 AM

Great temporary replacement for Judy Kuhn, but we may be burying the lede a bit. If the contracts are up in March/April as has been assumed, this means Judy Kuhn has extended her contract.

I also heard an interview with Michael Cerveris on Julie James's show recently where he stated that the cast felt there was still a lot to explore in these characters. My thought was that he probably was going to extend his contract. We will see. 

The Secret Garden 2016 Concert Presentation
 Feb 23 2016, 07:56:21 PM

"You were either sitting in a better spot acoustically or just have way better hearing / deciphering skills than me and some other people. The sound is all muffled from third tier partial view seating. So imagine if you are only able to catch half the words (or none of the words) being said. My friend was able to understand less than I could. There are many, many Yelp/Tripadvisor reviews slamming the inferior acoustics of the Avery Fisher Hall / David Geffen Hall if you are sitting b

Feb 23 2016, 12:59:55 PM

LizzieCurry said: "You got it! You figured out Rose, Albert, the Ayah, and Fakir too, right?"

Ok, I'll bite lol. Rose and Albert were Mary's parents. Ayah was the women who took care of Mary in India. Fakir seemed mystical, though not sure of his exact relationship to Mary in India. 

Again, please know I understand that a concert like this is hard to follow.  I meant no offense with my synopsis. 

Feb 23 2016, 11:22:12 AM

^^^ Agree with this. As I said before, it is all very subjective. Put synopsis in to see if I just missed the boat, which is certainly possible. 

Feb 23 2016, 11:02:08 AM

JBroadway said: "LizzieCurry said: "the concert was basically made for people who already knew it. And she's right; they didn't bother to explain anything."

How so? Did they only perform the songs and not the scenes? I seem to recall in Parade they performed the full thing, or if not the full thing, enough of the book to set up the songs."

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. Again, I knew nothing about the show, but this

Feb 23 2016, 10:17:08 AM

I knew nothing about the story, but I found it easy to follow. Thought they did a great job getting the facts out. Just shows this is all subjective.

Also, thought the performances were great. Really happy I went. 

BLACKBIRD Previews
 Feb 21 2016, 06:23:53 AM

Saw this last night. Michelle Willisms appeared to be wiping away tears during the curtain call. It truly amazes me that actors can perform a show like this 8 times a week.

Like many others, I thought it was very well done, brilliantly acted and definitely worth seeing.  But, not sure I would say I loved the show. Difficult material. 

Mockingbird
 Feb 10 2016, 05:06:38 PM

icecreambenjamin said: "I'm ridiculously excited for this!

McConaughey would be great as would Benedict Cumberbatch.

Sydney Lucas is a tad too old.  They will probably have to cast older than 6, but Sydney looks more than double the character's age.

"

Forgot how young Scout is. 

Mockingbird
 Feb 10 2016, 02:51:56 PM

Sydney Lucas would make an excellent Scout.

Benjamin Schrader: Stage Door Supper Club Sirius XM On Broadway
 Jan 4 2016, 09:46:39 AM

gooftroop said: "Ah, I had a feeling this would happen once I heard the broadcast.  I am the kid that used the term.  Arbender Robinson.  Indeed probably not the best choice of words.   I just wanted to express my love of the audition process, my need to always audition for any and every project that interests me.  that process seems to work for me and unlike many people that find the audition process to be stressful, I instead find such joy and pleasure

Benjamin Schrader: Stage Door Supper Club Sirius XM On Broadway
 Jan 3 2016, 06:00:15 AM

Since you did not say what you thought he meant by the term, it's hard to know at what you are aghast. I heard the interview, and he was talking about always auditioning even if he was currently employed long term. I took it to mean he was sort of an audition addict, which would have been a better term to use. 

Nov 26 2015, 08:54:28 AM

Lincoln center production No longer listed as "do not work."  Maybe they can complete the cast now. 

Nov 18 2015, 08:53:33 PM

FYI, the do not work notice for the Geffen Hall production now says contract pending. http://www.actorsequity.org/newsmedia/TakeAction/DoNotWork.4As.asp

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You