News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for leeinlondon

Member Name: leeinlondon
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: 37 year old London theatre fan...

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
 Apr 19 2007, 04:48:04 AM
WithoutAtrace - If you can't understand plot points in relatively straight forward plays perhaps you should aim for something lighter ?

Why subject yourself to plays that need some thought from the audience ?

re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
 Apr 18 2007, 10:32:26 AM
"Riedel's more often true than he is false."

As one Broadway lyricist once said to me "Riedel is always right, God knows how he gets his information".

Even when he is right people try to play down his comments as untrue... well they would now wouldn't they !

Annual Huge London discount offers launched today...
 Jan 9 2007, 07:34:49 AM
Lots of cheap seats for London shows in the annual Get Into Theatre offer.

Click on the red banner "View by Price" from the main page, that gives a good overview broken down into Plays / Musicals / Opera etc...

And yes even big shows like Wicked are discounting for some performances, for midweek matinees it is just £25 for top price seat or £15 if you are aged between 16 - 25..

Many shows are discounted for all performances,

Cheers, Lee

re: Truly amazing Phantom documentary on BBC...........
 Dec 27 2006, 02:34:59 PM
No it has not been seen before although confusingly it has the same title "Behind the mask" as a previous doc for the DVD.
re: Truly amazing Phantom documentary on BBC...........
 Dec 27 2006, 01:11:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was included on a DVD of the film or a taping of the live show in future.
Truly amazing Phantom documentary on BBC...........
 Dec 27 2006, 12:46:14 PM
I am a bit of a phantom fan so was looking forward to a 90 minute (no breaks) documentary on BBC2 last night but any fan of theatre would be hooked by it.

They covered the whole show from inception after ALW saw The Phantom of the Opera by Ken Hill, casting, rehearsal, disaterous previews and opening talking to everyone concerned.

Amongst stuff I never knew included:

1) They sacked Hal Prince at one point because they were worried about his then recent failures and ap

re: I absolutely hated 'Caroline, or change' last night.....
 Oct 12 2006, 10:28:17 AM
"I understand why you probably wouldn't like it. I think the show is a lot to take in"

Grin... some of my favorite plays are a lot to take in but if something is well written I usually manage.. ahem !

By the way I can completely see that some peopel will love this piece, this is all my own personal opinion and there is no right and wrong.

Oct 12 2006, 10:23:58 AM
I didn't think it was too distinctly American, just too uninvolving.

Personally I think any good writing can travel Countries or Continents without suffering too much. There might be times when people miss nuances of certain cultural references but thats about it.

Oct 12 2006, 10:02:57 AM
Yes it has to be said that so far mine is a minority view... ahem !
I absolutely hated "Caroline, or change" last night.....
 Oct 12 2006, 09:50:13 AM
I went to the first preview of "Caroline, or change" at the National Theatre last night. As a huge fan of Angels in America I am so disappointed, no I didn't expect it to be anything like the other play but I did expect some quality of writing. I don't think for me it would improve over previews since the cast were very good with what they were given, I just disliked the actual piece so much. In case people are wondering it looks exactly the same as the Broadway version.

At the end of t

re: The Who- Broadway or Bust!
 Sep 20 2006, 12:36:34 PM
I am going to see them on 29th October playing the tiny Roundhouse in Camden, London, there will be perhaps 500 people there.

They will performing their new rock opera "Wire & Glass" for the very first time (and hopefully a few favorites too !!)..

I am very excited !!!

re: Just back from first London 'Wicked' preview..........
 Sep 12 2006, 05:39:07 AM
SPOILERS Also in that section on Broadway I can't remember the three large costumes having necks that extend upwards.

There are other bits that are different such as when Elphaba "dies" there is a swirling cyclone type effect on the canvas in front of her.

Also before Defying Gravity the broomstick flies through the air to her when on Broadway it just kinda pops up out of the ground and she picks it up.

Just back from first London "Wicked" preview..........
 Sep 7 2006, 06:25:29 PM
The show was amazingly well received tonight... a very loud and appreciative audience were with it every step.

The first act was stopped a minute or two in when Glinda's bubble would not come on stage... there were crys of "here's Glinda" and then the cast starred at an empty space till the curtain came down for a few minutes.

They started the show right from the beginning and everything went smoothly this time.

Idina got a HUGE reception from the audience, they went

Madonna as the Witch "Into the Woods" in London
 Sep 7 2006, 08:33:03 AM
but just for two charity performances of the show taking place as the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday 22 October 2006 at 3.00pm and 7.30pm

Other cast members include Joanna Riding and Laura Michelle Kelly

re: For All You TABOO Fans
 Sep 6 2006, 06:24:39 AM
I saw it twice on Broadway after seeing it a LOT in London. The first time I saw it on Broadway I didn't like it all but a few days later on its final Matinee I liked it more having become accustomed to the changes.
re: Martin Ball's West End 'Wicked' Diary
 Sep 5 2006, 06:23:29 AM
I am going to the first preview this Thursday so will report back asap about any changes between the Broadway version and London show.
re: For All You TABOO Fans
 Sep 5 2006, 04:45:41 AM
It si a shame that the sound and picture quality is pretty terrible on this taping... it does not quite capture the atmosphere of seeing it live at The Venue either...

Having said that I am very happy to have this as a keep sake to remind of the many times I saw the show there.

re: Why was Laura Michelle Kelly not offered Mary Poppins...
 Sep 4 2006, 09:24:41 AM
I saw Laura in both Fiddler on broadway and in Mary Poppins here and enjoyed her in both, she certainly has a beautiful voice and personally I was glued to her performances !

re: Harvey in HAIRSPRAY movie?
 Sep 1 2006, 04:46:45 AM
My guess is that the studio insisted on a "name" to lead the film in return for their investment..

but why not just ask Marc Shaiman here or on talkinbroadway. Marc seems to be very honest in his comments for example last week he set the record straight on ATC that neither Jim Broadbent nor Billy Chrystal had signed for the film and left there were just initial discussions.

re: SITPWG Question....
 Aug 31 2006, 11:39:16 AM
Yes I destest that number and the reason is that George almost comes across as a fun loving out going happy chap.

I ask you would THAT person have allowed Dot to walk away from the relationship taking their baby ????

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You