News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Renart

Member Name: Renart
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best outdoor production you've seen?  Jul 24 2020, 10:59:34 PM

London Assurance at American Players Theater in Spring Green, Wisconsin. I love that place. Wish I could get back there.

I was at one show, I think it was The Play's the Thing, and it started to sprinkle so they paused and removed the upholstered furniture. After awhile they started up again. It started to rain again and they stopped again. They came back and restarted again. When it started raining again, the actor onstage gave a good-natured exasperated sigh and turned to the few

Catholic High School Musical Choices  Jun 26 2019, 03:58:51 PM

In about 1980 my parents and I went to see the local Catholic H.S. production of South Pacific and got to hear a high school Bloody Mary yelling, "Bastard!!!"  The nuns sitting in front of us were not fazed.

Meanwhile a few years later a different local Catholic H.S. put on Two Gentlemen of Verona, although they did make some changes to Thurio's Samba.

So is it okay for audience members to sing along during musicals?  May 29 2019, 12:57:01 PM

LxGstv said:

"I think it’s worth noting again that Dominique Morisseau who wrote the book for Ain’t Too Proud actually retweeted the article in agreement, she wants the audience to participate in her shows."

Interesting.  The writer of the book encouraging audience participation during someone else's part of the show.  I wonder if she would be as generous if people "participated" during the book scenes:  "Boooo

Musical Religion Project  Nov 27 2018, 12:42:56 PM
Jean Valjean - forgiveness, redemption
Next Musical based on a movie?  Oct 5 2017, 11:44:49 AM

Several years ago in a previous thread on this subject I had proposed any of the Ealing comedies, in particular Passport to Pimlico.

I had specifically called out one of them as an exception, however, because it would be too difficult:  Kind Hearts and Coronets, which we all know became A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.  So that's my track record.  Of course I could tell myself that someone read my post and took it as a challeng

We're not allowed to talk about Ben in Marc's shows?  Jun 29 2017, 10:40:55 AM

This just in

Stephen Sondheim, guilt-ridden after reading recent broadwayworld threads, admitted to being a talentless hack and that his success is totally due to his boyhood friendship with the son of influential Broadway composer and producer Oscar Hammerstein II. 

"I don't really have much talent, you see, and it was very important to have the support of Mr. Hammerstein in the beginning.  He was like a second father to me, and I gotta tell you, I used that

If you could go back in time and see only one Broadway show, what would it be?  Jun 16 2017, 02:15:25 PM

Agree with many already mentioned.

would add

Girl Crazy (1930) - Glenn Miller, Gene Krupa, Benny Goodman and Jimmy Dorsey in the pit orchestra!

James Corden to Host the 2016 Tony Awards!  Feb 4 2016, 08:48:12 AM

Jarethan said: "I would love it if they did a few of his driving along singing episodes -- whatever they are called -- say with Angela Lansbury and / or Barbara Cook, Patti Lupone, Bernadette Peters, Jerry Herman, Andrew Lloyd Webber, etc., the greats only and things they are associated with...ideally any composers could at least carry a tune, if not sing well.  (Bette Midler doing a few Hello Dolly songs, Liza Minelli...Kander and Ebb).  Since it would be taped, it would

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...  Jan 14 2016, 01:36:35 PM

My thoughts on casting/character:

Divine's Edna was not intended to be "Gee, that's a man playing a women" so much as "Sheesh, that is one ugly slob of a woman."  Then through the course of the film the audience realizes that, despite their appearances (which the audience pre-judged), the Turnblads had more class than just about anyone else in the story.  I felt that was what John Waters was trying to depict.  This is why I so disl

The WIZ LIVE : post your comments and thoughts live during the show here  Dec 4 2015, 10:37:21 AM

LizzieCurry said: "I don't know The Wiz as a show very well at all (the one time I saw it live was a probably illegally truncated version with about 10 white preteens), "

I think you and I must have seen the same show!  smiley

"but what I suspected were newer lines from Fierstein

What are your FAVORITE lesser known Cole Porter songs?  Dec 3 2015, 09:06:21 AM

The Guthrie in MPLS tried a Cole Porter jukebox version of Roman Holiday that wasn't successful.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1046960#4298035

I might have been able to overlook the show's other shortcomings (or maybe not) if they had chosen better songs.  It's like they went out of their way to pick the most unmemorable Porter songs they could and just shove them in wherever.  The only ones from the song list that I remember are You Do Something to Me and Night and Day but only because I was familiar with those songs before I saw the show.  None of the other songs left any impression on me.

Cicely Tyson, Rita Moreno and Carole King named 2015 Kennedy Center Honorees  Jul 16 2015, 04:23:53 PM
"the woman actually freaking glows from within"

She should have that checked.

The five best 11 o'clock numbers in Broadway history  Aug 7 2013, 10:57:29 AM
I've not seen it on stage, I've only heard the recording, but would Meditation II from Shenandoah count as an 11:00 number?
Do you avoid Manistee, Michigan?  Aug 7 2013, 09:56:08 AM
By coincidence I was just in Manistee yesterday morning. US 31 runs right through it so it's hard to avoid unless you know the back roads, which I don't. Happened to drive past the community theater (9 to 5, Peter Pan, Rocky Horror this season). Seemed like a nice little town. But I guess everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.
re: Songs That Make You Cry No Matter How Many Times You Listen to them....  Jul 23 2013, 04:24:31 PM
Momma Look Sharp from 1776
The Letter from Billy Elliot

Both are parent/child songs of loss. Very difficult to bear.

The best thing that could happen to Chicago is to have another fire and burn down  Jul 10 2013, 01:20:09 PM
"all of which have won a Regional Theater Tony. Taht's FIVE. The next closest city (San Fran) has two."

Minneapolis has three: Guthrie (1982), Children's Theater (2003), Jeune Lune (2005)

Anyone Been Berated In Rush Ticket Line By Al Hirschfield Ticket Personnel?  Jul 2 2013, 02:11:56 PM
"I have always found that If I need to leave the line for a potty break or whatever, I tell not only the people next to me on line but also the monitor if he/she is there also. That way it is less likely to have a problem when I return."

I just got an image in my head of those in queue saying to the line monitor, in Cool Hand Luke fashion, "Goin' potty, boss!" and a rifle-toting man in mirrored sunglasses silently nods his approval.

Cute little lyrics you love  Jun 19 2013, 03:32:18 PM
It's the fragment, not the day.
It's the pebble, not the stream.
It's the ripple, not the sea
that is happening.

Not the building but the beam,
Not the garden but the stone,
Only cups of tea
and history
and someone in a tree.

My favorite line from "You're the Top" is probably

You're the nimble tread
of the feet of Fred
Astaire.

Adam Pascal sounds off on the haters!  Jun 5 2013, 04:23:13 PM
Do we realy need a new thread every time someone flubs a line in a show? It's live theater for cryin' out loud. When I "pay good money" to see a show, it's with the knowledge that I'm seeing a live performance where anything can happen. Wasn't there a thread a while back where people shared examples of mistakes they had seen on stage. It was lighthearted and not meant to point out the deficencies of the performers. But starting a thread specifically for one performance is pretty lame. Pasca
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS Previews  May 29 2013, 11:55:49 AM
I saw a local production of this at a small black box theater in Minneapolis last fall and I liked it a lot. The style is very reminiscent of The 39 Steps (which I saw on Broadway and loved) wherein 1 actor plays the main part and the rest of of the small wacky cast plays everyone else. I'm glad to see this show made it to the big time.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You