News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for rio197

Member Name: rio197
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Acting Techniques --a discussion
 Sep 21 2008, 02:28:33 PM
In my case it helps.. but only if what I write in the life story concerns (and answers my questions of) what's already on the script. Things that go too far are just irrelevant to me and they won't really round out the person.

actually, I've got a question, how do you create a physical action? or activity? It's my greatest concern, I'm perpetually worried of becoming just a talking head..

Sep 19 2008, 05:27:41 AM
Well said, Ahmelie. blue shirt

touchinthemorning, I saw you wrote: "My biggest problem with meisner is that he doesn't speak often enough about internal listening...I've found that most characters I play speak out because of an internal cue combined with an external one,"
I reckon there's an answer to your concern. Meisner once said "you respond to what's happening inside you when you hear your partner" (I'm paraphrasing here). This is on the video that he made with Sydney Pollack. And he didn't teach just the repetition but also "the pinch and the ouch". Maybe this last part is not taught well in the "meisner class" of most theater education?

Sep 17 2008, 04:49:51 PM
"allow me to disagree on this one. Psychoanalysis may help in beginning preperations to get into your character, but it is an intellectual activity, "

now Pippin, analyzing a script is an intellectual activity anyway! I wrote specifically in regards to PA's step 1 which is the analysis part. When you read a script for the first time of course you can "feel" it out. Most of the time this works.. but when it doesn't, that's when we use a technique. Could be psychoanalysis, could be something else.
Back to PA... when you've found what the guy/girl wants, and chose an action to pursue it, if it doesn't do anything for you that's where the "as-if" comes in. It's something that turns your wheels that'll serve as a mnemonic device to remind you what it feels like. Then the "as-if" and the "listening" will get you out of your head.
But sure, finally I'm not saying you have to use only PA.

"Psychoanalyzing is also akin to judging yourself, which you must never do"

Freud would disagree with you on that :) his analysis technique is about deconstructing the person's dreams (or in the extreme, neurotic acts) in order to discover that unconscious wish, that unseen fixation and understanding the mechanisms that transform the wish into the dreams / acts.
To put it into our field of acting, it's all possible to use it in order to understand what the person on paper (aka character) wants. And to get around being judgmental I always confide that my character is always right, no matter how weird / evil he is. Maybe that can solve the problem of trying to coax the audience into feeling a certain thing about you?

and ThankstoPhantom, in agreement I'll say "all acting theories are USELESS.. unless the ones that work for you"

Sep 17 2008, 09:58:12 AM
sorry, it seems my postings just went to the woods i.e. all gone!
lemme try again:

jrb wrote:
"1. Figure out what the character is literally doing in the scene. What does he want?"

I think this is where I got stumped most of the time..
however, I think one can use a technique to get to know what the character really wants: psychoanalysis.
I recommend Sigmund Freud's book "A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis" it blew my mind

re: Photo Coverage: Spring Awakening Onstage Proposal
 Aug 22 2008, 11:37:28 PM
i'd totally daydream about that.
re: The Official August: Osage County Love Thread
 Aug 22 2008, 11:21:10 PM
you know it. my favorite part is the curtain dropper of Act I. i call it the "roof-burner". Amy Morton's amazing.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You