News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TonyInATL

TonyInATL Profile Photo
Member Name: TonyInATL
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

New Globe @ Governor's Island!!
 Mar 4 2008, 01:06:31 AM
Here's the gist of the campaign, excerpted from the BWW news article:

New Globe Theater Calling on Community to Oppose National Park Service Plan

The National Park Service has released its Draft General Management Plan for Governors Island - and despite overwhelming public support for the inclusion of the New Globe Theater proposal in the national monument, the NPS alternatives unveiled do not include this project.

Off the tip of Manhattan, on Governors Island, sits a dilapidated military fort, built to defend America against the British during the War of 1812. That fortification – Castle Williams – happens to have the identical blueprint as Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London. The New Globe Theater (www.newglobe.org) proposes to re-imagine the fort into the vibrant education and cultural center, thus recasting this symbol of war into an icon of UK-US friendship.

The design by Lord Norman Foster restores this decaying national monument to its 1811 glory, creates a museum space, and incorporates an exciting stage for world-class productions of Shakespeare as well as works by modern playwrights, jazz performances, lectures and a wide range of other events.

The entire article can be found here: https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=25628.

The deadline for public feedback is March 18th.

re: New Globe @ Governor's Island!!
 Mar 2 2008, 10:19:08 PM
Hey folks-

If you have a second, please go to this website (http://www.newglobe.org/campaign/) to voice your support to the National Park Service for this worthwhile effort.

Thanks.

re: COMPANY on Georgia Public Broadcasting
 Feb 17 2008, 03:05:16 PM
Yes, Contact did air eventually. I believe on a Saturday night. I meant that the shows I mentioned aired later than the expected time, not that they didn't air at all.
re: COMPANY on Georgia Public Broadcasting
 Feb 17 2008, 01:45:24 PM
M-

For some reason, that seems to be the case with almost every Great Performances telecast here in Dooleyland (which is what I'm sure the Georgia General Assembly is going to rename the state any day now; priorities, you know). The same thing happened with Contact, The Light in the Piazza, Fosse, et.al.

re: Julie Taymor's Grendel
 Jul 12 2006, 01:45:55 AM
I'm seeing it Thursday evening, and I'm going to try to attend the symposium Wednesday. Looking forward to it!
re: Julie Taymor's Grendel
 Jun 24 2006, 11:40:17 AM
Thanks for posting this, Margo! Of course, it should come as no surprise to you that not a single soul responded to it on this board. 'Til now, that is. :)

I've heard about this opera for the longest time from reading bios and stories of either Ms. Taymor or Mr. Goldenthal, and I'm excited to finally see it at Lincoln Center. I admire Julie Taymor and Eliot Goldenthal for their creative genius and thank and congratulate the LA Opera and Lincoln Center for supporting this work of theater art.

Here's a link to more production photos from the LA Opera website:

http://www.laopera.com/press%5Fphoto/index.asp?productionid=197

re: You're Gonna Love Me
 Jun 12 2006, 10:12:41 AM
RE: original question...You have GOT to be kidding.

re: Marc Shaimans classic 'Pick a little' video.
 Oct 22 2005, 01:35:53 AM
"I thought this deserved to resurface."

No. It didn't. Please give it a rest.

re: LAST NIGHT
 Sep 27 2005, 02:07:33 AM
What? You need me to translate emails?

re: Oprah Winfrey Presents: The Color Purple
 Sep 27 2005, 01:45:58 AM
RE:
"...did you see the movie version? She has wonderful talent as an actress, if not as a singer."

"Oprah Winfrey is an amazing actress and she was robbed of an Oscar."

"...but Oprah is an AMAZING and truthful actress."

Ummmm, sorry folks, but I have to disagree wholeheartedly. Oprah has to be one of the most mediocre actresses out there. In every performance she gives, I never see a fully developed, authentic, credible character; I s

re: LAST NIGHT
 Sep 27 2005, 01:01:01 AM
Ok, let me translate:

I CAN'T BELEIVE JAMES AND ASHLEY HAVE GONE THEY WERE FANTASTIC TO WATCH AND I'M SURE THEY WILL GO ON TO DO OTHER THINGS.
> "I am in a state of disbelief over the fact that James Lomas and Ashley Lloyd have left the London cast of Billy Elliot. Their performances were simply a joy to behold. I'm certain that with the level of talent such as they possess, they'll be treading the boards elsewhere anon."

I CRIED SO MUCH ON THEIR LAST NIGHT BECAU

re: Is Wicked Still Good?
 Sep 13 2005, 06:49:14 PM
It was never good.
re: Braces for 2-3 more months
 Aug 5 2005, 06:24:31 PM
I had two impacted wisdom teeth removed, and was knocked out for it, but still had swollen jaws for 3-4 days afterward. I remember having this "turkey baster" syringe that I had to use to rinse out the empty sockets with Betadine. Fortunately, I never experienced any pain at any time during the whole deal.

Then I got braces a few months later, and had to deal with 3 years of day-after-tightening pain and "distal ends". I was a wax junkie.

re: which is better: the book? or the musical?
 Aug 4 2005, 03:14:31 PM
We're in agreement again, Yankeeboy.

Going back to Red's comments regarding Schwartz's score... although it's not one of my favorites, it's never really been the score that I've had issues with. I've always thought the book was the biggest problem with Wicked, the musical. Granted, it's a tough novel to adapt to a 2 hour musical, but I think that Ms. Holzmann's attempt fell tragically short. I felt that I was bombarded with glitz and special effects to mask the fact that t

re: Best Broadway Musicals that NEVER EXISTED
 Aug 4 2005, 03:02:53 PM
How about Elian!, the Elian Gonzalez musical from Saturday Night Live, featuring none other than Ana Gasteyer, now in the Chicago Wicked, as Elian's mother?

re: which is better: the book? or the musical?
 Aug 4 2005, 02:48:55 PM
Amen, Yankeeboy!

And, this may be a little off-topic, but does anyone else think that the novel Wicked would make a great miniseries, a la Gulliver's Travels, except for cable?

Aug 4 2005, 02:19:05 PM
Does anyone remember Get a Life! with Chris Elliot? Remember the musical they put on that had zoo animals on roller skates? If I recall, Chris was a wildebeest or something, and got to deliver a solo number.

re: Spelling Bee- Top of the Class!
 Aug 4 2005, 02:11:15 PM
I saw this show for the first time last week, and enjoyed it immensely. I think the score is just fantastic, and I've been unable to get "The I Love You Song" out of my head, it's so poignantly beautiful. The performances were excellent. My seat was on the right side, beside the orchestra, but, being a musician, I didn't the proximity to Mr. Feichtner and company. I found myself reading the cellist's music every now and then. And although the show played to the center, I never felt that I h
 Aug 4 2005, 01:22:49 PM
I remember Square Pegs, with its theme by The Waitresses. It now airs every now and then on HDNet.

Sluggy, you've reminded me of a variation on Phantom of the Opera from the show Wings, called Phantom of the Oprah, a musical that takes place on the set of The Oprah Winfrey Show, with Fay as Oprah.

Aug 4 2005, 01:02:11 PM
Yep, Michael.

It was called Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off.

Featuring the show-stopping "Dr. Zaius", sung to the tune of "Rock Me, Amadeus" byyyyy....Falco?

Yes, more silly lyrics from T...

Apes: [in unison]
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Ohhhh... Dr. Zaius

Troy: What's wrong with me?
Zaius: I think you're crazy.
Troy: I want a seco

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You