News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for 5377brian

5377brian Profile Photo
Member Name: 5377brian
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hamilton Los Angeles Lottery  Nov 10 2017, 06:18:18 PM

Curious to know if anyone has personally won the Hamilton lottery here in Los Angeles?  I have entered daily since August, with no luck.  Any winners out there?

This Season's Performances You Consider Underrated  Apr 28 2017, 10:07:37 PM

I agree with you 100% regarding Will Roland.  Plus, there's something about that boy...umph

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Reviews  Apr 24 2017, 06:59:12 AM

That is not a pan from Brantley, did you read the review?   That was mixed.  

2017  Apr 21 2017, 10:51:53 AM

Please please release on vinyl.  

Why don't people like Ariana Grande  Apr 20 2017, 12:00:53 PM

People don't like her because she does things like stopping at a truck stop in Riverside, CA, saying something bitchy about working Americans, and then proceeded to lick the donuts sitting there that were about to be sold to other customers. 

That, and she makes her bodyguard carry her around like a pet monkey.  

Its not about her talent, or lack there of, it's about her lack of any type of tact or class.  People hate her as a person, not a performer. &nbs

2nd Ragtime revival  Apr 16 2017, 11:24:54 PM

Definitely.  I've been waiting for a Carol Channing Sarahfor years now

HEDWIG TOUR  Mar 15 2017, 04:28:52 PM

First time seeing it but have known about it for years.  I echo everyone's sentiments about how phenomenal both Euan and Hannah were. I wished I'd seen NPH but that ship sailed long ago.  I am curious how Darren Criss did when it was his turn on Broadway"

Although not on Broadway, I did see Darren Criss twice when the tour played here in Los Angeles.  He was an angry, devastating, fully fleshed out Hedwig. Stunning performance...I enjoye

Ticket Lottery winners?  Mar 15 2017, 04:16:06 PM

thebookofwhizzer said: "I would like to say thank you to whoever wrote about TodayTix because I found out they have my city and I can enter for shows near me! 

"That's great news for you, they really have been awesome for me here in Los Angeles!

Ticket Lottery winners?  Mar 9 2017, 06:41:55 AM

My experience has been in Los Angeles only, but it has been a good one so....

All the shows this season at the Ahmanson have had a $19.67 lottery through today tix. 

First I won for the Ivo Van Hove "A View From The Bridge". First row, great seats

Then "Amelie", 4th row center

And last week "Fun Home", front row dead center

Ive read a lot of complaints about TodayTix in New York, but they have been great to me with the

Dear Evan Hansen issue...  Feb 28 2017, 04:54:35 PM

3NU said: "This is a really fascinating discussion, and it's interesting that people are coming away with so many different interpretations.

Here's my take on it:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I think the crux of DEH lies in "Words Fail":

I guess I thought I could be part of this
I never had this kind of thing before

I never had that perfect girl
Who somehow could see the good part of me

I never had the dad who stuck it out
No corny jokes or baseball gloves
No mom who just was there
'Cause mom was all that she had to be

That's not a worthy explanation
I know there is none
Nothing can make sense of all these things I've done

Words fail, words fail
There's nothing I can say
Except sometimes, you see everything you wanted
And sometimes, you see everything you wish you had
And it's right there, right there, right there
In front of you
And you want to believe it's true
So you... make it true
And you think maybe everybody wants it
And needs it... a little bit... too

This is really the first time that Evan admits the truth to both the Murphys and himself: that he intentionally took advantage of a horrible situation to make himself "belong", justifying to himself that his actions were appropriate because he was "helping the Murphys".

Building on this is the recurring theme of sun, which represents truth, love, acceptance, etc.

From "Waving Through the Window":

Step out, step out of the sun
If you keep getting burned
Step out, step out of the sun
Because you've learned, because you've learned

Here Evan tells himself the lie that stepping out in the sun will only get himself burned, perpetually leaving himself "waving through the window".  However, upon Connor's death, Evan feels he can create (i.e., lie about) a life that will bring him into the sun.  

From "For Forever":

All we see is light for forever
'Cause the sun shines bright for forever
Life will be alright for forever this way
Two friends on a perfect day

And there he goes
Racing toward the tallest tree
From far across the yellow field I hear him calling "follow me"
And there we go
Wondering how the world might look from up so high

One foot after the other
One branch then to another
I climb higher and higher
I climb until the entire
Sun shines on my face

"Words Fail" is a turning point for Evan; he realizes that the sun he was creating through his lie is not true light (i.e., truth):

'Cause what if everyone saw?
What if everyone knew?
Would they like what they saw?
Or would they hate it too?
Will I just keep on running away from what's true?

All I ever do is run
So how do I step in
Step into the sun?
Step into the sun

In the end, Evan learns that being himself is enough and that seeking out a sun of his own making is never truly going to bring him joy:

EVAN (spoken)
Dear Evan Hansen,?
Today is going to be a good day. And here's why: because today, today at least you're you and—that's enough.?

COMPANY (sung)
All we see is sky for forever
We let the world pass by for forever
Feels like we could go on for forever this way
This way

All we see is light
Watch the sun burn bright
We could be alright for forever
This way

All we see is sky for forever

EVAN
All I see is sky for forever?

Evan's repetition of the company's line is what hammers the point home here.  These lyrics are, of course, a neat juxtaposition of those used in "For Forever" -- the same lyrics with completely different meanings.

Overall, I found the messages of seeing oneself as enough (and the dangers of creating a lie of a life that you think will make you happy in order to feel "enough" to be wonderfully lyrical and immensely moving.  Moreover, the integration of social media is incredibly apt, as it illustrates a person's ability, especially in this day and age, to mobilize, feed, and be reaffirmed by a movement that one creates (in this case, The Connor Project) and the way that social media has a life of its own that reacts to circumstances swiftly and unabashedly, regardless of truth (e.g., the high praise for Evan and the nasty tear-downs of the Murphys).

I absolutely disagree with the argument that the musical justifies Evan's actions because they eventually helped the Murphys cope with their grief.  I believe Evan already hit rock bottom and learned to forgive himself prior to meeting with Zoe in the final scene.  Moreover, Evan knows well enough that the Murphys could easily have exposed him, yet they chose not to.  They also chose to seek healing amongst the horrible things that happened to them.  It gave the Murphys agency, and they used that agency to show Evan grace and love.

My only gripe with the musical -- and I believe there's not really anything the musical's creators could have done about it -- is that most of the songs are hard to take at face value in the context of the narrative.  "Sincerely, Me" is hilarious, but also totally not in the context of the narrative.  "If I Could Tell Her" and "Only Us" are beautiful but also creepily emotionally manipulative (again, in the context of the narrative).  "You Will Be Found" is an inspiring piece but also (once again, in the context of the narrative) falsely inspiring because it's based on a lie.  I saw a highly-"liked" YouTube comment on "You Will Be Found" that claims the (spoken) lyric of "I know someone who really needed to hear this today, so thank you Evan Hansen", was incredibly powerful.  Yet, this lyric is immensely ironic in context.  (It's also immensely ironic how well-"liked" this comment was on YouTube.)

Then again, I felt the same way about "Let It Go" from Frozen.  While most people find the song inspiring, I can only see it in the context of the narrative, which is Elsa saying, "Screw you, I can do whatever I want to this kingdom -- including FREEZING IT OVER -- because everyone has stopped me from using my special powers before.  BUT NO MORE. Just you watch me..."

^^^This^*^*^ 

is is precisely the reason I started this thread.  Beautifully laid out and nice analysis about this wonderful piece of theater.  Thank you for your input. 

"

Dear Evan Hansen issue...  Feb 28 2017, 03:53:28 PM

dramamama611 said: "I think the message has little to do with social media. It's that everyone needs acceptance,  and when you are marginalized it can lead to bad choices. All of the characters, aside from the rest of Connors family, feel marginalized and are looking for a way to stop "waving from a window" and BE.

And yes, bad things can lead to good.

I completely disagree   This show brings to the forefront the reality of

Dear Evan Hansen issue...  Feb 26 2017, 09:27:38 PM

asmith0307 said: "Why would you assume that Evan would spread the letter around? Given, i haven't seen it since 2ST, but I seem to remember Evan being embarrassed ANYONE saw the letter. Am I wrong?

But Connor doesn't know Evan would be embarrassed, Connor leaves the computer lab saying that Evan was going to use the letter to make everyone think Connor was crazy.

Dear Evan Hansen issue...  Feb 26 2017, 07:51:14 PM

Ok, so does anyone else take issue with the fact that

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Evan Hansen not only perpetrates what is clearly stated in the show, but that he also is directly responsible for Conner's death?  Conner killed himself rather than face the school because he assumed Evan would

Dear Evan Hansen Cast Album  Feb 1 2017, 09:40:54 AM

Has anyone heard of this is going to be released on vinyl?  Fingers crossed...,????

Popular Shows Unlikely for a Broadway Revival  Jan 29 2017, 08:05:12 AM

^^^^This.

Popular Shows Unlikely for a Broadway Revival  Jan 28 2017, 04:00:59 PM

I would love, love, love a chance to see Parade, but I think it is both cost prohibitive and a bit too "real" for today's audiences to be a viable concern on Broadway.

Comedically Misheard Lyrics  Jan 16 2017, 03:09:31 AM

From "Tear Me Down" in Hedwig, I always thought the chorus started, "And I'm easy, never serious...". I then learned it's "Enemies and adversaries..."

Personally, I like mine better ??

So Long Matilda  Dec 27 2016, 09:04:25 PM

So the tour is starting back up here in Costa Mesa in January, and I am wondering (hoping) some of the Broadway cast might join the tour for a while?  I would love to see Lesli Margherita in it, she was divine in Hunchback last summer...

nudity on broadway  Dec 27 2016, 03:22:46 AM

I seem to remember the play Closer with Natasha Richardson having some nudity, but I could be misremembering.  Can anyone confirm?

Ben Platt for Best Actor?  Dec 27 2016, 03:18:45 AM

Wouldn't Jon Jon Briones be nominated for Best Featured Actor?  Is that a leading role?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You