News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for AJ19852

AJ19852 Profile Photo
Member Name: AJ19852
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Ramin Karimloo NY Appearance August 1
 Jul 27 2013, 07:14:24 PM
Saw his show in Canada last year. He was in good voice but he would announce a song from a famous show like West Side Story and get a round of applause for the title and then he'd say that he's never seen the show. Based on his comments it looks like he has not seen any of the classic musicals. And he seems very proud of the fact!

Anyone else seen him do this in concerts?

Does Sondheim write better for women than for men?
 Jun 20 2013, 12:03:04 PM
I think it's true of most composers... Gershwin, Porter and Berlin were at their best writing for Ethel Merman. Rodgers & Hammerstein score two of their biggest hits writing for Mary Martin.

Female characters can present an emotional punch. The best Broadway torch songs are written for women. Men are better with angry songs: Sweeney's Epiphany, Buddy's The Right Girl and Ben's breakdown that climaxes Live Laugh Love.

Why the anger Scripps
 Nov 13 2010, 01:40:31 AM
Why the anger Scripps ... have you ever met Mark Andrew ... He is one the biggest suppporters of the Toronto theater scene and a really nice guy ... I see him at openings all the time and he goes out of his way to promote local productions ... listen to his radio show ... he gets all the top talent to appear ... I think you need anger management classes.
60 years ago tonight (Oct 12, 1950)
 Oct 12 2010, 03:37:11 PM
Hi Mark, trying to PM you about getting a copy of your mix of Call Me Madam but for some reason it won't go thru. But I would like a copy for my collection.
AJ
PS - Great program on Sunday celebrating the 75th anniversary of Porgy & Bess!

Young Frankenstein tour comes to Toronto
 Mar 23 2010, 04:54:22 AM
It didn't recoup? I figured it had run more than a year so it would have recouped. Didn't Mel Brooks forbid the finances to be published? This makes it worse, they are touring a bad production of a flop show and expecting people to pay good money to see it? Twisted.
 Mar 22 2010, 06:17:12 AM
Jersey Boys has been playing Toronto since August of 2008. Crazy for You ran for two years here. Show Boat played 18 months here. Even so Young Frankenstein is only booked for 5 weeks at the Princess of Wales.

I thought Avenue Q was a riot when it played here. The current hit My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding is also very funny, and has been extended three times so far. I laughed a lot at The Producers both in Toronto and New York. Evil Dead was funny and it played here for ov

re: Latest 'Phantom' sequel article
 Mar 21 2010, 04:48:55 PM
I like the Coney Island Waltz. That's all.
 Mar 21 2010, 04:38:33 PM
I kept hearing how funny the show was so I went prepared to laugh a lot. Like at The Producers. Not this time. Nothing clever about it at all.
 Mar 21 2010, 04:36:37 PM
Huh? What are you talking about. Mamma Mia was here once and closed 6 years ago. Wicked was here twice for 2 months each time. Those shows were at least entertaining.

I'm talking about a tour of a show that was a hit on Broadway but is amateurishly bad.

Mar 21 2010, 04:28:37 PM
Saw it yesterday. How could a piece of candy coated crap like this manage to last a year in New York?

The worst thing about it: It's not at all funny. A lot of stupid jokes but no real laughs.

It also has a terrible score except for one song Puttin' On the Ritz which is from an old Fred Astaire movie.

This is the wort musical I have ever seen.

Yet this show ran for over a year on Broadway in the largest theatre on the street.

How is that possible?

Love Never Dies cast recording
 Mar 20 2010, 04:46:58 AM
Bought a copy tonight. Don't like it much except Coney Island Waltz. Rest is very flat and dull. And the levels are all over the place. Keep having to turn it up and down.
Raul Esparza Joins Encores! ANYONE CAN WHISTLE with Donna Murphy & Sutton F
 Mar 20 2010, 04:38:28 AM
I envy you guys in New York being able to just buy tickets and go to this. Enjoy it for me! :)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You