News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for KingOPancakes

Member Name: KingOPancakes
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
 Jan 19 2017, 07:00:41 PM

Quick question about James Monroe Iglehart coming in to play Laffayete/Jefferson. Until this point, these roles have always been filled by athletic guys in their late 20s / early 30s but James is a larger man in his 40s. 

Do Broadway shows frequently change choreography/staging for new cast members, or can we expect James to jump off the desk in "Guns and Ships" and hop over the table in "The Reynolds Pamphlet"?

Obviousl

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
 Jan 11 2017, 10:01:18 PM

@JudyDenmark Very nice write-up. I'm fascinated by just how different your two experiences were. 

Like you, I've been fortunate enough to have seen the show both from the back of the house and from the front row. While I loved the show each time, I agree that seeing it up close and personal is a COMPLETELY different experience. 

Were there any bright spots in your first viewing?  Not many were lucky enough to see

Jan 5 2017, 03:47:08 PM

RussT2 said: "Oy. I've had these tickets for 9 months and I'm seeing the lead's FIRST performance in the show?

I'm hoping he's good.
"

I enjoyed him when I saw him play Mulligan/Madison, for what it's worth.  Check back after the show, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Jan 5 2017, 03:35:04 PM

A conversation about who gave the better performance in a specific role quickly devolves into "It's Mandy Gonzalez because she has a proven track record of being the better singer in other shows and if you disagree with me you're wrong and therefore must be a tween".

As a broadway outsider who just checks the board for Hamilton updates, the amount of melodrama here is amusing.

Jan 5 2017, 01:30:50 PM

ljay889 said:
Mandy might not be as good with the rapping, but she could (and does) outsing Renee in the role. Renee has a lovely voice, but Mandy is a powerhouse vocalist. 

"

I had the pleasure of seeing Renee once and Mandy twice and I couldn't disagree more.  Renee's Angelica stood out while Mandy's vocals cause Angelica to blend into the background.

Jan 4 2017, 10:32:45 AM

Was lucky enough to win the lottery last month and got to see Jevon McFerrin go on for Mulligan/Madison.  He was very good, but that's a big step up to play Hamilton.  I'd be interested in hearing what people think of his performance.

Also... is the lack of a Lafayette/Jefferson announcement driving anyone else as crazy as it is me?  I thought Seth Stewart was just covering the role until the end of the year?

Dec 2 2016, 10:30:25 AM

"is the general conseus that Lexi Lawson is the weak link?"

I'm in the minority here.  I've seen Lexi twice and thought she did a fine job.  My most recent trip I saw Mandy as Angelica and was let down.  She didn't command your attention like Renee did so Satisfied just seemed like another song instead of the powerful emotional moment it should be.  However, she DID go higher at the end on "...and the hope that you provide. May you ALWAYS.

Nov 20 2016, 10:12:07 PM

So my second performance is now in the books and I have to say, Michael Luwoye is absolutely brilliant. It kills me to think he only goes on stage once each week. BVD was phenomenal again as well. 

My first time was Renee's last day and now I got to see Anthony's last performance. The crowd went crazy when he first came out and gave him a wonderful ovation during curtain calls.  He ripped his wig off during his bows and everyone laughed.&n

Sep 6 2016, 11:15:46 AM

@MyLife - I agree 100% about wanting to see Andrew Chappelle as Lafayette/Jefferson.  The roles seem better suited to both his personality and his voice vs Mulligan/Madison.  If there is not a Laf/Jeff full time replacement when I go again in November, I would really love to see Andrew do it.

Also, I think you were able to better express what I was trying to say about Thayne's performance, and in hindsight I was probably too hard on him.  I did enjoy hi

Sep 3 2016, 11:11:01 PM

So I just got home from today's matinee and want to report back. My apologies for the long-winded post, but I have so many thoughts right now I just need to get them out of my head and into the ether.  

Sat Orchestra row A seat 12, so as far stage left (I think) as you can get. Because of the angle I missed anything that happened up top on that side (Washington during "Non-Stop", George Eaker at the play during "Blow Us All Away", etc). Also,

Sep 1 2016, 11:40:43 PM

BroadwayConcierge said: "www.parkwhiz.com will save you plenty of stress. Basically reserve a spot in advance.

"

Had no idea that was an option. Thank you so much! Found a place just a block away. Super easy!

Sep 1 2016, 09:04:47 PM

I apologize for getting slightly off topic, but I just picked up a Saturday 9/3 matinee ticket and now I'm panicking about parking. If I show up at noon on Saturday will I have trouble finding a spot in a garage close to The Richard Rodgers? I've never really had to park in the city so I have no idea what to expect. 

Hamilton in Chicago
 Aug 27 2016, 10:23:42 PM

For what it's worth, I just saw Book of Mormon at The PrivateBank Theater a couple weeks ago. I did a ton of research about seating beforehand and despite everything I read, our groups consensus was to buy balcony seats despite online reviews saying the view wasn't great. I'm happy to report that even 5 rows from the back of the house we had a fantastic view. So, much like what I've read about the Richard Rodgers, I think most people will be happy with their seats no matt

Aug 26 2016, 11:19:28 AM

Jmjazz said: "Gonna pipe in here.  I definitely did not like Alysha D (can't spell her last name. Sorry) who covered for Jasmine Cephas Jones the night I saw the show.  Once you've seen Jasmine in the role .... there's just no comparison. She has the loveliest voice.

"

This surprises me.  I've watched a few youtube videos of Alysha Deslorieux singing Satisfied and Burn and thought she was phenomenal.  Was hopin

Jul 27 2016, 07:56:02 PM

Sorry to interject but this seemed like the best thread to pose my odd question. I have no experience with theater and have never seen a Broadway show but I've been obsessed with Hamilton for 6 months now. I managed to score tickets for a November Sunday matinee when they were released a few months ago and I'm taking my Mother and sister who know absolutely nothing about Hamilton. Would it be better to introduce them to the cast recording during a 14 hour road trip

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You