News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LaMusicaVa

LaMusicaVa Profile Photo
Member Name: LaMusicaVa
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Original cast of SOUND OF MUSIC will sign Cd's at Barnes & Noble
 Nov 14 2009, 01:31:55 PM
This is one event I wish I could make. I was actually a little surprised that there hasn't been more hoopla over the 50th anniversary, since it's such a well-known and beloved show.

Visit this link to see the tribute page for the original production that I put together on my website: http://www.soundofmusicsite.110mb.com/50th.htm

re: Joe Wright to direct My Fair Lady film, Knightley and possibly Craig to
 Oct 26 2009, 06:46:01 PM
Why remake a classic movie musical? I'm a firm believer in, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hear, hear! My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Keira Knightley could do with the part, if I were sure she could sing well enough. Just once I'd like to see a real honest-to-goodness lyric soprano cast in a movie lead and do their own singing.

Hugh Laurie was my first thought for Higgins when I heard there was going to be a remake. I believe at one point Emm

In search of guitar chords
 Jun 23 2009, 06:57:41 PM
Please let me know if this request is in any way against rules...or if it's on the wrong board.

Anyway, I'm trying to find guitar chords for "They Say It's Wonderful" from Annie Get Your Gun, by Irving Berlin. I've had no luck online; all I came up with was a Sinatra version and the chords didn't sound right to me. I'm looking for it in the key in which it was performed on the 1966 revival cast recording - E-flat, if I remember correctly. If anyone knows the chords or has sheet m

re: Looking Ahead: 2010-2011 Tours
 Jun 11 2009, 09:00:21 PM
This one's '09 - '10 too, but South Pacific is touring.

http://www.theatermania.com/san-francisco/news/01-2009/south-pacific-to-open-national-tour-in-san-francis_17283.html

re: Just like a scene from a musical...
 Apr 15 2009, 09:37:26 PM
Oh, okay. I did a search but for some reason it didn't get any results. Oh, well... :) Sorry!

Just like a scene from a musical...
 Apr 15 2009, 09:32:28 PM
I don't know if this has been posted on here before...I didn't see it anywhere, so I couldn't resist. :) We all get a little laugh sometimes at the idea of people bursting into song and dance in public places, which happens so frequently in musicals. Here's what it looks like in real life - this is at the Central Station in Antwerp, Belgium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY

It was a very clever publicity stunt for a new stage production of the show which is opening in Belgium later this year (as well as their reality TV show for casting the lead).

re: More Photos From West Side Story DC Production
 Dec 23 2008, 09:49:01 PM
Josefina Scaglione looks gorgeous, but does anyone else think that Maria's dress for the dance looks more like what you'd wear under a dress than a dress itself?

I do. It's pretty, but it does give that impression. When I saw the dress shop photo that's what I thought it was until I noticed the blue piping (probably remembering the way that scene was done in the movie).

Whatever the costumes are, they are not genuine 1950s. The dress Maria wears for 'One Hand, One Heart'

re: Favorite Set Designs
 Dec 22 2008, 09:23:30 PM
I love some of Oliver Smith's designs - look at the original interior for the von Trapp house in The Sound of Music:

http://www.rnh.com/gallery_detail.asp?div=gallery&gid=2992&action=&id=2992&s=s

Exterior: http://www.rnh.com/gallery_detail.asp?div=gallery&gid=2999&action=&id=2999&s=s

His design for the Professor's study in My Fair Lady: http://julieandrewsforum.com/pictures/displayimage.php?album=118&pos=55

Covent Garden: http://julieandrewsforum.com/pictures/displayimage.php?album=118&pos=58

I thought The Light In The Piazza was amazing. It was practically one set and yet it created the impression of so many different locations with just little changes. The lighting was amazing too.

Why was mary martin such a big star?
 Dec 22 2008, 07:51:45 PM
I believe the SOM audio has all the original principals (including all the original kids) except that it's Jon Voight as Rolf! It definitely doesn't sound like Brian Davies.

I don't think that's the one I have - I believe it is Brian Davies. According to the little bit of information I have it's from November or December 1959, right after the show opened, and Voight didn't take over as Rolf for about a year afterwards. The only ones I'm not sure about are the von Trapp boys - for

Why was mary martin such a big star?
 Dec 21 2008, 10:34:17 PM
Hey, jv92 - I have an audio of the OBC of The Sound of Music as well! I think it must be the same one - I can't imagine there being two of a show that old. I don't know anything about mine - when it was recorded and such, and I'm not 100% sure about who some of the cast are. Do you know any details about the one you have?
Movie Musicals
 Dec 21 2008, 10:18:39 PM
I don't see how they can use the Shaw ending along with 'I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face.' Pygmalion ended with Higgins saying, "She's going to marry Freddy!" and laughing loudly, so at least it was a little bit comical. But Higgins sitting alone moping would be a realy down-note ending. I suppose they could move the song to before his conversation with Eliza, but I don't think that would work either.
all plays must be done in their native tongues
 Dec 20 2008, 10:29:56 PM
So the surtitles for the Spanish-language songs show the original English lyrics rather then the literal translation of the Spanish? Hmmm...that doesn't really make sense. If you're going to do it you might as well go all the way! :)

There's one thing that might be a stumbling-block for this bilingual version. I've seen bilingual shows/films that worked wonderfully before. I thought that The Light In The Piazza's use of Italian was amazing, and one of my favorite movies, The T

re: Hugh Laurie for Higgins?
 Dec 20 2008, 09:57:14 PM
Hugh Laurie would be perfect for Higgins! He was the first person I thought of when I heard that a remake was inevitable. Let's just hope the 'eventual director' agrees with Emma Thompson.

According to articles I've seen Keira Knightley is 'signed' to play Eliza. That could be exaggeration or misinformation, but I have a feeling it's true. (Although one article's author displayed their ignorance by declaring she was being coached by a voice teacher to handle "all the high C notes

re: Why Was Mary Martin Such a Big Star?
 Dec 17 2008, 10:15:54 PM
I've asked this question myself. Being about the #1 fan of The Sound of Music, I've heard Martin on the OBC album many, many times, though I've never been able to locate any video footage from the show. Compared to other Marias I don't really care for her vocal interpretation. I agree that there really must have been something special about her live performances - having seen the TV version of Peter Pan and heard the cast album for that, I think her live renditions of the songs hav
re: Anyone seeing WEST SIDE STORY in D.C. today?
 Dec 17 2008, 10:07:49 PM
It almost seems pointless now for me to add that the costumes are horrendous, since everyone appears to agree on that. :) Speaking as someone who loves '50s fashion in general and Irene Sharaff's original designs as well, it looks like they either decided to scrap the '50s element altogether or someone really doesn't know what they're doing. Unless they were going for a futuristic look for the 'Somewhere' dream sequence? And by the way, was that the new version of the famous white party dress th
re: favorite funny songs from musicals?
 Dec 9 2008, 05:40:34 PM
'Bon Voyage' & 'What's The Use?' from Candide
'The Rumor' from Fiddler On The Roof
'Conga' & 'One Hundred Easy Ways To Lose A Man' from Wonderful Town
'Notes' from The Phantom of the Opera
'I'm An Ordinary Man' from My Fair Lady

re: How many musicals have had concert versions?
 Dec 8 2008, 05:29:50 PM
Oh, I didn't realize Encores! were concerts. I just glanced at the photos of 'On the Town' recently and saw they were in full costume, which they don't always do for concert versions.

Has anyone ever done 'West Side Story' that way? On the one hand it seems a likely idea since it's a vocally demanding and more 'operatic' show, but on the other hand it might not work so well since the dance is such a big part of it.

How many musicals have had concert versions?
 Dec 8 2008, 11:29:46 AM
How many Broadway musicals have had/are going to have professional semi-staged concert versions? Off the top of my head I can think of...

Les Miserables
Candide
South Pacific
Chess
My Fair Lady
A Little Night Music

Any more?

Julie Andrews to host PBS New Year's Day concert
 Dec 5 2008, 07:12:42 PM
I just heard about this the other day - Julie Andrews will be taking over for Walter Cronkite as the host of the annual New Year's Day concert from Vienna on PBS. This is the 25th anniversary year, and the concert will also be recorded and released on DVD.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Julie_Andrews_Will_Host_Annual_PBS_New_Years_Day_Concert_20081204

I just watched it for the first time last year and enjoyed it very much, and I'll definitely be watching again this year!

re: Santa here is my chistmas list of revivals.
 Nov 28 2008, 01:36:18 PM
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who wants The Sound of Music back! Something better than the '98 revival. The London/Toronto version would be great, of course, but it would be nice to see a different take on it too.

My Fair Lady. It would be so much better to see a stage revival than a film remake!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You