News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Evita@theBroadway

Evita@theBroadway Profile Photo
Member Name: Evita@theBroadway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Karen Olivo Out Of Moulin Rouge Sat Night - No Audience Notice
 Oct 7 2019, 09:08:48 AM

To answer a few questions:

1. Yes, Danny was out on Saturday night as well.

2. No, the paper listing the cast did not fall out of my playbill. The insert lists Saturday's date, has Danny's understudy going on, but still lists Karen Olivo as going on for Satine.

I took an extra Playbill to bring to a friend since I was visiting from out of town, and that one still had the same insert listing Karen going on as well. 

Oct 6 2019, 08:33:10 PM
HoganHero - I asked one of the House Staff and she responded, “Oh my god, I’m sorry. This should be listed on the insert.”

She then proceeded to apologize and tell me how they take stuff like this seriously.

Oct 6 2019, 08:13:41 PM

There was no way I saw the lobby board in the cattle call of the three metal detector lines to enter the Hirschfeld.

Here’s the thing - my Playbill insert had her listed as going on.  So that’s what was odd?

Oct 6 2019, 07:48:29 PM

Saw Moulin Rouge last night at 8 and was disappointed to see that Karen Olivo was out. However there was no notice in my playbill and no pre-show announcement made. I thought it was equity rules that you have to notify the audience if someone is out and also who will be going on in their place.

Am I wrong? For the record her understudy was awesome.

WEST SIDE STORY Tour
 Jun 6 2014, 09:26:47 AM
Hi there, I saw the production on Tuesday night in DC.

Overall, I loved this cast more than I did the 2008/2009 DC-tryout cast. That was mainly due to Matt Cavanaugh’s weak portrayal of Tony in 2008. That being said, they need to rectify how/when they want to incorporate Spanish into the production.

“I Feel Pretty” was sung (in alternating verses) in both languages for no logical reason. Laurents called the use of Spanish an “experiment” but it’s time for the experimen

LOVE NEVER DIES eyeing Broadway; Completely new ending?
 Mar 15 2014, 11:23:19 AM
I saw LND just a few performances after its London opening.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

When the ending happened, and Christine died, you could literally hear chuckles and laughter throughout the audience. The ending came off as a joke. And those who love the original Phantom were livid. Im convinced this show should not see the light of day again. Why ruin the original Phantom, especially since it means soooo much to so many theatergoers.

IF/THEN opening in DC tonight.
 Nov 7 2013, 11:09:14 AM
I’m typing this en route to the airport – apologies in advance for any typos!

I saw If/Then last night with a friend and we were very underwhelmed by the entire production.

Plot – For starters, the plot isn’t anything dynamic. A 39 year old woman moves to back to New York and takes a job doing – WAIT FOR IT – city planning/working for the MTA! Not exactly material that makes for a stirring drama.

One of the big issues I had with If/Then was that I really didn’t c

Miss Saigon at Signature DC
 Aug 22 2013, 02:47:00 PM
I saw it on Saturday night and it was fantastic, one of the best things I've ever seen at Signature. They've done a great job of moving the show away from spectacle, and back to focusing on the story of Kim and Chris. Furthermore, Thom Sesma (the Engineer), Diana Hey (Kim) and Erin Driscol (Ellen) were wonderful. Being a fan of the OBC, I was afraid that they wouldn't measure up Pryce and Salonga, but that's not the case here.

My full review can be found here: http://marqueepolitics.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/review-miss-saigon-at-signature-theatre/

Patti Lupone talks about Elena Roger in
 Jun 19 2013, 10:15:45 AM
I know I’m late to the discussion, but I thought this might be an interesting perspective. I’ve seen Lupone and Paige both sing “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina” in concert, and Elena Roger sing the song on Broadway twice. Out of all three, Elaine Paige was the best, no competition.

I think we get underwhelmed by her simply because the OLC was a VERY abbreviated version and the OBC was the entire show.
Talking with those who saw her, I hear she was unbelievable.

With Paige, I got the sense that she could not only sing the role, but act while singing (if that makes sense). Paige’s Eva was coming from a fusion of the heart and mind, whereas LuPone was simply portraying her as a power-hungry witch. Paige got all the emotions that made up Eva Peron and beautifully channeled them into “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” recognizing that this night was not only Eva’s triumph, but that much harder days lay ahead for her (and Juan).

What I’m constantly amazed by with Patti’s performance of Eva, both from the OBC and what I’ve seen of her in concert, is her dictation. It is so poor, I feel like Henry Higgins needs to come out and school her. Where was Hal Prince when she had this problem during 1979-80? I love this video of her because it is so true: http://youtu.be/XWGchv7kHzw

As for Roger, I felt like she played Eva as a politician, nothing wrong with that. But her accent and dictation will forever prohibit her from being remembered as one of the great Evas. Sad, because I really liked her performance. But unless you know every line of Evita, like I do, you frequently saying “what?” At least that was the case with the guests I took to see Evita on Broadway last year.

Anyway my two cents – Great thread!

'ANN' closing June 30th! :(
 Jun 13 2013, 09:59:13 AM
I saw ANN at the Kennedy Center and loved it, and that is saying something because I'm a Bush Republican. What I still can't figure out was who thought it was a good idea to have this show play the Vivian Beaumont? It seems like such a small show, to play such a large theater?

Anyway, Holland Taylor is fantastic in the show and this is such a labor of love. If you follow her on Twitter, than you see first hand how much she loves this show and its fans.

What I really apprecia

Anything Goes - National Tour (Kennedy Center)
 Jun 13 2013, 09:53:13 AM
I cannot agree more. This was my second time seeing the show, the first time was opening week on Broadway and I thought Rachel York was much better than Sutton Foster. I can't pinpoint why, but everything clicked with this tour. Line after line delivered, jokes were wonderful, and Rachel and Josh Franklin had perfect chemistry.

Kennedy Center
 Feb 27 2013, 11:25:28 AM
MCfan2, the Arena Stage Production cut the overture, miscast the role of Alfie Doolittle (which resulted in many of the shows best lines falling flat) and deflated the energy in showstoppers such as "Get Me To The Church On Time." The production had high and low moments, and very little in between.
Kennedy Center
 Feb 27 2013, 10:20:56 AM
Im actually not that excited about this concert version. This will be the second My Fair Lady to play DC in a span of 6 months, the first one being Arena Stages misguided production.

I just wish that if the Kennedy Center was going to do a concert version, they would choose a musical that isn't performed quite as often.

Cinderella Broadway Theatre Seating Advice
 Feb 20 2013, 09:52:57 AM
I’m looking to purchase tickets to Cinderella, but don’t want to break the bank. Can anyone give me seating advice for the Broadway Theater? I know the theatre is huge, but would sitting in the last row be a miserable experience? Again, I don’t want to spend upwards of $150 a seat, but I also want to enjoy the show.

Thanks in advance!

Elena Roger Stage Door Question
 Apr 4 2012, 11:42:03 AM
How is Elena Roger at the stage door of Evita. Im seeing the show on Saturday night, and would love to get her autograph. I really could care less about Ricky Martin, but meeting Elena would be awesome.
Last Row of the Schoenfeld Theatre
 Feb 22 2012, 12:11:44 PM
How is the last row of the Schoenfeld Theatre? I'm thinking of seeing 'The Best Man' on vacation in April, and these were the cheapest seats available.
Codes Not Working for Porgy and Bess
 Jan 12 2012, 11:14:35 AM
Does anyone had a working code for Porgy and Bess. Both the Broadway Box and Playbill codes aren't working? Help?
Question re: FOLLIES rush
 Jan 11 2012, 11:25:07 AM
Has anyone rushed lately on saturday? I'm thinking of rushing this saturday for the matinee, but my train doesn't get into Penn Station till 9:30 a.m.
Does Audra have an alternate?
 Jan 10 2012, 11:57:18 AM
Does Audra McDonald have an alternate for matinee performances of "Porgy and Bess." I want to see the matinee on Saturday, and wasn't sure if Audra does 8 shows a week. I remember when Porgy and Bess announced a run, there was talk of Audra only doing 6 shows a week.
Hurricane Irene and Broadway
 Aug 26 2011, 09:19:58 AM
For the record, I contacted Ticketmaster(I bought my Follies ticket from them) and they said that there will be no exchanges or refunds unless the show is cancelled. I told them the whole story about Hurricane Irene and was told that again, unless the show is cancelled there will be no exchanges/refunds.

I hope some influential person is reading this and understands that people are cancelling for a good reason.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You