News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bossbear062

Member Name: bossbear062
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Thoughts on Cynthia Erivo
 Aug 6 2017, 02:32:35 PM

And, to the contrary, that is not a "new way of thinking." What you write has been around since at least the 1960s. It is an old way of thinking. This rhetoric has only recently entered the mainstream discourse in the age of the Internet, but it has long been a common sight in academia. The backlash began as far back as the 1980s when the term "politically correct" was coined. Such rhetoric led nowhere constructive then, and it's not leading to any constructi

Aug 6 2017, 02:27:30 PM

You're villifying people.

I will be more clear. Anytime I refer to some one as racist I am not saying they are bad people. We need to stop being so afraid of the word racist or racism. Yes it has caused harm but there is more to it. So there need be no fear of ramifications if we speak honestly. Especially in modern day history. If you can see where I'm coming from with that you will understand what I'm saying. There is nothing &quo

Aug 6 2017, 01:31:39 PM

"Likewise, the idea that racial minorities cannot be "racist" is a rhetorical sleight-of-hand that ironically alienates and dehumanizes the majority/"dominant" racial cohort and renders it a faceless monolith ("the other" )w hile conveniently absolving racial minorities of taking responsibility for their own feelings and actions. It does both sides of the interface a disservice and turns them into mindlessly adversarial factions."

&n

Aug 6 2017, 12:21:47 PM

Dave28282 said: "bossbear062 said: "You don't get cured of cancer just by not talking about it."

But you might live a happier life if you don't mention it to everyone, every sentence, every day all day. Beinig treated like a victim everywhere you go. But focus on other things too and reach beyond it.

It's not like anyone helped the situation or gained any form of respect by accusing random strangers on Twitter of racism b

Aug 6 2017, 12:16:46 PM

Dave28282 said: "bossbear062 said: "You don't get cured of cancer just by not talking about it."

But you might live a happier life if you don't mention it to everyone, every sentence, every day all day. Beinig treated like a victim everywhere you go. But focus on other things too and reach beyond it.

It's not like anyone helped the situation or gained any form of respect by accusing random strangers on Twitter of racism becau

Aug 6 2017, 11:30:06 AM

Dave28282 said: "No matter if you use it selectively or if you really live by it, fact is that it is brought up in situations that have nothing to do with it, such as the Oak firing and the Meg dreamcasting. Which is a shame because it prevents equality. Stop pulling it and you will see the world will start to treat you differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ

I've seen the latter part of your argument and Morgan's Freeman argument used a lot. And I have this to say: You can't just not "talk about it" or "stop talking about it". Racism is a disease of the highest order that has made society sick. You don't get cured of cancer just by not talking about it. 

"

Aug 6 2017, 11:13:24 AM

BlackElleWoods said: "Dave28282 said: "orlikethecolorpurple said: " Race is not something POC "play" "

Oh yes, and Cynthia plays it VERY selectively, as you can read in the previous points about her suddenly changing her standpoint to her advance.

Yes !!! She definitely played it with the Hercules situation and Great Comet & anyone who thinks she didnt wasnt paying attention to anything&nbs

Aug 6 2017, 11:03:19 AM

At minimum stop thinking racism does not remain pervasive, systemic, and deeply interconnected with dominance and power."

Indeed! Very true statement.  

Like I said racism is not something that folks like to use for their convinces. It's a very painful thing to encounter and to come to grips with. There has never been a story in this society or history where race did not play a factor. So try to think outside of the box when you say someone is &q

Aug 6 2017, 10:47:04 AM

Historically now it does. Racism is racism no matter what color you are.

That's not true. As time has gone on and true historical studies that have happened we are starting to learn what racism truly is. There is only one group of people that has ever benefited off of being prejudice to someone else's skin color. That is racism. When prejudice meets power. 

Aug 6 2017, 10:42:46 AM

Dave28282 said: "bossbear062 said: "Calling a black person racist is also not correct."

Stop right there. Any person can be racist. Many black people are racist. 

Racism is discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. (Which Cynthia does here)

In human social affairsdiscrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person based on the group, class, or category to which the person is perceived to belong rather than on individual attributes. (which Cynthia does here)

Prejudice is an affective feeling toward a person or group member based solely on their group membership (which Cynthia does here).

Look the word racism is a more complex word then what a dictionary says. You can't sum up a history of profitable oppression that still effects society to this day is one stance in a book. So instead of telling me to "stop" and then quoting a book, ask me "why" or "how". 

Aug 6 2017, 10:38:18 AM

There should be more truth to any life than race.

Bringing race into this, and other cases lik the Great Comet is just very rude and really makes me wonder if there is anything more to her than race. Because it seemed to be the only reason for her desired dreamcasting.

There "should" be more truth to any life then race. But in many instances (especially in this country) that is not the case. There is not one single story in history you can tell t

Aug 6 2017, 10:13:49 AM

rosscoe(au) said: "Not wild at all , just calling out a racist. Simple as that. 

Sometimes the truth hurts other times it sets you free 

Calling a black person racist is also not correct. Prejudice and or bigoted yes. But racist is a completely different and more complex meaning that historically does not apply to black people. Especially in western society. 

"

Aug 6 2017, 10:07:33 AM

I'm not here to excuse bad behavior or rudeness but I think this is a sad that when people of color speak their truths of their own lives. I don't think you guys are taking into account the difficulty and the societal burden of what it is to be a black female in this world. Let alone one that's an actress. If you don't care about her as a performer then that's perfectly fine. But think twice before reacting. There are many women of color in her pos

Godspell Rush?
 Nov 9 2011, 02:32:22 PM
Do they offer standing room tickets?
Best Album to listen to while working out!
 Oct 26 2011, 09:03:27 AM
I personally enjoy HAIR while running and Jesus Christ Superstar while lifting, but I was wondering what other albums and or songs help you guy get through a workout by listening to them.
NEWSIES THE MUCICAL VIDEO PREVIEW.
 Sep 1 2011, 10:25:30 PM
Opinions?

http://www.playbill.com/multimedia/video/4715.html

THE LAST FIVE YEARS coming to Broadway?
 Aug 21 2011, 07:34:34 PM
On their website it says they are going to sell standing room tickets day of show after the 4th number in the show and only if the show is sold out.

Shows that don't age well
 Aug 20 2011, 09:09:59 AM
IMO:

1776: Unless it gets a revamp of new songs. I don't think and audience can sit through that show today.

A chorus line: It's hard to put my finger on why it feels dated..but it does.

Spamalot: Less and Less people appreciate the comedy of that nature

And I know it's to early to call but do you think these new hit contemporary musicals will hold up 20 plus years from now i.e. Spring Awaking, and In the Heights? I actually think Next to Normal will hold up

Lyrics that strike you as odd or disgust you
 Jun 22 2011, 12:24:23 AM
I can't stand the "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah's" From "I am the one" in Next to Normal...just does not fit and sounds forced..IMO
What are some roles that don't require a great (or pleasant) singing voice?
 Jun 21 2011, 02:11:43 PM
Of more recent shows.

Billy in Billy Elliot
Usnavi in In the Heights.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You