News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RogerFilmmaker

Member Name: RogerFilmmaker
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: RENT: Live from Broadway (Film) - Thoughts
 Sep 27 2008, 05:37:01 PM
Hi lstbutifulgrl2,
I thought of that idea that they were trying for a gritty documentary feeling through shots from Mark's camera and perspective. The problem is it doesn't make sense because he's no where near to give us that POV (Point of View) shot. Plus the language of film requires that if that is the intention then you must first justify it with a set-up shot ahead showing Mark with camera rolling then cut to the shakey out of focus shots. Nope it's just bad shot choices and some poor

Sep 27 2008, 03:04:25 PM
Hi Crushgroove,
I can see the attempt at adding a verite look but it didn't work thats all. I'm not the one saying there are issues with the shooting/editing in some parts. I'm not on a slam mission here, I only want the best version of the show to exist. You say they used many cameras and I can see that. That is why it is imperitive to use the right shots in their cutaways. I'm not saying the whole show is a mess in fact the opposite. I love Rent and this was an amazing performance. The vid

re: Filming Broadway shows and releasing them to movie theatres -- thoughts
 Sep 27 2008, 09:47:20 AM
I'm all for filming Broadway Shows if they are filmed well. The company that shot RENT had all the tools in HD but shots were out of focus half the time. I know some people are calling this "MTV" style but it is just shoddy camera work. Whenever the camera was handheld it shook and zinged and zanged all over the place. It was so distracting it confused anyone who's never seen the show. I brought a large group of people and they all told me they had no idea where anything was happening on the sta
 Sep 26 2008, 04:42:30 PM
Crushgroove...
It's not an issue of different editing choices as it's the fact that 25% of the bloody shots are shaky, roaming for a place to aim and out of focus. Those aren't editing choices, they are poor camerawork. If they don't plan on a re-cut on some of those shots then they are darn fools becuse it's an insult to the fabulous and emotional performances those actors left on that stage. I'm not out to complain and I'm not trying to create an issue. But I've worked on many films, and t

Sep 26 2008, 11:22:17 AM
Thank you Mister Matt, While I wrote my long note you expressed far more eloquently my thoughts. What the hell I told you I'm a filmmaker not a writer...
 Sep 26 2008, 11:16:25 AM
I just got horrible news of just how correct my earlier notes on the poor videography and editing may just destroy this valuable play. When I saw the show last night I had brought about 14 people with me. All of them RENT newbies wanting to see it because I'm such a fan and got them excited. Today a few of them confessed they really didn't "get it" because they couldn't tell what was going on half the time and where people on the stage were. They liked the singing and thought the performances we
 Sep 26 2008, 01:12:29 AM
Just saw the live film. I'm not sure what film some of you saw but I can't agree with you on the editing and videography. The performances were amazing but the shots were way to close, half of them the camera was moving all around and out of focus. I hope for the great performances sake if they release this on dvd they re-edit it. Go with way more medium shots and wide shots so we can see the show and performances. They had a fabulous crane and dolly working there and when they used those shots
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You