News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for belrowley

Member Name: belrowley
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Great Comet appreciation thread
 Sep 6 2017, 08:57:13 AM

Nooooooo those photos are heartbreaking. The reality of this production being gone forever just hit me like a ton of bricks, ugh.

I'm glad that I got to witness this comet shining for a brief moment in time. Hope it continues to blossom into a new life.

Who's going to Comet's final performance?
 Sep 4 2017, 09:07:15 AM

I couldn't find a ticket to the final performance, so I settled for a banquette seat for the Wednesday matinee instead. After Wednesday's performance, I stopped by the box office to see if any tickets to the final performance opened up. They had a stage left box seat left - and I grabbed it.

I'm so glad I made that impulsive decision, because my God, what a performance. The crowd was electric from the start. The others in my box were related to two of the ensemble members, and it was wonderful to see how proud they were to be there.

The moment Dave Malloy entered with the accordion was honestly magical. The standing ovation went on for so long, and I could see all the cast members getting emotional. The applauses kept coming throughout - every character intro during "Prologue" got applauses, "Charming" had three different applause breaks, and Lucas Steele and Grace McLean had mid-song applauses as well. The pause after Pierre's "WHOOAAAA" during "The Abduction" was wild. I really thought the theater would cave in from the cheers.

Even though our view was frequently obstructed with performers running up and down the stairs to the mezz, I really loved my box seat. It was the perfect midway point between being immersed in the show and getting a good overall look. I finally got to see all the awesome mezz action (especially that haunting choir during "Dust and Ashes" and our box got some extra love from the cast (I got a pierogi and a love letter, Katrina Yaukey leaned into the box to make out with her guest during "The Duel," and Ashley Perez Flanagan held hands with her mom during the final number).

Other special moments from the show:

- Blaine Alden Krauss was a wonderful Andrey/Bolkonsky. So glad I got to catch him in the role.

- Grace McLean came up to our box during the "Duel" in her leather catsuit and shook her butt in my face. It was incredible.

- Dave missing the cowbell during "The Abduction" was the best laugh of the night. He looked so confused by his own mistake, lol.

- Denee and Dave both sounded like they were choking back sobs during their final numbers. Dave crying as his face was illuminated by the comet was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

- I had a great view of Rachel Chavkin watching the show. The Natasha/Princess Mary moment happened at her table and she seemed to be having a great time. The moment Dave started his part in "Pierre & Natasha," she started crying.

- Lucas held that "Abduction" note for a million years. The crowd went crazy, and when they stopped, he motioned for them to continue, ha. Him leading the audience to sing along to the "Goodbye, gypsy lovers" part was a wonderful moment.

I could honestly go on and on. It was just pure magic from start to finish. I'm still heartbroken over the closing, but I'm glad they got to go out on a blaze.

BREAKING: Mandy Patinkin Withdraws from THE GREAT COMET
 Aug 4 2017, 01:54:32 AM

Dave28282 said: "Instead of being grateful about being treated as any other human being, we end up with this thankless hysteria. Which is a 1 way street. So if we can't be happy with being treated equal, as humans, where will it end? To differentiate yourself/your race in such a drastical way, without accepting to be treated as anyone else, will make producers in the future really think twice before hiring a black person. If they will not see themselves as human and behave as ent

Falsettos
 Jul 16 2017, 01:29:14 AM

I went to a screening in downtown LA today and it was packed. The crowd was super enthused and receptive, and applauded after nearly every number. Pretty much everyone was sobbing by the end - a lady sitting near me was passing around a box of tissues near the end, haha.

I had tickets for the Broadway run but got snowed out in New Jersey on the day of my show and missed it. I'm glad I finally got to see this beautiful production - the cinematography/editing were gorgeous and t

The Great Comet afterlife
 Jul 11 2017, 09:18:07 PM

Mimi Lien (the scenic designer) said they could restore the theater to its original condition in a matter of hours. I think the set pieces were specifically designed so they could be placed/removed easily.

@leighmiserables - yeah, I guess Chavkin wouldn't want to be pigeonholed as a niche director. I never had the chance to see Hadestown, but I loved the concept album/recording, and it'd be cool if they could use some of the staging left over from TGC. But I agree

The Great Comet afterlife
 Jul 11 2017, 08:48:37 PM

I'd love to see Hadestown makes use of the immersive staging. And Amber Gray could stay at the Imperial.

But really, I don't want it to happen any time soon. I adore the Great Comet, and I hope things turn around for a healthy run.

Most Vocally Demanding Roles
 Jun 27 2017, 01:48:02 AM

I love that Dave Malloy wrote Anatole's final notes in "Pierre & Anatole" as a joke, and Lucas Steele still pulled it off. I was in awe of him when I saw the show a few weeks ago. I can't imagine sprinting up and down the stairs while sustaining those insane notes in addition to playing the violin, dancing, doing improv with the audience, etc.

La LuPone gives her unvarnished opinion of Donald Trump
 May 21 2017, 05:25:50 AM

theaterguy11 said:

"I simply disagree. Barack was not even well known in a single state until late 2004."

I'm sure the state of Illinois knew who he was.

"He went from an absolute nobody to "president" within 4 short years."

Do US senators count as being "absolute nobodies" now? And before then he was a community organizer, a law professor, and a state senator, but I guess that's not as prestigi

AMÉLIE Previews
 Mar 28 2017, 06:54:54 PM

Markecib said: "For me one of the best moments was toward the end were the female characters ask Nino his intentions. It broke up the monotony. "

Interesting. I really disliked that number because I thought it was bizarre to place it in the middle of the musical's climax. For me, it stopped the show in the tracks - why would you build up to momentum to the lead characters finally meeting each other, and then have a random song about the side characters compl

Miss Saigon Previews Thread
 Mar 10 2017, 07:27:37 PM

I think the context is important. I don't believe that the original creative team (or that of Madame Butterfly) intentionally set out to depict a hurtful portrayal of Asians. Perhaps they really wanted to showcase the horrors of war, and how Asian women in particular suffered through these times. But you have to look at who is telling the story. Was an all-white creative/producing team the best choice to capture this complicated dynamic? Are the Asian characters being treated with empathy

Question about Eliza at the end of Hamilton *spoilers*
 Feb 24 2017, 08:22:22 PM

showtimeshowtime said: "I always thought it was Eliza breaking the fourth wall and seeing the audience, finally reassured that she successfully told the story. Personally that's the more heartbreaking conclusion..."

Yeah, that's been the most popular interpretation. She's clearly died at that point - Hamilton gestures her towards the audience, she looks at the impact she made by telling his story, and she gasps.

Site-specific stagings
 Jan 6 2017, 03:50:55 PM

I just saw the Irish Rep's production of The Dead, which was staged at the Irish Historical Society's beautiful townhouse and served a recreation of the meal from the story. I'd love to see the musical version staged similarly.

Is Telly Leung The Next Prince Ali in Aladdin?
 Jan 6 2017, 03:38:11 PM

Aladdin is described as Chinese in One Thousand and One Nights, but the original text is an Orientalist imagining of a fictitious China (basically what Arab people thought China looked like). Some scholars argue that Aladdin might have been Uyghur (a Muslim minority group in China). Although all the stories in the anthology are from the Arabic tradition, they can't really be traced back to a specific origin, so there's some room for ambiguity there, hence the pan-Asian casting.

Rush/Standing Room for the final Color Purple performance
 Jan 6 2017, 01:02:47 AM

Robbyne said: "Do you have any idea if they sell the $59 tickets ahead of time, or just the day of? "

I didn't see those tickets online, so they might have only been offered to the rush line. But seeing how the remaining performances are basically sold out, I don't know if the box office is holding back any seats at this point. It might be a good idea to check directly with them.

Kate Burton to Star In Immersive THE DEAD Production
 Jan 6 2017, 12:08:50 AM

I finally saw the show last week. I'd been entering the lottery and losing everyday, then I checked the ticketing site and found out that there was one single ticket left for the entirety of the run. I took it as a sign and bought it. It was more than I ever spent on a show, but it was so worth it.

The best part of the production was definitely its immersive nature. "The Dead" is one of my favorite stories of all time, and it was wonderful to see it come to life. My favor

Jan 5 2017, 10:48:36 PM

Robbyne said: "Thank you all so much for the info!! How much are sro tickets?"

SRO is only $30, and the view was pretty fantastic. You do have the mezzanine overhang, but it doesn't really obstruct anything except some of the scenery near the top. I felt close enough to see all the performers' expressions, and it felt even more intimate because the audience was so into it. You could have heard a pin drop.

The show is in great shape, by the way. Cy

Jan 5 2017, 03:57:49 PM

I rushed the show around 7:30 AM yesterday and there were close to 50 people before me. I figured I had zero chance, but I did end up getting two SRO tickets for the evening show. They were offering $59 tickets as well. But if you want to be safe, I'd suggest getting in line way before then.

In need of hilarious audition song for teen female
 Dec 28 2016, 12:06:54 AM

"Popular" from Wicked

Matilda Rush
 Dec 27 2016, 12:24:12 AM

I rushed last week around 8:30, AM and there were about three people in front of me. We got side orchestra but the view wasn't that restricted. There was a pretty long line by 10 and I don't think that people at the end of the line got in.

Fiddler Rush Recently
 Dec 23 2016, 03:42:11 AM

I rushed on Thursday and got to the box office around 10:45. Unfortunately, they only had single rush tickets left, so my friend and I ended up sitting separately. I talked to the ushers about possibly being reseated but they said it was a full house, and it certainly looked like it. Keep in mind that there are a lot of tourists for the holidays and people want to catch the show before it closes.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You