News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SueBee06

Member Name: SueBee06
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway during the Jewish High Holidays  Sep 11 2019, 02:41:55 PM

There are always good seats available during the High Holy days. Don't forget, they start the night before, so you'll probably see availability for two nights for each holiday. It doesn't hurt that the fall is typically one of Broadway's slow periods to begin with. Shows usually don't alter their schedules but some actors might be out.

Yondr Pouches  Sep 11 2019, 02:23:22 PM

nasty_khakis said: "Do these also block reception? I can see people putting phones in them still turned on and when they ring mid show they'll keep ringing until they get up and have an usher unlock so they can silence it."

At Hannah Gadsby's Douglas, they made sure you had put it on DND or shut it down before you put your device in the pouch. It worked really well. Admittedly, it is in a smaller theatre than a Broadway house.

Best Scene Changes  Aug 29 2019, 12:16:15 PM

The entire sequence starting from the beginning of The Angry Dance in Billy Elliott through to the end is one that stands out in my memory. That was one of the most effective uses of props, projections, lighting, and scenery with staging and choreography that I've seen.

Best Scene Changes  Aug 29 2019, 12:08:01 PM

SouthernCakes said: Also at the National: at the end of Angels Part 1 when the entire stage floor moves back and an entirely new stage floor is brought into place is just a technical marvel that had me gasping!"

It really was extraordinary and is only possible in a rep space set up like theirs. As a side note, I highly recommend the backstage tour they offer. It was a really fantastic peek into how the complex is laid out and how they're able to do things like this.

Hal Prince has died  Aug 1 2019, 11:21:34 AM

Joshua Kilimnik said: "Would reccommend a rewatch of the wonderful documentary Harold Prince - The Director's Life. I caught it on PBS a few months ago and opened my eyes to a lot of insight of his productions that I never would have thought about, redowloaded it just now to rewatch."

In case anyone wants to rewatch, Channel 13 is going to re-air this on Friday 8/2 at 10PM. I have no idea whether other PBS stations are doing the same, but it's worth checking

WANTED: 1 ticket Fleabag  Mar 11 2019, 01:18:16 PM

PM'd you

2 Tix for Fleabag tonight 3/11 SOLD  Mar 11 2019, 10:27:18 AM

$100 each for seats F2, 4 which is what I paid including service fees. I accidentally double booked myself and saw it last Monday - she's as fantastic as I wanted her to be. Send me a message if interested!

"Cosby" Star Ridiculed For Working At Trader Joe's  Sep 4 2018, 01:16:13 PM

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "Good for Mr Owens for responding to this. I hope, as he says, that this puts him back on the radar and maybe helps open some audition room doors.

I would speculate that he used to get residuals from Cosby show reruns that are no longer airing... Cosby's despicable actions reach even further than the women he abused.
"

While I have no doubt that's true and those payments were helpful, I don't know how much he was getting in

Amar Ramasar (Jigger in CAROUSEL) suspended from NYCB over  Aug 29 2018, 03:23:40 PM

rjm516 said: "I just want to ask you all to take a breath and a look at how rapidly the responses itching to support the men flooded in, how the typical responses of "but his girlfriend and friends support him" were made, how fast people jump to defend the men and assume the complainant is lying. Especially with yesterday's news about Louis CK returning to the stage and getting a standing ovation, just take a g-d breath AND LOOK. I bet the same people have at one time s

"Straight White Men" incident tonight  Aug 10 2018, 10:53:05 AM

Matt Rogers said: "Some people on Facebook are saying it was a publicity stunt on the part of the producers. I guess that is possible, but I don't think Second Stage would resort to a David Merrick-esque type thing like this."

I can't imagine them doing that, let alone in a way that was an attempt to shame Kate.

HEAD OVER HEELS Previews  Jun 27 2018, 11:12:25 AM

I went last night. Is it a good, well crafted musical? No. Did I have a total blast? Yep. Spencer Liff's choreography is fantastic, the dancers are amazing, the band is fierce, and there is just a ton of talent on that stage. I didn't love Peppermint, but maybe it was an off night. To me, it was a night of just flat out fun, giving me a much needed respite from the world.  

HARRY POTTER Pts.1 & 2 on 5/30/18. Three seats available.  May 25 2018, 11:56:08 AM

You might want to check with the theatre. I know in London they allowed returns in order to cut back on scalping.

Name Change for Gypsy Robe Ceremony  Apr 18 2018, 05:47:53 PM

I posted this on the other board, but thought it might be helpful to understanding why the term is offensive.

It's a name that was given to the Romani people, incorrectly thought to be from Egypt when they were driven out of their home country. In Europe, especially, it's used as a slur synonymous with thief or cheat or dirty. The Romani became nomadic because there were (and are) anti-Gypsy laws on the books (think Irish not welcome here). There are in the US as well although they are working on abolishing those. Yes, in the US, we see it more as a term for carefree or nomadic, but given why they became nomadic, I can see how it's not an okay term.

Think of the word "gypped" which did come from the word Gypsy. Anti-semites would use "J-wed" in its place to mean the same thing. See the problem?

Just as the name redskin is now recognized as a slur and offensive to Native Americans, surely we can stop using the word Gypsy. I've pasted a link below that explains a lot of the history and has some excellent links within as well. http://www.jimchines.com/2016/11/racism-and-the-romani-people/

Hamilton- Front Mezz last row seats ok?  Apr 16 2018, 08:05:23 PM

Yep, they are good seats. I can't compare them to Orchestra, since I've only done the front mezz (next to last row), but I was quite happy.

What's a fantasy anyway?  Mar 26 2018, 03:20:46 PM

I get what you're saying and I think that, yes, Prior dying would have been the more realistic choice. I also think that the play wouldn't work the way it does if that was the choice Kushner had made. By not killing him, the audience actually does the emotional work as if he did, but can walk out of the theatre with a glimmer of hope while knowing that Prior is still not well and may not live long. And that is so important when it comes to what this work is trying to do. &quo

Is anyone wearing House Robes to Cursed Child  Mar 26 2018, 03:04:36 PM

Eliza2 said: "I don't care what anyone wears to the theatre as long as they're respectful and quiet during the actual show.

If you want to wear your robe, wear it and have fun. It's not hurting anyone else.
"

I agree 100%. In fact, it would put a huge smile on my face if I saw people in robes. The books mean so much to so many people that I think it's kind of lovely when I see it shine through. And I say this as a self-described theatre goin

Angles in America Merch  Mar 15 2018, 10:41:51 AM

Thanks! I never buy merch, but I might need to own a "F you, I'm a prophet" mug.

re: Any of you NY broadway folk have a London recommendation?  Feb 23 2018, 12:20:46 PM

Not a show rec, but I highly enjoyed the tour of The National Theatre that they give and it's really cheap, if I remember correctly. I wasn't sure going in whether it would be a waste of time, but I learned a ton and was able to check out areas I never thought we'd get to.

Tim Minchin performance on the Late Late Show  Dec 14 2017, 02:44:40 PM

I love this one. I first heard it last year and didn't expect for it to be as lovely as it turns out to be. There's something about it that cracks my heart open every time and leaves me in tears.

FOLLIES- National Theatre Live  Nov 16 2017, 04:01:47 PM

I have 2 tix for The Beekman tonight that I won't be able to use. Send me a message if you're interested.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You