News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for AfterTheSky

Member Name: AfterTheSky
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jake Gyllenhaal as Seymour
 Apr 21 2015, 05:14:15 PM

So I was concerned about the age difference for a hot minute when I realized it actually may make the show BETTER. Seymour's a lonely orphan, with no real friends. It makes so much SENSE why he'd fall for someone who could, age-wise, be his mother. It also makes Audrey all-the-more tragic, as she's later in life and still couldn't find love. Also makes her a more obvious target for Scrivello. And we're talking about LITTLE SHOP. It's not a melancholy drama, it's a camp musical that also

re: Auditions songs for Non-singers
 Aug 10 2009, 09:00:31 AM
I feel your plight - luckily I never planned to sing beyond high school! Are you familiar with "A Hymn to Him" from My Fair Lady? It's the one where he sings "Why can't a woman be like a man?" As you might know, Rex Harrison was legendary for speaking his songs.
re: Nothing really important on Broadway these past 35 years?
 Jan 22 2009, 09:48:54 PM
I think the fact that the Tony Winner this year was a Latino-centric show is incredibly important. Not to mention the musical diversity of the score.

And, "Spring Awakening" is not everybody's favorite, but I think the way it handles certain issues make it a very important show. Similar with Rent, and how it addresses AIDS, homosexuality, transvestites...it embraces so many marginalized "types." It's also important for how many tweens and teens got into Broadway because of it. I thin

re: Overanalyzed Shows
 Jan 18 2009, 08:41:40 PM
I'm with Tevye on this one. One's overanalysis is another's enjoyment of the show. If analysis brings audience members and scholars pleasure, what's the harm? Into the Woods may not be intentionally about AIDS, but if that symbolism gives an audience member a special meaning, what's wrong? Yes, some representations are absurd but I'm all for anybody enjoying any show in any way they can.
re: Who did you see before they were famous??
 Jan 17 2009, 06:22:58 PM
I saw Skylar Astin play Jean Valjean at Stagedoor Manor's "Les Miserables." Great place for early star spottings. Not as famous, but I saw Erich Rosenberg at Stagedoor rehearsing as the lead in "Little Me." He played Gaudio on the "Jersey Boys" tour.

Not for me but: a good friend of mine is the step-nephew of Mandy Patinkin.

re: Breaking News: Jeremy Piven Releases Statement in Reponse to Equity Gri
 Jan 17 2009, 02:04:23 PM
dg, I don't really think it's fair to generalize about all movie stars that way. There may even be more jerks than not, but there also some lovely and classy ones out there.
re: Stephen Sondheim... is it a tour?
 Jan 16 2009, 11:04:45 PM
I would recommend this, simply because Frank Rich's book "Ghost Light" is a must for any theatre-lover. He truly loves the art.
re: Zaks Helmed 101 DALAMATIANS: THE MUSICAL Tour 'Unleashes' in Fall '09
 Jan 16 2009, 11:02:59 PM
I try to give EVERYTHING a chance until I've at least heard the music, but this just sounds ridiculous. I have to admit, though, the whole "from a dog's point of view" seems sort of neat and cute.
re: Do you think that August:Osage County has the potential to become a classic American play?
 Jan 16 2009, 11:00:17 PM
I don't think a film version would prevent stage versions. For example, the movie of Albee's "..Virginia Woolf?" is loved, but there are still successful stage versions.
Waiting
 Jan 16 2009, 03:01:12 PM
Just seconding your insights - that's how I interpreted the sitting in the car from the get go. "Am I 'crazier' because I'm NOT getting help?"
re: How old were you when you discovered Sondheim?
 Jan 15 2009, 02:03:37 PM
Hey all - it's the younger regnadk on a new username. I believe I was a sophomore in high school, 14 or 15. My best friend at the time showed me the DVD of the OBC of "Into the Woods." It was love. I never actually got to see the show live until about 4 years later but I was not disappointed.

I tell people I want to have brain-babies with Sondheim. Just so brilliant.

Cast Recording of Next to Normal
 Jan 15 2009, 01:51:09 PM
hey all! It's regnadk on a new username, decided 21 was a bit old to stop using my dad's name even if I did get his old computer. Anyway, I'd love for this show to go to Broadway as much as the next fan. But I'd love for the economy to perk up. If touristy shows like Spamalot can't survive, I don't knwo if Next to Normal could. Obviously I think Next to Normal is of infinitely higher quality, but that doesn't mean it would sell better or even as well.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You