News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Tent

Tent Profile Photo
Member Name: Tent
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: London Evita Revival will NOT head to Broadway
 Sep 28 2008, 09:28:33 AM
I've seen the show done with "screamers" cast as Eva Peron. It crawls right up your spine. I would have immediately left the theater if I wasn't an optimist with hopes that it would get better.
 Sep 28 2008, 02:49:32 AM
That wasn't quite the positive reinforcement I was looking for but ... perhaps too many people were turned off by the train wreck of the movie, possibly? Never-the-less, local groups in this either don't have the resources or the nerve to take on such an ambitious endeavor as this modern opera. I have both. I think too many groups approach it as 'just another musical' and go into it without much knowledge of the woman and/or Latino culture and passion. They don't see the depth, complexity and mystery behind the real Eva Peron. I've educated my cast and crew. Hell, I've obsessed over it.
I've also convinced the Board of Governors to increase my budget by 2K. I can be quite persuasive
Judging by what I've seen on YouTube, I suppose I agree to some extent. Too many groups are doing it who shouldn't and as for "big-name-stars" taking on the challenging role of Eva Peron... I can't think of many who have the proper training to do it and were they to, the show would probably suffer the same fate as the movie. We are infested with weak "pop culture" vocal abilities.
I also disagree with those claiming it's outdated. Current political turmoil keeps this work of art fresh and relevant ... again, if the show is done right with the proper respect it deserves.

Sep 27 2008, 08:24:42 PM
Unfortunately, I did not see the original Broadway cast of EVITA but you said a mouth full! I've seen the show six times and not once was I satisfied with the show's treatment. I did see it with Loni Ackerman and, while her performance was exceptional, the rest of the cast and crew seemed to have some place to go that night as they rushed through it at a life-threatening pace. Yes, it can be a "bore."
So ... I fought to direct it for a local theater company and it opens this coming Friday,

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You