News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Amaranth9

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Member Name: Amaranth9
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SMASH
 Nov 24 2011, 10:47:19 AM
I definitely will give the show a chance, but I am a bit hesitant that the premise seems to be McPhee's character = star while Hilty's character is someone who is experienced and dependable but needs to work on everything. While I am sure that both actresses can portray what is required of them and maybe there will be some plot developments that make one more likable than another, I am hesitant because that dynamic implies that McPhee's character is more deserving. (At least, all the promos cert
In The Heights...
 Jan 12 2010, 06:06:04 PM
^ I saw the tour last Friday in Hartford and did notice some changes in the dialogue, mostly in conversations with Nina. For example, when Nina arrives, Usnavi asks if she "kicked college ass" in California and she replies "More like I got mine handed to me on a silver platter" instead of offering this info on her own. Then, before "No Me Diga" she says "That's right" rather than "Oh no" when Daniela tells her the salon is closing. After she leaves, Vanessa says something different when they try
re: Huffington Post on In the Heights non-Latino Casting
 Dec 24 2009, 05:09:03 PM
I'm sorry but that article was lame, imo. I am not debating that money may have had a role in the casting, but if in auditions Bleu won over a skeptical Miranda and "smashed it" why shouldn't he play the role? I don't remember the driving force of the pr for this show being how it is a vehicle for Latino actors, but rather that it provides a voice for the Latino community, created by someone from it. Of course, it HAS been a vehicle for Latino actors and will continue to be so. But non-latino ac
re: BWW TV: Lin-Manuel Miranda Performs at the White House Poetry Jam
 Nov 2 2009, 11:34:27 PM
I loved his piece, intense but funny and showing kids that you can be inspired by a historical figure like Hamilton and still create something with your own flair that you can relate to. Is he serious about that concept album? Because I would check that out!

I love that the White House had an event like this. It's so small, but it makes me happy. And check out Mayda del Valle's performance- she always brings it!

re: 61st Primetime Emmy Awards Megathread
 Sep 20 2009, 08:04:17 PM

**Spoiler**

Congrats to Kristin!!! Her acceptance speech was heartfelt and funny. Also, I just want to add some more love to NPH. That opening was simple but great.

re: Does anyone have Stephanie J. Blocks CD, This Place I Know?
 Aug 3 2009, 07:34:00 PM
It's a great album. My favorites are I Will Always Love You, 15 Pounds, Smart Women, Invention and Something Beautiful.
re: Stephanie J. Block
 Jul 14 2009, 01:34:27 PM
I also had the pleasure of attending the concert at Birdland last night and really must echo what has been said about her wonderful performance. It was my first time at the venue (we drove from CT) and seeing her perform outside of a show. My parents and I loved the atmosphere of Birdland and the great staff. It was very intimate and there didn't seem to be a bad seat in the place. The audience greeted Stephanie with hearty applause, and SJB completely charmed the crowd with her talent, grace, w
 Jul 7 2009, 12:35:33 PM
Iflip4musicals, her show at Birdland is in fact this Monday the 13, not in August, so hopefully you can go. Sorry, I have no advice about the bar seats though.
re: 9to5 Cast Recording clips now on the official site!!
 Jun 30 2009, 11:17:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Eris0303. That price is much better on the wallet for me, and the sample clips feature different parts of the songs than those on the show's site. They sound great.
 Jun 30 2009, 02:33:49 PM
Just bumping this up to see if anyone is going to her performance and album signing at Barnes and Noble tomorrow. Some youtubing or reports would be appreciated. =)

There's also been some good interviews with her posted online recently, such as on HuffingtonPost, if anyone's interested.

Favorite Moments
 Jun 29 2009, 06:33:30 PM
I third "the hydrants are open" on the In the Heights recording, along with all of "Blackout."

I also love the little bit that Andrea does at the end of "Carnival del Barrio" where she riffs on "Adios, Adios." Seth Rudetsky mentioned it on one of his deconstructions. The words are a nod to the song "En Mi Viejo San Juan" a heartbreaking love song to Puerto Rico, where the narrator ages throughout the song and sings of dieing separated from their homeland. Gets me teary every time.

Favorite Moments
 Jun 27 2009, 06:40:12 PM
Many moments I enjoy have already been mentioned but I think my new favorite is on an OCR that isn't out yet!

I really love the clip of "I just might" on the 9 to 5 site. It seems much better than Out of Control/The One I Love. I particularly love the vocals on the lyric "I might really be surprised" because Megan and Steph's voices complement each other so well, and it's great to hear their voices (particularly SJB's) on something with that kind of sound.

re: TMZ Reports Michael Jackson Dies of Cardiac Arrest
 Jun 25 2009, 10:38:41 PM
sabrelady, according to what I saw on MSNBC, some experts think it is unlikely that a judge would grant the mother of Michael's first two children custody because she gave up parental rights twice for money. As for the remaining Beatles catalog (Sony has half) MJ reportedly left it to Paul McCartney in his will or was making arrangements to return it to try and salvage their former friendship.

Wow, I loved Michael when I was younger and still love his music. I felt sorry for him in many

re: 9to5 Mat. 6/21 Ann's Last and Steph Out Review
 Jun 21 2009, 08:30:38 PM
"I have heard about the whole jacket think, but the way she did it was, on the floor stepped on it, then picked it up and chucked it at him. Which sounded like a better version of what Steph does."

That is pretty much what SJB did in previews in L.A. and from what I understand does now. If people complain about it, I think it's about the blocking in general. I can understand why some people think it clashes with the song, but I see nothing wrong with it. Judy is sill kicking Dick out, b

re: It's very clear that NEXT TO NORMAL is the show people are talking abou
 Jun 8 2009, 07:25:10 PM
I have to agree with Scott68 and ray-andallthatjazz86. All the news shows and recap clips on entertainment shows or websites are talking about Billy Elliot and showing clips of it. It's easy to get the perception that everyone is talking about N2N because that is what people who post on these boards talk about or say. But that does not reflect the general population. Now whether or not that matters is a different story, because Billy Elliot will do well regardless, and those talking about N2N wi
re: Anyone else sad 9 to 5 didn't get to perform at the Tony's?
 Jun 8 2009, 04:28:05 PM
I enjoyed the little blip 9 to 5 had in the opening number. One of the better parts, imo, and Dolly got great applause. The leading ladies and cast looked and sounded great. The camera work was awkward. But without the works and with so little time, how could one judge? I am sure that cast would have given us a much better performance than the touring shows they were shortchanged for.

Btw, I think any technical sound problems should be divorced from the performers, for any of the shows.

re: Billy Elliot Tony Performance...
 Jun 8 2009, 04:13:14 PM
I liked the performance as well. It was dramatic, had action, and the projection onto the boards was very cool and gave insight to the historical conflict in the show. All this in one performance. My family was impressed with Trent, as well.

I believe most people think of the family aspects of the show when they think of Billy Elliot, so I think the performance might appeal to others who might of had an unfavorable "bubblegum" image of the show.

re: 9 TO 5: TV ALERTS
 Jun 2 2009, 11:53:18 AM
Yes, and it seems a performance of a song from her album should appear on the site sometime as well. =)
re: Some Thoughts on '9 to 5'
 May 24 2009, 01:45:54 AM
As someone who enjoyed the show, I'm sorry you were disappointed. This show gets such split reactions, and understandably so. I agree with some of your points and disagree with others, but I am trying to understand this comment:

"And the first gag in the show is a man waking up and walking across stage in boxers with a...er...well let's say all of him is awake. Because that's a great way to start a show all about women's empowerment, right!?"

I find this comment puzzling becau

re: Kerry Ellis on Broadway
 May 23 2009, 02:38:05 PM
Yeah, I don't know why people think that she was limited on Broadway in terms of riffs and things like that. I mean, this is where Shoshana Bean was Elphaba, too. I think all of the U.S. companies are pretty lenient on riffs. I think the accent was really the only limitation for Kerry.

I personally find Ms. Ellis' signature growl to be overly long and annoying. It jars me out of the song. Her acting in this role has been underwhelming overall to me as well, despite some bright performa

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You