News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RyanNewYork

RyanNewYork Profile Photo
Member Name: RyanNewYork
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Rent WIll Perform At Calif. High School!
 Feb 26 2009, 03:08:24 PM
Craig,

I'd absolutely agree with you that we can't know what went on in a conversation between 2 people. Which, is why I am giving equal weight to both the School Board/Principal's statement and the drama teachers.

No, I don't write newspaper articles, I write opinion pieces designed to accomplish something. But, I don't manufacture quotes and consider what I write to be factual. I stand by anything in my Huff-Po "reporting."

In regards to this case, I believe we'l

Feb 26 2009, 02:27:13 PM
I'm not sure how it's a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that one person in a conversation is not telling the truth.

It's also not a conspiracy to suggest the principal had shown disregard for the safety of female and gay students. As, I reported here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-j-davis/atmosphere-of-hate-in-ren_b_168361.html

So, could the teacher be lying? It's possible. Is it more likely, the Principal is a bigot and it lying to cover up her embarrassing behavior? I believe so.

I reach that conclusion based on the complete reporting of Rent's cancellation and my many conversations with those involve - not from a reprinted press release in the LA Times.

I'll continue following the story on my blog and The Huffington Post.

Ryan
ryanjdavis.blogspot.com

Feb 26 2009, 02:09:58 PM
Craig,

It doesn't really "sum it up" - it's taken from the School Board's press release which backs up the principal's version of the story. This version came at a later date, and directly conflicts Mr. Martin, the drama teacher's version of events.

So, one of them is lying. The Principal or the teacher.

But, certainly - the press release from the school board the LA Times reprints doesn't sum anything up.

Ryan

Feb 26 2009, 01:57:17 PM
I don't ever claim to be a journalist. It's a blog guys and I'm a political activist, who just happens to direct theater.

Thanks for all the traffic though, it's very appreciated.

Ryan
ryanjdavis.blogspot.com

Feb 26 2009, 12:18:03 PM
How is the School Board or the Principal not equally biased? You choose to side with the administration here, because you seem to really love authority. I choose to side with the students and teachers, because i know how horrible school administrations can be. Especially this one, that fails to punish students for threats of rape and murder.

Sorry, TheCharlston - you fail on this one.

Ryan
ryanjdavis.blogspot.com

Feb 26 2009, 12:14:03 PM
I spoke to Mr. Martin for this piece:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-j-davis/atmosphere-of-hate-in-ren_b_168361.html

Which, I feel, brings the principal's motives into doubt.

Feb 26 2009, 12:09:12 PM
I don't claim to know everything - all I know is that I interviewed many students and parents for my piece - all who are "legit" sources.

New media = citizen journalism. Times are changing guys.

Feb 26 2009, 10:04:08 AM
He did provide, on Monday.

The Principal wasn't interested in reading the script until the media uproar. That really brought her around.

Feb 26 2009, 09:38:48 AM
I have to say, that based on everything I've read and the interviews that I've had with students, parents, and others involved that the Principal is the real "villain" in this story.

Ryan
ryanjdavis.blogspot.com

Rent WIll Perform At Calif. High School!
 Feb 25 2009, 11:01:40 PM
I haven't finished the entire story yet - but the first part is up:

http://ryanjdavis.blogspot.com/

re: Response to High School Cancelation of RENT on Alleged Grounds of Gay C
 Feb 20 2009, 03:31:54 AM
Looks like they may get to do the show after all:

http://ryanjdavis.blogspot.com/2009/02/rent-may-go-on-at-calif-school.html

Also, did you all read about how the principal has a history of tolerance of anti-gay language in the school? It's in the above article.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You