News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Profile Photo
Member Name: SoonerOrLater
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Which show have you seen the most number of times?
 May 28 2013, 08:39:08 AM
I saw 'The Boy From Oz' 9 times (I was young, I judge me too)

I've seen Avenue Q 6 times (in London and UK Tour) and The Producers and Wicked 5 times each (combination of seeing Broadway London and Tours, repeat viewings of these 3 weren't entirely intentional to that number!)

Rent I've seen 6 times (NY, Tour, London) and Angels in America (both parts) 4 times (those are intentional I'm writing my PhD on them)

West End Theatre Discounts
 May 6 2013, 06:28:36 AM
A great index of theatre discounts and handy information on theatre seating and show times at
Theatremonkey.com

If in Leicester Square looking for discount tickets be sure to only use the TKTS booth (signs very clear!) and none of the other booths as these are mainly rip offs!

TVs on stage?
 Feb 22 2013, 09:15:10 AM
"Treats" in it's run in the WE at least had a TV, if memory serves it was also relaying what was live on tv rather than a recording if that makes a difference.

The Wooster Group's Hamlet (as mentioned above) is also really interesting for the way they used replaying the performances.

one Annie vs. four Matildas?
 Jan 25 2013, 05:10:35 AM
I think it was a factor with not needing standbys AND having enough to cover the role. So if child labour laws here meant they needed 3 they've stuck with 4 just to always be covered and cut the work of needing the standbys (as there's always one of the regulars in the building on standby)

I haven't seen the show so can't comment on how demanding it is, but I think it is also an age factor, them being younger than the Billy's or Annies.

When did Broadway shows became tourist attractions?
 Oct 26 2012, 05:08:10 AM
I'd agree (and not just because I'm British) that the 'British invasion' had a lot to do with it. The 'mega musicals' of Andrew Lloyd Webber are accessible to non-English speakers and also don't require a deep understanding of plot to follow. Again many had break away pop hits that people beyond the theatre going community would know.

These weren't the first but they certainly started a resurgence in tourism for theatre, and as stated Disney gave it another boost.

A Man of No Importance - Thoughts
 Oct 9 2012, 09:11:10 AM
I should add-totally agree with Mallardo's comments-in production it was very powerful but had I simply heard it first I might not have been much of a fan. I've listened to the recording but not extensively or for a while in fact. But still worth investigating I think.
 Oct 8 2012, 12:19:08 PM
I saw it when it was in London and really enjoyed it-interesting and entertaining. So worth a listen/read I think.
 Oct 8 2012, 12:19:08 PM
I saw it when it was in London and really enjoyed it-interesting and entertaining. So worth a listen/read I think.
Matilda is Terrible
 Sep 25 2012, 02:33:57 PM
As highlighted in my second post I was being sarcastic...never mind.
Matilda is Terrible
 Sep 25 2012, 09:35:10 AM
Ah apologies for those sarcastic comments then. Not for the others though
Matilda is Terrible
 Sep 25 2012, 09:07:14 AM
I never normally rise to the bait over here but...

Millions of readers over the years and teachers reading the book to primary school children must be wrong then.

Also the critics here in London and the theatre goers have obviously been deluded about what they were watching.

In all seriousness, Matilda is the ultimate 'misfit' story with some dark humour (and a bit of magic!) thrown in. I understand if you are American (assuming sorry) that perhaps the tone, humour o

Do the British like American Actors?
 Jul 15 2012, 02:50:45 PM
I don't know why British actors have an obsession with cracking America. And talking of Tennant he's narrating a documentary on Sherk on my tv as I type. Oh dear (and I'm a massive Tennant fan!)

Cumberbatch on the other hand is seemingly cracking American slowly and steadily almost by default than design!

American sitcoms and their actors are a well oiled machine that I have great respect for, we just do our sitcoms slightly differently. And in some cases have stellar 'theatre'

Jul 15 2012, 11:30:14 AM
Wynbish-thank you! I adore them too (particularly Cumberbatch!) currently writing a conference paper on Frankenstein too.

On a related note, we look down on British actors who decamp to the US for TV shows. Jonny Lee Miller I'm looking at you.....

We also frequently look down on our own actors. It's practically a National sport.

Jul 15 2012, 10:24:49 AM
We find them very tasty with tomato sauce. (that's ketchup to you lot)

I'll attempt a serious actor: yes if they've proven their ability just like any of our home-grown talent. London has embraced Kevin Spacey (some more firmly than others, but that's another story) for his work at the Old Vic. Other American actors get rave-reviews in theatre, and several productions have 'imported' cast and all to great success.

We might not give the same accolades to a soap or sitcom actor

RENT Review
 Jul 25 2011, 03:49:12 AM
Great to hear some thoughts, how was the staging/direction compared to the original production?

Just think yourselves lucky you didn't get 'Rent Remixed' like we did in the UK I still shudder at the memory....

Arcadia
 May 26 2011, 07:02:43 AM
Ah the Tortoise! The National Theatre in the UK features the Tortoise from Arcadia on it's tour at the props table!

(Sorry I realise this is no help to your problem, I'd recomend reading the play or trying to see Act2 as we wont do it justice here!)

THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
 May 20 2011, 04:05:51 AM
I did my MA thesis on Angels (the 2006 London production specifically) and found a lot of information on the National Theatre production (Donnellan's). I'm 'hanging' this study off 4 key productions: The Normal Heart, Angels, Rent and Holding The Man (Conigrave/Murphy 2006) and then looking at the 'bigger picture' of the smaller productions surrounding those, wider cultural picture (what was going on in theatre the year 'Philadelphia' came out that sort of thing) Of course Angels and Rent aside
THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
 May 19 2011, 03:04:51 PM
haha fair point!

In a nutshell then, I'm looking at representations of HIV/AIDS in British theatre/performance and the impact on British theatre(caveat for live/performance art as opposed to so called 'traditional' theatre)

The rationale being we haven't produced much in the way or 'original' response in the sense that most plays/performance has been imported from the USA (and a notable Australian exception) therefore that begs questions of our audience reading/artistic interpr

THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
 May 19 2011, 02:44:22 PM
Thanks so much-my treasured copy is the first edition one so could do with a 'working' copy.

I'll PM you so as not to bore the rest of the thread!

THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
 May 19 2011, 02:32:29 PM
Could I ask what year/publisher the Kushner edition is in? I'd be interested to read that.

Just to add I'm incredibly jealous of everyone getting to see this production, I'm a PhD student studying HIV/AIDS in theatre which ironically means I can't afford a trip to NY to see this!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You