News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for oknazevad

Member Name: oknazevad
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

49 years ago today at the Uris (Gershwin) Theater...
 Nov 9 2022, 11:05:05 PM

Another fairly successful run there was Roundabout's previous revival of 1776 (the one with Brent Spiner as John Adams) which transferred there after first opening at Criterion Center Stage Right, Roundabout's home base at the time. Huge venue for the production, but it ran for some six months after having already run for three at the much smaller venue. 

How would you spend David Geffen's money?
 Nov 1 2022, 12:52:01 PM

fashionguru_23 said: "oknazevad said: "Lavieboheme3090 said: "There is boarded up Broadway theater next to the Lyric, and with less than 1% of that money we could have a restored Broadway theater."

The Times Square Theatre is not viable for a modern Broadway theatre as it doesn't have any sort of rear entrance on 43rd for load-ins. That's why it's being converted to a retail space. The Liberty Theatre across the street, with its stag

How would you spend David Geffen's money?
 Nov 1 2022, 12:01:56 AM

Lavieboheme3090 said: "There is boarded up Broadway theater next to the Lyric, and with less than 1% of that money we could have a restored Broadway theater."

The Times Square Theatre is not viable for a modern Broadway theatre as it doesn't have any sort of rear entrance on 43rd for load-ins. That's why it's being converted to a retail space. The Liberty Theatre across the street, with its stage door on 41st, is far more likely to return to theatre use.&

What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
 Sep 17 2022, 09:21:10 PM

Back in 1998 my college choir went to London for spring break. Bunch of us went to see The Buddy Holly Story, a revival of which was playing on the West End. The lead playing Buddy was a dead ringer and really embodied the man. Don't have to take my word for it either. That was the exact verdict offered by the real-life Buddy Holly's widow. Who was there that day. None of us knew that was going to happen. It was cool.

50th Anniversary Revival of A CHORUS LINE still on track for 2025?
 Sep 17 2022, 07:05:14 PM

Jarethan said: "blaxx said: "I would love to see the finale with an approach where, after that long audition, we see a female Broadway diva up front, and the dancers singing "One" to her, fading in her shadow.

This to show the heart breaking reality of being in an ensemble where the leads in the chorus are really destined to remain in the back of the stage.
"

Just reading this...I always felt that that was a miss in the original produ

Spotlight On Broadway Videos
 Sep 17 2022, 05:16:29 AM
Indeed. One of them has been renamed after a major renovation (James Earl Jones), one of them has been physically raised two stories (the Palace, which is still not yet opened), and one current theatre doesn't even have a video because it only returned to Broadway use five years ago. Definitely time for an update.
Phantom Closing?
 Sep 17 2022, 05:01:23 AM
And another thing that was mentioned some when the London changes were made was that many of the significant moving parts of the show's set are getting very worn out after three and a half decades of constant use. That means more frequent and more involved maintenance calls for stagehands to fix things. More hands doing significantly longer hours is a significant cost, one that's only been increasing. Basically, after all this time, it needs to shut down for set renovation no matter what.
Bad or odd set designs
 Sep 4 2018, 03:34:38 PM

TheSassySam said: "I felt as if Anastasia, Mean Girls & Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cut corners with the set design in favor to appeal to touring houses.

The only shows I have seen benefit from heavy projection design are Dear Evan Hansen & American Psycho.
"

i think you nailed it. Projections travel well, and those shows most definitely have been produced with the intent to tour either post-Broadway or concurrently i

Jeff Loeffelholz suicide news coverage
 Jul 9 2018, 08:21:05 AM

SeanD2 said: "mariel9 said: "The thing about "they couldn't have known he was suicidal/depressed/vulnerable" is that, no, you don't always know what someone is dealing with. Treating people with decency costs nothing. If you can't do your job without bullying or abuse, you are not good at your job. Someone who bullies or abuses a vulnerable person (even unknowingly) is partly responsible for the outcome, morally if not legally."

Thi

NBC's next live musical...
 May 10 2017, 05:29:48 PM

Plannietink08 said: "PatrickDC said: "I'm sure this will be heavily advertised to the Bible Belt, including churches sponsoring viewing parties, etc. So the idea of casting Adam Lambert, Pink, Lady Gaga, or any celebs with what are considered UnChristian or unorthodox views on gender and sexuality will not be involved. I think given the proposed audience the country music industry might be heavily recruited for talent. 

I forget, what were the ratings lik

NBC's next live musical...
 May 10 2017, 05:23:21 PM

kaykordeath said: "Bruno Mars for Judas!"

That's actually not a bad idea. We know he can sing and dance, and has great stage presence, but can he act? And would he be willing to take the time out of his very busy touring schedule. Seriously, the guy (and his superb band) play like 250 shows a year. 

China has ripped off The Book of Mormon
 Feb 4 2017, 10:09:01 AM

Parody does not need to mocking the original source material (hell, most of Weird Al's parody songs have lyrics that have nothing to do with the original song at all). Nor does it need to acknowledge the original material, either (though it's often considered a courtesy). So, there's nothing here at all. Try again to generate outrage based on something worthwhile. 

What has been the worst January for Broadway closures?
 Jan 1 2017, 09:44:24 PM

It's just a cyclical point where the fall season has ended. Fall limited runs are ending. That's not a sign of bad box office business, as they're planned closures. The other closings are a sign of box office downturn for those shows, obviously, but the timing is based on trying to get some more holiday season sales and the need to vacate the theatres for the next load in for spring shows.

I would expect this to be a trend in future years, based on what we ha

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
 Dec 18 2016, 09:31:58 PM

After Eight: proving time and again one can be a pompous self-important bore and an unintelligent arrogant twit simultaneously. 

Are crew members on Broadway?
 Dec 17 2016, 09:13:49 PM

From the stagehand's perspective, yes they are. Largely because the hourly rate for working at a Broadway theatre is much better than off-Broadway or television work. Though there's a difference between being on a show call (run crew) and a load in. 

The BWW Redesign of December 2016
 Dec 17 2016, 05:37:29 PM

I would just like to say that this seems a missed opportunity to add a much-needed "last unread post" button to each thread. Makes following a board like this much easier. 

Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson
 Dec 14 2016, 10:29:35 AM

ljay889 said: "JPeterman said: "ljay889 said: "I called them and they answered immediately. My ticket is confirmed, even though I didn't receive an email yet."

I had the same issue, a confirmation number popped up when I made the purchase, but I still have not received an email confirmation or etickets about 9 hours later.  I guess I will call tomorrow like you did, ljay.
"

I still haven

Shows that are successful out of town but flop on Broadway?
 Dec 10 2016, 01:05:55 AM

Sunny11 said: "Financialy speaking some of  the factors of success are different out of town compared to Broadway.

• Limited run vs open run
  • Smaller house vs a larger one
  • lower competition from other shows for audiences
  • Cheaper ticket prices out of town 

A like for like comparison can't always be made.

"

The the latter two are definitely a factor. Not sure about the first

Mike Pence Gets
 Nov 19 2016, 12:43:30 PM
Pence is a theocratic, homophobic, willfully ignorant bigot. His vision of America is the same as Iran and Saudi Arabia, a theocracy ruled by a wealthy self-appointed elite ruling according to their interpretation of an ancient storybook. He deserves no apology and no respect. Just a swift ouster from office.
PBS Masterpiece to Adapt King Charles III for TV
 Nov 8 2016, 11:08:22 PM

The classic rule is that the new monarch can choose any one of their baptismal names as regnal name. So Charles Philip Arthur George could be Charles III, Philip (the First), Arthur (the First; the legendary king doesn't count) or George VII. He would choose, but I think he'd go with Charles. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You