News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BroadwayLuv

Member Name: BroadwayLuv
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Les Miz, Phantom beach towels for sale - super cheap
 Aug 3 2017, 04:30:27 PM

Plush enough to be used as bath towel.

Large enough to be used as a beach blanket. Each is 5 feet long by 32 in. wide.

They have the familiar logos for the show (mask, Cosette) - Phantom towel is black, Les Miz gray. I can send pics on request.

$7 for both. In good condition - no holes or stains.

SMASH
 May 6 2013, 11:58:11 PM
Play Esq. - Hadn't you noticed, SMASH exists in a world with no lawyers, agents or Equity? Three-quarters of the absurd plot points on this ridiculous show wouldn't happen in real life because of them. Even that stupid faux edgy announcement to the audience before "Hit List" about it's okay to use your cellphone because "we don't own this show any more than you do." The show/theater's attorneys wouldn't allow that; it would let people argue that you waived copyright protection!

Dig into your musicals knowledge to answer this question...
 Sep 9 2011, 12:31:12 PM
This question is inspired by seeing "Follies."
In that show, "Broadway Baby" -- a GREAT number -- is sung by Hattie, a relatively minor character.
My question: Is this the biggest disparity between quality (showstopper-ness) of a song and significance of the character who sings it?
Yes, yes, I know all the ex-Weismann girls are important to the creators' vision for their story and this is no reflection on Jayne Houdyshell's performance. It's just that Hattie is mostly comic relief, a

Quick question for those who've seen THE BOOK OF MORMON
 Jun 30 2011, 11:32:31 PM
What was your favorite number in the show?
Anyone know the running time of LOST IN THE STARS at City Ctr Encores?
 Feb 4 2011, 02:46:52 PM

Wilson Jermaine Heredia as Usnavi?
 Sep 20 2010, 05:08:35 PM
Over the weekend I saw "Tales from the Tunnel," which is playing in the basement of 45 Bleecker St. theater. Wilson Jermaine Heredia, the original (and Tony-winning) Angel from "Rent," is in it. Throughout the show I kept thinking: He'd be good as Usnavi in "In the Heights." He's about 10 yrs older than the guys who have played it, but I don't think the age matters too much - and he looks younger anyway.

What do you think?

Dropping the word "gay" from lyrics - which showtunes would change
 Sep 20 2010, 04:44:05 PM
So which showtunes would have to be changed if this becomes a trend?

"I Remember It Well" from Gigi
"A Wonderful Guy" from South Pacific
are a couple that come to mind right away, but I know there are lots more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100902/ap_on_re_as/as_australia_song_controversy

SYDNEY – An Australian school principal has asked students to stop using the word "gay" when singing a classic children's song, but said Thursday no offense was intended — he was simply trying to keep the kids from laughing.

Principal Garry Martin of Le Page Primary School in Melbourne said he instructed students to substitute the line "Fun your life must be" for the original "Gay your life must be" when singing "Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree." The song about a native Australian bird is a favorite around campfires from New Zealand to Canada.

Martin said he was playing a recording of the song for the students about a month ago when the line "gay your life must be" produced a flurry of giggles throughout the classroom. Some of the students use the word "gay" as a schoolyard taunt, he said, but don't understand its true meaning. And so, to calm them down, he told them to swap in the word "fun" for "gay."

"It wasn't misplaced political correctness, it wasn't homophobia, there was nothing really calculated in doing it," he told The Associated Press. "I could've stopped the whole class and gone into a very caring, supportive explanation of gay being quite a reasonable choice in lifestyle that some people make, but I was only talking with 7- and 8-year-olds and I think that sort of thing is better explained more fully with parents."

His decision erupted into a controversy, he said, after one of the students told his parents about Martin's change to the song. Word then spread from the parents to friends to the local newspaper, which ran a story — and Martin found himself being bombarded with angry e-mails.

"Some think I'm the devil incarnate," he said.

Crusader Hillis, CEO of the gay and lesbian advocacy group The Also Foundation, didn't go that far — but he did call the lyrical swap an overreaction.

"It sends a signal to people that just because a word has two meanings, that one of those meanings is unacceptable and that's really putting us backwards," Hillis said. "Even if it's done for good intentions because 'gay' is being used in schoolyards as a slur, I think they need to use the word as a conversation rather than banning it."

Martin said his decision was a mistake made with the best of intentions, and he plans to speak to the students about how different words hold different meanings across generations.

He also plans to ask students to sing the original version of the song.

But, he added, "We might not sing it that often now."

Can we please stop all the stupid "racist/racism" threads? (The ones based on legitimate concerns are okay.)
 May 18 2010, 04:58:20 PM
I don't know if people are just trying to faux-agitate -- throw up a "this is racist" comment and see what happens -- but these are really annoying. Yes, I mean the recent Ragtime question. I assume this is a joke because it's so idiotic. Every year certain actors who some people think deserve a nom don't get nominated -- some of them are white, some are black, sometimes they're even another race! Only the black actor from Race got nominated, ditto for Superior Donuts. That means nothing vis a v
More Fun with Newsweek's Homophobicest Openly Gay Reporter
 May 7 2010, 06:16:26 PM
Everyone who's jumping all over this...just remember it if you make a fuss when a straight actor plays a gay role. Perhaps no poster here has done that, but I know I've heard plenty of complaints about, for ex., 'A Single Man' or 'Brokeback Mtn' from gay/gay-friendly people.

The problem with this story is that it's a trend piece based on only a couple of instances of the alleged trend. I don't think his examples were completely invalid, but he overlooks a whole bunch of gay-as-straight

questions about Come Fly Away (for those who've seen it)
 Mar 21 2010, 09:46:38 PM
I hate to sound like a dunce, but I was a little confused by the "narrative" of this show, except for the little bald waiter and his girl.

What was Karine Plantadit (the black woman) saying at the start of Act 2? I know it's in French so we're not necessarily supposed to get every word, but what was the gist of her ranting? And what does she say to the audience later in the show?

Why did they all start taking off their clothes? Weren't they still in the cocktail lounge, or was

Running time of RACE?
 Dec 1 2009, 11:53:22 AM
If you've seen it, how long is it?

(I know some ticketing services give running times, but they're not always accurate.)

re: Am I the only one that actually likes Matt Cavenaugh?
 Sep 14 2009, 05:34:53 PM
i agree he's kinda bland. And I didn't like him in Grey Gardens (as Joe Kennedy) because he was so puny-looking next to the tall, elegant Christine Ebersole and Sara Gettelfinger. I was thinking Who is this wimpy guy?
Yeah, so obviously with those abs he's not wimpy. But he and all these other ripped actors -- male & female -- should keep their shirts on onstage unless they're playing someone in 2009 who would go to the gym regularly. In other words, not! because few musical characters fit t

re: LITTLE HOUSE at the Papermill Playhouse
 Sep 14 2009, 05:21:21 PM
I saw it over the weekend and here are my thoughts:

Melissa Gilbert oddly enough does not seem entirely comfortable in the role. She seemed much more at ease doing the quick-footed dancing (curtain call) than singing "Wild Child" -- in which she seemed to be concentrating on staying in tune more than emoting/delivering the song & its message.
Unfortunately, I'd say a major fault is blah-ness of Ma and Pa. Problems with Melissa G. described above. As for Steve Blanchard, I thin

cellphone incident at BURN THE FLOOR thursday
 Aug 7 2009, 02:41:09 PM
I was appalled by something I witnessed Thurs. nite at BURN THE FLOOR. There was a group of 4 young people (together) in a row. For the half hour before showtime, 2 of them were texting or whatever nonstop. These were not cellphones but IPhone or Blackberry--one with a bigger screen. When the lights went down, an annoucement was made to turn off cell phones, and the first 2 performers came on stage, one of the women was still texting. The person behind her told her to stop, the show was starting
THE PHILANTHROPIST read only if you've seen it!
 Apr 25 2009, 10:46:04 AM
Please help me...what exactly is this play about? The dialogue in the first act didn't seem to have much to do with the dialogue in the second act, subject-wise. This play has a lot of talking, but I'm not sure what it's saying. And what does the first scene with the student have to do with the subsequent goings-on? Sorry to sound dumb, it didn't help that my mind was wandering (it's not the most exciting play to watch), but I need Cliff Notes!
LEAVES OF GLASS (off-Bway) starring Euan Morton, Xanthe Elbrick
 Feb 5 2009, 10:41:24 AM
I thought President Obama outlawed torture...so how is this show running?

Seriously, why on earth does this play not have an intermission??? It's 2 hours & 10 minutes long!!! Excuse me - 2 boring hours & 10 boring minutes.

I have not been this bored in the theater since I was 10 yrs old and taken to a play I was too young to understand.

The last 5 scenes, I kept expecting each to be the final scene. And that second to last scene...interminable!!! I have to control myse

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You