News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mscarlyon

mscarlyon Profile Photo
Member Name: mscarlyon
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The NEW Night Music at The Kerr Thread
 Jul 30 2009, 07:47:52 PM
I'm not uninamimously supporting Hannah Waddingham for Desiree, just that the logic is indisputable that whoever plays it *can* be 40, and that this is believable and as intended in the London production.
 Jul 30 2009, 07:26:32 PM
I think judging it on a photograph is quite simply not acceptable or appropriate! If anyone has *seen* her play this role and still thinks she is playing "35", speak now. I think she is believably 40, hence my previous posts.
 Jul 30 2009, 06:42:34 PM
Age 40 is where Trevor Nunn's places his Desiree in London. Unless you have seen Hannah Waddingham's performance and feel it is not so (and I believe it is a performance that is very believably 40), there is no reason to place it at "35". But it is very clearly not "late 40s" or "50" and I cover this in my earlier post.
 Jul 30 2009, 06:08:45 PM
I think it's a little naive to suggest that a modern audience can't *relate* to an early 20th century European drama (read Scandinavian, and thus Ibsen etc), and to accommodate to a woman of 40 at the time of "A Little Night Music". Many will easily sympathise with Desiree's situation and certainly not all of today's 40 year olds have recently-created families.

As far as I am aware, all Fredrik says in Act 2 is that he failed to sit through most of her performances during their time tog

Jul 30 2009, 05:06:15 PM
There are numerous indications within the book that support the choice of a 40 year old Desiree. Anne describes her as "ravishingly beautiful", a comment that could only have occurred to a girl of 18 as recognition of a true sexual rival. You could argue that a woman of 50, however beautiful, could never seem a rival to a teenager.

Desiree has the supreme confidence of a woman still in her physical prime to reveal her naked body to Fredrik, the love of her life, within minutes of their

Jul 30 2009, 03:23:12 PM
best12bars, I appreciate that you are not a fan of Trevor Nunn, but have you actually seen the London production? It doesn't seem fair to make such harsh judgements upon it, and its director, if you are basing your opinions just on hearsay and what have mostly been good reviews. Many, many people have found it an exquisite interpretation of a masterpiece, Stephen Sondheim included.

If you have seen it, fair enough. I'd be much more interested in hearing your views about the production,

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You