News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for toguy

Member Name: toguy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The end of Dancap in Toronto?
 Jul 24 2010, 12:14:36 AM
Most of the staff laid off since there will be nothing to sell... my bet is Dancap is done.

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20100723.escenic_1650477/BNStory/Entertainment/

Jersey Boys Toronto will close Aug. 22
 Jul 24 2010, 12:03:07 AM
And so it goes: Dancap lays of 30 as there is 'nothing to sell'

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20100723.escenic_1650477/BNStory/Entertainment/

Jul 8 2010, 01:18:42 AM
Here's the problem with any possible extension:

-Quinn (Bob) was suppose to leave on the 29th, and Dan (Tommy) a week later -I think. These guys would either have to agree to stay on longer or a decision would have to be made really quick as to whether an extension would occur so they could be replaced and rehearsals for those replacements could start.

-Although many shows in Toronto and elsewhere have successfully done a 'we're closing' and 'extended by popular de

Jul 8 2010, 12:24:04 AM
fashionguru_23- fair enough, but I still think he's out of business.
 Jul 7 2010, 11:50:05 PM
#1- Jersey Boys is a cheap show to run and it never ran below the nut.

#2- Another unfortunate casualty of the closing: my friend tells me Jermey Kushnier was in contract negotiations to return as Tommy until January.

Now that would have been a proper send off.

Jul 5 2010, 10:46:40 AM
You just may be very right. I was told that there are shows in August that still haven't sold a ticket!

It's a shocker he could let it get to that point.

Jul 5 2010, 02:20:37 AM
yep, that's a good starting point and only perpetuates my point that the closing is a knee-jerk foolish reaction. The balcony, to my knowledge, was never taken off sale (spare maybe one or two days).

PS- have a look at a dancap pricing chart on their website- it's absolutely ridiculous! There are 5 price points in the orchestra alone!

Jul 5 2010, 02:03:04 AM
Tag, true- but if they all signed contracts saying X # of hrs. a week , I bet you can't get out of that!

And a final addition- Why 8 shows? Simply because it's the maximum allowed by equity. There is no other reason.

Tourboi- closing off a seating section does not produce the desired effect- which is making the show look busier than it is. You may be right about the advance, and with the departing cast members he thought the anniversary was a good time to close.

Jul 5 2010, 01:54:18 AM
I don't want to stomp on what seems like a lovely closing message from you on the topic tourboi, but... my point was sales really weren't dropping off, they were just the same (around 55%) for probably almost 6 months now. Of course slightly busier on the weekend, so to throw out the show was just the wrong way to wind down a great run- and agreed, congrats...

As for 5 or 6 shows a week- yes, you are paying the same rate for unions (I'm sure there would be no concession) and you are not

Jul 4 2010, 11:38:03 PM
Tourboi- a commercial producer eh? every producer gives advice. I guess I don't have to tell you that few lead producers or general managers listen to them, but they have to seem interested, since the money came from them. Experienced marketing and GM companies handle these aspects. Bottom line remains- dancaptickets.com will have nothing on it.

fashionguru_23- An official Next to Normal announcement has never been made. Aubrey also has money in Wicked, which of course Mirvish is br

Jul 4 2010, 03:54:50 PM
Ok, first of all, I do believe Tag was being sarcastic, and you're being serious. There is a difference between a producer and investor. Dancap is an investor in Memphis (with producing credit) and has nothing to do with the day to day operations of the show- including selling tickets.

Second- this is theatre. Things are planned out a year in advance. Look at Mirvish's last two announcements- Billy Elliot and Lion King- both announced A YEAR IN ADVANCE. You don't plop things down with

Jul 4 2010, 11:36:58 AM
Tourboi-

On September 6- will I be able to buy a ticket to a Dancap show?

Jul 4 2010, 01:27:36 AM
He goes up- where does he go on Broadway?
 Jul 4 2010, 01:24:16 AM
I have read about the second national tour too. one of those two companies will do the Canadian stops.

And I'm sure Mirvish would have not brought Happy Days the Musical, an obscure Off-Broadway show, a "regional" production and a non-equity production to Toronto, so yes, you are right fashionguru_23.

As I mentioned on the Toronto board- there is one thing you have to do every day in business and that is sell something, so technically, by the end of August he'll be out of busi

Jul 3 2010, 10:39:49 AM
Tag- good to know about the set

Hubee- 1/2 empty at $45 or $50 avg. ticket price in Toronto is a lot different than sold out on broadway at $111 avg. Yes it's both 900 seats, but under $500,000 in Toronto and over $1 million on Broadway.

I heard at one point the show needed 400 people to cover the nut, but that shouldn't be your goal...

Very important quote too:
"Plus, have you BEEN to Yonge and 401 at Rush Hour? It takes 20 min. just to get off the freeway or int

Jul 3 2010, 01:42:08 AM
Agreed tourboi- Garth always said "nothing attacks a crowd like a crowd". Aubrey never had a crowd, he had a group.

Garth also knew the importance of Americans and would send buses down to pick them up. But Americans haven't been coming to shows in Toronto like they did during Phantom and Lion King days since SARS and border tightening- so I'll let him slide on that.

But the show was always marketed without a purpose. The same 30 second commercial on radio and TV with differe

Jul 3 2010, 12:33:44 AM
- I doubt they recouped in Toronto. They were spending a crap load on constant TV adverts, which by all accounts only seemed to piss off people - or so ppl's tweets tell me. The show limped along for its entire run and only ran at near capacity last summer from what I hear.
-I think the Sound of Music in Toronto had a testimonial section on their site.
-The TCA is a beautiful theatre in a horrible location. Yes, it is convenient for the majority of the GTA population but it is way ou

Jul 2 2010, 03:52:44 PM
I would be surprised if Rock Of Ages is not too far behind in leaving town- a quick search on Ticketking shows loads of empty seats and the upper balcony is closed for most shows...

Jul 2 2010, 03:01:00 PM
Surprised no one has posted this yet:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/140864-Toronto-Jersey-Boys-to-Close-in-August

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You