News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for IlanaKeller

Member Name: IlanaKeller
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

COMPANY Returning December 20th, OPENING JANUARY 9th 2022  May 10 2021, 01:40:24 PM

I chatted with Bobby Conte Thornton a few weeks ago, and this is what he had to say about "Company."

""Company" on Broadway was just about to be frozen when the pandemic struck, Thornton said.

"We were feeling really secure in the work we had created over those six weeks of rehearsals, and a couple of weeks of teching and the week or so we had done previews. But you can't just replicate and re-create what was done before," he said. "We're all going to be vastly different individuals and human beings coming back."

While he says the universal truths of "Company" will always stay the same, "what we all bring to that world I think is going to be hopefully far more enlightened and self-aware. I'm just excited for us all to be in the space to explore those ideas together and make whatever this new version of 'Company' will be.""

Here's the link if any interest - also includes some words with Andre De Shields about "Hadestown" and Jackie Burns about an upcoming project.

https://www.app.com/story/entertainment/theater/2021/04/29/andre-de-shields-jackie-burns-bobby-conte-thornton-talk-george-street-gala/7391444002/

What if Broadway shows went on with audiences limited to 250?  Mar 12 2020, 06:50:27 PM

TangerineDream said: "What if Broadway shows went on with audiences limited to 250?"

Financial considerations aside (which obviously is not an aside, as well), why would you want to continue to put actors, crew, FOH and everyone else more at risk at a time when risk mitigation and slowing the spread of disease is the goal of the measures being taken?

Kids Night on Broadway  Dec 5 2018, 06:38:10 PM

If anyone's interested - tickets are on sale tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 6. Shows will be announced tomorrow AM. 

Kids Night On Broadway tickets on sale Dec. 6

Patti LuPone, Brian Stokes Mitchell morph into cartoon vampires  Nov 20 2018, 11:47:18 AM

For real. Check out a behind-the-scenes video of them filming Disney Junior's "Vampirina," including them gushing over working with each other (aww!) and Mr. Mitchell singing a new song for the show!

Exclusive: See Broadway stars Patti LuPone, Brian Stokes Mitchell get animated in 'Vampirina'

Ruben  Oct 18 2018, 04:26:54 PM

Sondheimite said: "I'd rather just give money to disabled children then sit through this and I think you'll find most people will feel the same way."

Then go for it! Lots of great organizations out there (including the National Inclusion Project) that would do wonderful things with a donation! Let us know which one you choose!

Ruben  Oct 18 2018, 03:55:49 PM

Sondheimite said: "Don't buy a ticket to this, just wait until they're desperately handing out comps.

Who puts up the money for things like this to happen and why do they need a tax write off that badly?
"

Excellent idea, considering the show is raising money to help disabled children... siiiigh. 

"The duo also aims to give back with tickets benefiting the National Inclusion Project, the leading voice for the inclu

Darren Criss on Broadway  Oct 7 2018, 05:03:14 PM

With Elsie Fest today, I chatted with Darren Criss about a bunch of fun stuff, including what he'd like in a Broadway return - he says he'd love to WRITE a musical and that he's always surprised to be associated with musicals and not straight plays.

If you care to check it out, he had some really interesting insights:

Darren Criss: Best is yet to come for Broadway, Elsie Fest and more

waitress/beautiful and kinky boots will all announce January closings.  Sep 16 2018, 08:46:15 PM

Is "Waitress/Beautiful" like "Frost/Nixon"?

Sounds like it could have potential! 

BroadwayCon  Sep 11 2018, 08:23:09 PM

You should be good -- I think if they were in danger of selling out soon or anything, they also would send out reminders/alerts. Hope you and your daughter have a blast!

BroadwayCon  Sep 11 2018, 07:49:23 PM

I would think it's unlikely based on the past - but this year is in a different venue than the past two, and the last time it was here it was the first year of the convention, so not a great indicator of what now may be like.

In short, since you have solid plans to come, I would buy soon just so it's not a concern.

Randy Rainbow on Broadway?  Sep 7 2018, 12:47:56 PM

I chatted with Randy Rainbow ahead of his U.S. tour. 

We talked about crafting his viral videos, his (surprising?) lack of haters and bringing his show to the stage (he'll have a full band behind him on tour).

On hitting a Broadway stage, he says: 

"That's my roots and my first love is always musical theater. If this brought me to a Broadway stage, that would be beyond a dream come true. We are working on it and I would love to take over a role or originate something, that would be amazing. Also, I have plans and dreams to take the show that I am doing now and flesh it out a little bit more and make it a more full-scale production, so who knows. It would be nice to have a run in New York with my own original piece."

Would you be on board?

Randy Rainbow: I'm surprised by how much hate mail I don't get

Audience member waves a Trump flag during FROZEN  Sep 6 2018, 06:48:15 PM

BalconyClub said: "I thought we weren't supposed to tape curtain calls unless approved by the production."

FWIW, "Frozen" welcomes photos (and by extension, I would assume video, not sure on the exact wording) during curtain call. It is listed on an insert in the Playbill they include for every performance (it also has the info on the show being shown on monitors in the lobby for restless kids, other rules, etc.).

i need to find this song  Aug 26 2018, 08:35:17 PM

abbyhand5309 said: "ok i’m trying to find this song i heard at thescon. it has something to do with a prom queen and samantha and she kills people and they call her a bitch and she screams at the end of the song. please help me!!!!"

Not an exact match to what you describe, but something from "Carrie" possibly?  Where did you hear it?

I've seen Frozen eight times. Here's why ... and why you shouldn't judge me  Aug 26 2018, 08:00:23 PM

bk said: "In all of that, I have never felt the need to go public with these things and ask for validation or whatever is at play here. That's what I never understand, this need to put everything in public, on social media. How, I wonder, did any of us live through the dark ages pre the popularization of social media, which has really only been since these types of discussion boards first and then stuff like MySpace and then of course Facebook, Twitter, and all that other bushwa.

I've seen Frozen eight times. Here's why ... and why you shouldn't judge me  Aug 21 2018, 08:11:09 PM

dramamama611 said: "Of course you should see whatever show you want but here's the real question: why should you allow others to make you feel poorly over your life choices? If I had friends that made me feel like crap (or even co-workers) about an innocuous choice I made, I'm pretty sure I'd just stay clear of them."

As an adult, yes, I have some measure of control about who I'm around, as well as the capability to attempt to minimize hurtful comment

I've seen Frozen eight times. Here's why ... and why you shouldn't judge me  Aug 21 2018, 11:22:14 AM

When people ask WHY I'm going to see "Frozen" on Broadway AGAIN, I give them an answer. But it's not the full truth.

Here's the real reason - and why you should never judge anyone for the things they love.

I've seen Frozen on Broadway 8 times. Here's why ... and why you shouldn't judge me

I've prepared for your responses ... I think.

But in all honesty, I just hope that maybe this will provide some food for thought, whether you agree or not. A lot of (especially young) people can feel judged for the shows or things that they love, and when that love gets attacked, it's easy to think you're only commenting on the merit of the piece or the song or the movie or the person's tastes, but it can go a bit deeper than that. I wanted to throw my story out there as an example. Just something to keep in mind.

GETTIN' THE BAND BACK TOGETHER Previews  Aug 9 2018, 10:30:15 AM

Chatted with Mr. Davenport and John Rando about how the show came together, how it found its setting and more:

Gettin' The Band Back Together' springs Broadway tale from Bon Jovi's hometown

Lemme know your thoughts. 

Be More Chill Off-Broadway  Aug 1 2018, 05:26:27 PM

Sarah329 said: "Has anyone won the lottery yet? Also, has the stagedoor still been as hectic as it was at the first preview?"

Stagedoor (and audience behavior) were fine on Saturday night. I was standing down at the end, so it's possible it was a little more crazy closer to the theater door, but some folks started down on the far end as well. No one was screaming/pushing that I know of. 

Was Betty Buckley banned from Broadway?  Jul 8 2018, 06:46:53 PM

What happened? According to her, Sept. 11. 

This is from an interview I did with her in 2016:

"After 9/11, I think the realization was the truth is that none of us know on any given day how much time we have left, and it’s important to live your life as fully as you hope to do while you’re here," Buckley said.

"Horses were always very important to me as a child and I had this dream to own them and ride them when I was older. I wanted to be in show business to be successful to have these horses."

Somewhere along the line, life and career got in the way.

"I just was always busy working and studying and working and studying and practicing and practicing and practicing and working and studying and practicing and I just didn’t carve out the time to do it," she said. "And then after 9/11, I just became obsessed with fulfilling that dream. And it’s been a beautiful, beautiful life."

Here's the full interview, if anyone is interested:

Betty Buckley: Never too late to chase your dreams

CHICAGO - Staging?  Jul 8 2018, 06:39:11 PM

Impossible2 said: "It was exactly the same as it was when I'd seen it 15 years before."

Out of curiosity, what were you expecting? Why would the same production 22 years into its run be vastly different than it was seven years into its run? Would you go see, say, "Phantom" and be disappointed that it is essentially the same as it was 10 years ago? 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You