News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for johnsons

johnsons Profile Photo
Member Name: johnsons
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

All MY Sons Extension?
 Oct 20 2008, 02:13:15 PM
Considering All My Sons is selling close to capacity and with strong ticket prices, do you think an extension is likely?
Passing Strange Tour???
 Sep 1 2008, 07:48:39 PM
So I recently read an interview where Stew expressed extreme interest in a post-Broadway tour with Passing Strange. (Granted this was back when the show was on Broadway) Is that still on the table? Or did the low post-Tony attendance at the Belasco squash the possibility?
re: RENT review 8/29
 Sep 1 2008, 07:45:43 PM
Wow- I saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was great. And I am not by any means a carried away rent-head. Maybe it was an off night- because Adam Kantor's voice was great when I saw him. The problem with theatre reviews is nobody ever sees the exact same performance- so it's all subjective. Thanks for the review.
re: Do you go see a broadway show for the show or just a performance/perfor
 Sep 1 2008, 07:39:43 PM
I think with show that has a specific performer's name in EVERY poster and advertisement it is safe to assume that the performer is the main attraction. "Patti Lupone in Gypsy", "Lawrence Fishburne in Thurgood"- it happens all the time.
Jersey Boys Chicago Rush?
 Aug 26 2008, 06:07:31 PM
I am going to be in Chicago shortly and since I have no desire to see Wicked for the third time, I thought I would try to rush Jersey Boys. Are there any Chicago natives or people who have been to Chicago recently that can suggest a good time to get to the box office?
re: 'Idol' Finalist Ace Young to Join Broadway's Grease
 Aug 26 2008, 12:50:04 AM
Ugh. . .could this show sink any lower? I thought after the ABYSMAL Tony performance people might realize that there are more worthwhile things on Broadway. But alas. . .
re: KIDS ON BROADWAY
 Aug 25 2008, 07:12:24 PM
I'm not upset at all- I'm totally facinated by 13 and I can't wait to see Billy Elliot. I was just trying to get in the producers heads. After all- Spring Awakening had terrible attendance and was basically a money pit on Broadway until Tony noms came out. And it was brilliant. It just seems a little risky. . .and Broadway is already risky.
re: KIDS ON BROADWAY
 Aug 25 2008, 06:59:34 PM
Ya I guess "craze" was a little strong of a word- but the point I'm trying to get to is that the two most hyped new musicals of the year(save TOTC) are really relying on a few select children for the success of the show. I'm so used to seeing featured children in shows- but these producers are really banking on these performances. They will really have to be amazing(especially in 13) to bring in audiences with the only really recognizable name connected to the project being Jason Robert Brown. .
KIDS ON BROADWAY
 Aug 25 2008, 06:31:55 PM
Has anybody else noticed how flooded Broadway stages are going to be with children in the coming months? With 13 and Billy Elliot. . . I have no problem with child performers(as long as they can give performances of comparable quality to adults) but I don't really understand what the sudden craze is. With 3 different Billies constantly changing and a stage full of children with little Broadway experience, do you think the quality of the shows can stay consistant? Maybe the no-broadway experience
re: Kerry Butler
 Aug 25 2008, 06:21:41 PM
I think Kerry Butler's voice and acting style are so unique that she really only works in very specific roles. Personally I think she was fine in Xanadu- although she certainly was in over her head compared to the other best actress Tony nominees. She really can rock a role if it's right for her. Xanadu, Bat Boy, Hairspray, and Little Shop worked. However when she was recording demos as Ariel in the workshops for Mermaid? Not so much. . .
re: Help needed in selecting 2 shows
 Aug 23 2008, 02:47:55 PM
[Title of Show] is brilliant and you would probably get the best seat for that. But Gypsy and Boeing are fantastic choices too.
re: The numbers concerning 'A Tale of Two Cities ' are scary
 Aug 23 2008, 02:46:35 PM
Plus ever since the Les Mis revival closed, there hasn't really been a huge sprawling historical epic on Broadway. TOTC is MUCH better than Pirate Queen- I think it will find an audience with mature theatre goers who want to see something other than Wicked and Mermaid. Plus the voices on that stage cannot be matched.
re: Scariest moments in a show...
 Aug 23 2008, 01:20:42 AM
The last 20 minutes of "Wait Until Dark" are terrifying if done right.
re: tos or tale of 2 cities
 Aug 23 2008, 01:18:17 AM
Wow- talk about apples and oranges. If you are obsessed theatre and really want a night of smart humor and intimate theatre, go for [Title of Show]. If you want a sprawling epic musical with big sets and big voices, see TOTC. They are both great in their own ways.
re: [Title of Show] Moment of Truth
 Aug 23 2008, 01:15:10 AM
True- but the weekly gross is still under 200,000. Which is definately isn't high. . .I t gives me the fanboy shivers when I think about TOS making it all the way to Broadway and not stay open for the Tony's. . .
re: The Official August: Osage County Love Thread
 Aug 23 2008, 01:12:01 AM
I saw it with the orignal cast and LOVED it. Does anybody have an opinion of how Estelle Parsons compares to Deanna?
[Title of Show] Moment of Truth
 Aug 23 2008, 01:10:07 AM
Alright I love [Title of Show] as much as the next person- hence my Hunter Bell icon. But the continuous 45-55% attendance is worrying me. I know shows have started with low attendance and become wildly successful, but do you guys think [Title of Show] will be able to hold on to the Lyceum all the way to Tony time or even to the January date it's selling tickets through?
re: 'the [title of show] show' - Episode 10
 Aug 23 2008, 01:06:33 AM
WOOHOO I LOVE it. I really hope they do a second season. . .
re: Patti Lupone
 Aug 23 2008, 01:05:48 AM
I think 40 years of people boosting her ego might have gotten to her head a little. She has been known to be pretty short tempered. But she is truly an incredible performer- so artistically she is still a great role model!
re: Robert Reviews 'Spring Awakening' with Hunter Parrish!
 Aug 23 2008, 12:58:55 AM
It was the Saturday night after he started- his 8th show. He only sounded really strained on "Totally F*cked" and a just a bit on Left Behind. But it definately seemed like he had the potential to sing it all well so I would not be surprised if he's great by now.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You