News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for grownupgroupie

grownupgroupie Profile Photo
Member Name: grownupgroupie
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: BWW FAQ: I'm new! Help me!
 Jul 14 2005, 04:39:07 PM
Good work, doll--this is great!
re: Brooke Shield's Rizzo In Grease...
 Jul 7 2005, 10:48:56 PM
All I can think of us that she was in NY on 9/11 and now she's in London for this. Poor thing--this on top of being constantly attacked by Dr. Crazy McCrazykins, I mean Cruise.

I didn't hear her as Rizzo, but I'm feelin' the Brooke love right now. Go Brooke!!

re: Wicked in L.A.: Stephanie out, Jenna in??
 Jun 22 2005, 08:08:44 PM
not_that_girl, how is the lottery looking? I can't imagine it's going to be like in NY, but you never know.

Hell, I just hope I get to see Stephanie at some point in this....we're going this Sunday and again in July, so I'm sure we'll get her and Kendra at least once. (I mean, we're not talking Chenowith here....who I saw only once even though I saw the show 3x while she was in it!!)

Oh, and DAME? If that is Charo in your new av, you are my hero.

re: Does anyone know of any dates Shoshana will be out of Wicked? Possibly
 Jun 16 2005, 03:37:44 PM
Parks, they may have been tickets for the Pantages in LA....they do have an orchestra row Z.
re: Movies Stars in Broadway
 Jun 15 2005, 05:21:01 PM
belle--Yep. It's just a sad reality....the grosses for Wonderful Town (for example) went up substantially after Brooke Shields joined the cast. (Now granted, the whole Murphy leaving thing--which we've discussed, actually!--is a totally different ball game, but Shields's joining the show actually brought about some sell-out houses which simply didn't happen with Murphy. Which is a travesty, of course, b/c even though Shields totally acquitted herself, Murphy is a GENIUS.) But they have to ge
 Jun 15 2005, 05:13:07 PM
bdwaybelle, in terms of the marketing of shows, you're absolutely right...it IS all about the star and not the show itself.
 Jun 15 2005, 05:03:22 PM
Being a celebrity and being theatre-trained/more "talented" are not mutually exclusive. It might not be the NORM for "celebs" to have had formal training, but it's kind of disparaging to those tv/film actors who HAVE to make that generalization. A lot of actors start in the theatre because that's what they love and then do more tv/film (and occasionally make a name for themselves doing so) because that's what pays the bills.....

A few examples: Marcia Cross, Felicity Huffman, Debra

Jun 15 2005, 04:41:12 PM
...and this is why it's COMMERCIAL theatre vs. LEGIT.

That's just the way it goes. Sucks, but it's all about the box office!

re: Does anyone know of any dates Shoshana will be out of Wicked? Possibly
 Jun 15 2005, 04:39:49 PM
The mojito or the WEE joke?
re: Does anyone know of any dates Shoshana will be out of Wicked? Possibly July 5th?
 Jun 14 2005, 09:10:00 PM
I have no inside July 5 information that will help you out. But I think the fact that you want "to WEE" Saycon is, perhaps, something you and R. Kelly might want to discuss.
re: My Friend told me that Brooklyn was......
 Jun 11 2005, 06:02:06 PM
Um, no. The only similarites in my view are the poverty of the characters and the fact that the producers of Brooklyn desperately wanted to tap into the RENT fanbase demographic.

RENT is based on La Boeheme, with the lower east side stepping in for Paris and AIDS taking the place of TB. Brooklyn tries to be an urban fairytale about a girl finding her long lost father and this kind of odd American Idol-esque competition.

So, I'm sure many might disagree, but I see few simi

re: Suggestions for audition song for HAIR?
 Jun 9 2005, 03:35:46 PM
ITA, Bobby. Beautiful and heartbreaking.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jun 9 2005, 03:22:57 PM
Thanks Goth....not a bad idea re: JCS.

And "Can't make you love me" (the Raitt song) is rather Sheila-esque too. Hmmm.

-sorry for the double-post--

Jun 9 2005, 03:20:59 PM
Thanks, Michael.

Should probably clarify that I DO sing, but I am an actor who sings vs. a musical theatre actor....so it's more an apprehension about making the right choice vs. the singing itself? Does that make sense? But I like your tip about choosing something more "character"-focused.

(I look younger than I am, but Frank Mills is still too ingenue for me.)

Thanks for the time!

Jun 9 2005, 03:01:19 PM
Thanks Bobby. I'm brainstorming.

(And your boyfriend IS a doll )

re: Ferris Bueller
 Jun 9 2005, 02:48:32 PM
timote, you took the words out of my mouth: Broderick would be GREAT as Ed Rooney!!

And I love the idea of Ruck as the clueless dad.

Who would be the embittered Jennifer Grey character? Marisa Jaret Winokur?

Suggestions for audition song for HAIR?
 Jun 9 2005, 02:46:24 PM
Sorry to clutter the board with yet another audition song thread--this is my first.

Any suggestions for a 30-ish mezzo/alto1 audition song for Hair? I'm more of an actor who sings, so my "book" is limited. My usual songs are "Sorry, Grateful" from Company and
"Spark of Creation" from Children of Eden. Have also done a Bonnie Raitt song when rock/pop was specified which got a call-back.

They haven't specified broadway or rock/pop.

Maybe something from Full Monty

re: audition song help
 Jun 9 2005, 02:40:48 PM
It's cheeky, but I think the idea of a guy using "dance 10, looks 3" is kind of genuis. Love it.
re: Hmmmmm... this is interesting.
 Jun 5 2005, 01:09:49 AM
Yeah, me too--my response was "Who?"

If she's mostly known for daytime, then she's just NOT that well-known!

re: Equity v. Nonequity....whatever, is the Chicago tour the same as the Bway Chicago?
 Jun 4 2005, 06:59:22 PM
It's called scabbing.

But it's kind of neither here nor there in terms of the question--which was, I believe, more prodcution-oriented.

(ETA: "Show listings manager" Is this new??)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You